Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau extra help
Old 23 May 2013, 20:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau extra help

Hi i recently got the codex and i was wandering where to start with an army...... some people suggested the new battleforce, but i do not like it there are NO heavy support for which the tau is incredibly famous for. And i do not like piranhas.

so i was wandering if anyone knew what to get first, i was thinking buying a crisis suit and a fire warrior squad, but what next?????
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 00:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

The battleforce is always a good starting place for every army. In the tau one, you get a hq (battlesuits) some elites (stealth and normal suits) and then some troops and fast attack. That should be suitable for small point value games. On top of that, grab a hammerhead, and then you should have a decent army for small point value games.

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The point of the battleforce isn't to get everything you want in one box, it's to get a good base to build from. That said, if you don't like the units, then get something else. The Tau book has very solid internal balance. There are very few bad choices.

The draw of the battleforce is that it is a very good deal monetarily. To put it another way, you are saving the cost of a unit (In Canadian dollars you are saving $46); it's as though you get the fire warriors for free.

You might not get the big guns that we are so well known for, but you can get an army on the field for less money, and add to it from there.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 05:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok, thanks i might just get another squad of fire warriors and mabye darkstrider or a cadre dude. then ill save a squad of pathfinders for a 700pts
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 11:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
ok, thanks i might just get another squad of fire warriors and mabye darkstrider or a cadre dude. then ill save a squad of pathfinders for a 700pts
Personally I wouldn't recommend Darkstrider. Far to gimmicky and situational, aswell as the fact that Cadre Fireblade is much simpler in his use.

Aside from that, the battleforce (as has been said) is a good choice for starters, due to its monetary value (and ofcourse the number of units and diversity you get from it).
That extra squad of fire warriors, i'd recommend for sure, and the pathfinders too are widely used.
you have the formula for a small, decent gunline style army.

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I haven't been having much success with pathfinders... just too fragile a source fro the markerlights... but no one else seems to be having that issue.
Old 24 May 2013, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

when i bring pathies I either A) stick them in cover, or B) make it so that other things are on the Openents mind. A seems to work the best.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Giving the Shas'ui a shield drone also helps to make sure you have a save... that and praying to the dice gods (maybe sacrefice some finecast models ( ok, maybe thats not realy a sacrefice)) :-x
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 23:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If it helps carrelio, i don't even use pathfinders.
Not mecha enough for me xD...
Cause I don't regularly run an ethereal, and my markerlight sytem relies mostly on cascade effect... My fire warrior squads are often deployed to create a corridor, for which to draw the enemy into a crossfire. Usually I have to bait them with some tastey HQ unit.
I'm considering having a small (4 man) squad of pathfinders in larger games, just as more bait/a distraction, but also to kick start the cascade (2 hits a turn on average, that'll give my FW's a bs5, and their markerdrones bs4).

Means In larger games I can re-kit my commander for more... Entertaining roles...
Also, onager gauntlet makes SM captains 'splode.

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2013, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have lost first blood almost every game due to those 4 man pathfinder units, they are just too easy to take down. I wouldn't recommend that use for them in higher point games. They won't even take away from the firepower the rest of your army will soak up because they will literally be taken out by opportunistic pot shots (had mine taken out with snap-firing storm bolters on the tops of rhinos in a rhino rush list).