Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight issue
Old 20 May 2013, 18:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Markerlight issue

An acquaintance of mine discovered something mildly unsettling.

"Soo... here is something:

Q: Can the BS1 of a Snap Shot ever be modified by special rules that
modify the BS of a modelís Shooting attack (such as Space Marine
Signums or Sergeant Telionís Voice of Experience)? (p13)
A: No.

Does this mean that Marker lights can't actually up Snap Shots? After all... BRB<Codex<FAQ"

I'm strictly against it, but he might have a point.
Thoughts?
Babbalui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I thought markerlights could up snap shots for overwatch... but it would have to come from supporting fire since a unit cant boosts itself.. and marker vanish every phase...

So i guess they could boost regular snapshots aswell...
LexusTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They can boost anything, provided the markerlights were fired from a separate unit (non-networked) and during the phase for their intended use. That's common knowledge at this point.
The argument my acquaintance is making is that despite the new Tau Codex ruling, the old BRB FAQ still takes priority, making our Codex entry moot.
I think it's a load of hogwash, considering it's not a CODEX FAQ and is, instead, a BRB FAQ. I don't feel that it applies in the manner he is advocating, but just like my last argument with him, he vehemently argued against my viewpoint and was wrong. He's a strong debater, but I don't think he's got this right.
Granted, it's a convincing argument. I just don't think it's as applicable as he makes it seem.
Old 20 May 2013, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

His argument holds no water. The codex specific rule will still overrule the BRB, even in the case of an FAQ for the BRB. The rule progression is one based on specifics. The BRB forms a sweeping set of rules, any FAQ overrules the rules of the BRB. A codex is then more specific than the sweeping rules of the BRB, and thus overrules it, and it's FAQ. An FAQ to the codex is the most specific ruleset and will overrule the codex rules in the case of a conflict.

The Tau codex says you can, so until the Tau FAQ says you can't, it's entirely permissible.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 20:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That's what I've been telling him, but he persistently says that it goes like this:
Codex FAQ > BRB FAQ > Codex > BRB.
I called BS, but he stands by it. I don't know where it says that. The only time I can understand this is with OLD codices, like the old Tau one until recently.
Old 20 May 2013, 21:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The FAQ is specifically targeting the replacing of one model's ballistic skill with another value, which is not the same as the Tau markerlights. It is the same way that a Tau drone may not sky-fire against a flying enemy at full BS, even if a model with a drone controller and a velocity tracker is in the same unit.

If he's still not buying it, other than taking it to your local GW so they can tell him he's retarded... you could try to beat him with semantics. The rule states you are not allowed to modify a BS and gives examples where an entirely different BS is substituted for the user's; the markerlight makes no claim to modify the BS of the user, only that it provides a bonus to shoot when firing at the target hit by the light. In other words, it is not that your BS is going from BS1 to BS5, it's still BS 1, you've just got a +4 bonus to it.
Old 20 May 2013, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I let the michigan gaming group do that. I was going to comment further, but the hoards of common-sense gamers did that job. He's still arguing for it, but I simply won't allow it in any game I play. I need to find a place that says his interpretation of the priorities is incorrect. I feel like it's one of those unspoken rules that I cannot find anywhere.
New rules trump old ones. End of story, imho.
Old 21 May 2013, 01:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

On page 7 of the brb basic rules vs advance rules the codex takes precedence
echo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2013, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

^ That's the page I was looking for, I knew I'd read it somewhere. Codex > BRB, even when it's an FAQ
Old 21 May 2013, 04:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you SO much, guys. I knew I read it somewhere, too. I just couldn't find it!
He's still vehemently standing by his opinion that BRB FAQ trumps Codex and it's painful to read. Not because he's right, but because he's denying the infallible proof.
He's saying that ALL FAQs beat Codex. I'd like to see where it says that.