Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

sniper drone in 6th edition
Old 24 May 2013, 23:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question sniper drone in 6th edition

hey so i know not alot of tau player regularly run sniper drones, but i was wondering if those who do think that the new sniper rifle drones are better then the old rail rifle version?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 00:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The new sniper drones are significantly better than the old ones. I still don't run them... but point-per-kill they are among the best value of any unit in our codex. The downside is that they still take up the heavy support slot, a space which has always been and continues to be crowded.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2013, 08:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

SNIPER DRONES ARE AMAZING!!!!!
sure they take up a heavy support slot, but seriously, against any monster/teq army you will seriously never ever ever regret having them.
Why the fervour you may ask
Why the obsession with these gods of quickscope
several reasons which will no doubt make you realise how good they are.

1) Firesight marksmen are the most cost effective markerlights in the game! Where normally a markerlight hit is worth 25pts per turn, these guys do it for 13pts, almost half. A great little bonus to these squads.

2) Ethereal power works for 24" with sniper drones. This means that at 24" in a squad of nine (roughly 150pts) you get 27 sniper shots at BS 5. Thats 24 hits.... on average 4 will rend, and of the other 8 that wound, theres a good chance that 2 will get through against terminators, 3 against marines. Bam, they just made their points back. In ANY game where you feel that you are not pressed for heavy support they are fantastic. They also serve as the best monster hunters in the Tau arsenal, and i refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees. They will drop a hive tyrant in a turn without any real difficulty, and to be honest i pity the new Eldar wraithknight thing when it meets these bad boys.

3) Sniper drones are still jump infantry. This means that you can hide the entire unit out of sight behind a wall in the enemy turn, fly over in the movement phase, rapid fire, then jump back over in the assault phase. A surprisingly useful ability.

So yeah, there you have it. They are fantastic, and surprisingly tough. I have used them in 4 games thus far, within 3 of which they survived the whole game, and within all of them dealt at least 300 points worth of damage. So much better than the old ones. On top of this, they can still do all the cool tau overwatch stuff, are nigh on impossible to charge due to defensive grenades, and are just in general one of the unsung heroes of the new Tau codex, the other being Piranha hordes.

I run them in maximum units in practically every game i play. They are least effective between (but not including 1500 and 200 points (e.g. 1750) where you are likely to have enough points to take more expensive heavy support choices. That being said, as well as being amongst the best monster hunters in the game, they also serve as a good horde counter once all the monsters are down, given that they will kill 12 squishies without fail. In essence, the only thing that they are not fantastic against are high armour vehicles, but you can't have everything i guess.

So in conclusion: Key Points:
1) Always run them near an ethereal for the extra shot
2) Priority 1= monsters 2=teq 3=meq/light vehicles
3) feel free to move them around as you rapid fire
4) Never forget that they are bs 5
5) keep the firesight marksmen behind them. When they die the unit is only average
6) Acknowledge their godlike status

Last edited by Emberkahn; 26 May 2013 at 08:49.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2013, 22:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am not the rabid fan that Emberkahn is, however I agree on many of his points. additionally, with that high a rate of fire and the Stealth ability, these guys make wonderful Area Denial units that can slow or prevent the enemy from coming a certain direction.

Stick them in some ruins for a nice 3+ cover save, or if there is a real building on the field, a +2 save.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2013, 09:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927 View Post
I am not the rabid fan that Emberkahn is
Mistake number one. You really should be
This unit will destroy a hive tyrant, a nob biker squad, or a wrathlord EVERY TURN! Seriously, what's not to love. We really do not need 3 heavy support choices in most games, and as such these guys make an excellent augmentation for any list.
Old 02 Jun 2013, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to sniperhavens
Default Drones

How do you determine where to place the Drones? By that I mean they have to be within how far of the Marksmen? And if he dies do they have to move to another Marksmen or can they operate independently?
Old 03 Jun 2013, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They must be in unit coherency, which is that every model must be within 2" of another model, so at least one drone will be at most 2" away from a marksman. Marksmen and their drones are a unit, not independent characters meaning that if the drones, or the marksmen die the remaining unit (be it just marksmen, just drones, or a mix of the two) remain on the board, and can only be joined by independent characters (as per usual).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2013, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The advantage of this is that most walls are not more than an inch wide. With this in mind you can deploy your entire unit behind a wall out of sight, move over (no dangerous terrain test) shoot, whilst still maintaining unit cohesion, then jump back over in the same turn. No dangerous terrain either time. Of course this is situational, but i've been able to do it in a number of games, and a fair few game boards facilitate this strategy.
Old 04 Jun 2013, 13:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to sniperhavens

Ahh I got you. Thanks. I love the model and Im gonna run a full pack of them soon.
Old 05 Jun 2013, 09:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To start with, I find the "non-networked" Markerlight rule retarded (the one that says that only OTHER units benefit from its shots). Especially now when the option to take Targetting arrays for suits is gone.

In the case of the Sniper Drones, I need to field them in two slots, meaning, two units, so that they can benefit from each other's Markerlights. If I were to field three SD teams in one unit, they still count as one unit. This is especially bad since the BS has been nerfed for the Drones.

Of course doe the new Stealth, Sniper and such weight it up, but only to a degree. The ability to use the Ballistic skill is cruical.
Gondur is offline   Reply With Quote