Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Homing Beacons!
Old 12 May 2013, 09:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Homing Beacons!

ALL friendly units are affected.
I.e. all those allies that we have in large point games. Terminators deepstrike without scatter? no sweat.
Ok, but aside from that, this is actually exceptional.
Infiltrate them, give them a turn to jump into position and fusion blaster something, whilst benefiting from their almost permanent 2+ cover save and then on turn two all your crisis suits come down with no scatter in the middle of the enemy position, farsight style, but minus farsight and instead with a heap more suits. Idk, perhaps i am just being idealistic, but this seems like a great way to deliver all a lot of our weapons that struggle with delivery. Imagine a unit of crisis suits all with two plasma rifles deapstriking next to a terminator squad. 12 shots later they are probably dead. Or else a squad where each model has two fusion blasters and a target lock, enabling them to potentially decimate a tank gunline.
Just seems like a fun idea, even if, when you all math hammer it, its not necessarily cost effective. It certainly seizes the initiative and forces your opponent to play upon a battlefield of your own choosing, and would crush their perfectly prepared deployment.
This is all without mentioning the obvious benefits to planet strike.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 10:30   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

And how do you plan to get that Homing Beacon where it needs to go? stroll true the park and ask yor oponent to ignore the model thats on his way with wat might be his end
?
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 17:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats the best way too! Opponenets are friendly afterall.

But seriously, a devilfish with a recon drone moving flat out has a decent cover save. using 2 would allow for safety.

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Bare bone 4 pathfinder + drone + naked fish your still talking about a 152 point fast attack slot that may or may not do it's job... seems like a fairly expensive way to that beacon into place, even more so if you go for 2 of these units - though I agree, we don't seem to have to many alternatives.

And while the oponent might be polite and friendly in RL, i have my daubt he'll give the pathfinders the same consideration... unless he's got more juicy or dangerous targets to worry about OFC.
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 02:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not certain the homing beacon is necessary or entirely useful. The issue is that for the things you don't want scattering you're looking at being very very close to a target (meltas and flame templates basically); a place where the homing beacon (however you decide to take it) probably won't survive. For the things that don't need to be quite as precise (missiles, plasma, burst cannons, fusion blasters not needing melta range, etc)... the homing beacon is just extra points that won't sway the battle for you.
Even for something like a close combat unit of terminators, you're not looking to deepstrike precisely next to an opponent, since you can't charge them that turn anyways.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 02:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

But for termies, if you use a drop pod, can't they assault that turn, and doesnt a drop pod have some kind of course correction on it?

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 04:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Drop pod is not an assault vehicle and thus a unit that has entered the game in one cannot assault the turn it arrive. The drop pod has a special rule that reduces scatter to avoid mishaps automatically.
Old 13 May 2013, 06:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well i'm glad to see that idea safely crushed
Back to the old farsight standby
This was originally addressed for an army that was high points facing gunline opponents, where close combat would not be an issue
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 18:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's still doable, I just don't know if its necessary.
Old 18 May 2013, 03:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's a good idea in theory, but.... I might not use it, has to be play tested imo.
A bit of scattering on your deepstriking units isnt too bad, yet I can see the potential for that infiltrating stealth team.

As I usually run a stealthteam (although, less so considering riptides are wicked awesome, and can deep strike with the help of homing beacons for that matter) with the purpose of distraction, anti-tank, harrassment and general ****ery, throwing on a homing beacon could help my helios suits hit their target; the same big fat landraider the stealthsuits just failed to pop. this also means the stealthsuits can then hop away and piss someone else off afterwards.

realisticly, the only applicable delivery system for this is the stealthsuit squad which reduces the amount of units that would utilise the system anyway!

Final thoughts; good, but only if you run mecha, and plan on ORBITAL OFFENSIVE DEEPSTRIKES. (or deepstriking assault squad allies ).
also, stealthsuits or no beacon. or bacon.

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote