Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

darkstrider with FWs
Old 14 May 2013, 11:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default darkstrider with FWs

Has anyone tried using him with a firewarrior team? or only with pathfinders.

how did it go?
shahryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2013, 17:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I haven't personally tried him, but watching a couple games which he was in I found him to be a bit gimmicky. People would declare they were charging the unit, the Tau player would say "Darkstrider does X, Y, Z, during the charge" and the other player would either say "oh, I'm not doing that then," and never try it again or fail the charge and never do it again and just shoot him to death. Rolling 2s to wound marines was fine, but it didn't sway the game, and without other special weapons there wasn't really much that could be done. I suppose they would have instant-killed any eldar characters, but I didn't watch any darkstrider games against eldar (dark or otherwise).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 07:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are masses of eldar at my local GW and i find them a bit of a joke for Tau. Sure they have psychers, but to be honest most of their abilities just feel like a Grey Knight special rule, just squisher. Thus darkstrider doesn't really help much against them.

Darkstrider, in my opinion at least, has a few basic uses, but otherwise is NOT cost effective.

1) Turning 12 fire warriors and 2 drones into a monster hunting unit. Sounds a bit odd, but when you have 28 shots (41 with an ethereal nearbye) that are wounding monsters on 5's, its not bad. Sure thats only on average 4 wounds against a 4+ save monster, but still nice.

2) He is useful for holding objectives. Put him in a squad of fire warriors in a devil fish, fly forward onto the objective, and then be slightly harder to kick off. Sure its not ideal, but its a nice way of keeping Warriors alive in the face of overwhelming odds.

These are his two advantages. Against nids it works well, the unit pretty much immune to guants, and able to rapid fire the monsters. Most importantly, he can be fun to use, which is the most important thing.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 11:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

cool, my idea was to attempt to outflank him in a unit of firewarriors and also send a long a unit of kroot.
shahryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 11:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not a bad idea He is sure fun to play, the only thing questionable about him is his points, and lack of versatility with unit join choices. Another consideration may be to join a commander with a unit of fire warriors that he is in to allow the commander to instant kill toughness 5, although incredibly situational.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote