Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newbie - Question about Shadowsun w/ XV8s
Old 08 May 2013, 13:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Newbie - Question about Shadowsun w/ XV8s

Using Shadowsun attached to a XV8 Crisis Team would result in a squad that all have Stealth (4+ in Open / 2+ in Cover) and the jump-shoot-jump ability, correct?

Add in some marker drones, and you can jump, shoot/mark and then jump.

Seems like a reliable way to torment and mark. Equip the XV8s with Fusion and you can damage tanks and followup with markerlight shots from others.

Building my first ever army and don't want to buy too much before I understand more. Thanks guys.
SSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, Shadowsun grants the majority of her special rules to her unit. Stealth, Shrouded, and Infiltrate/outflank. For this reason I find her to be one of the best support'O characters in our codex.

The issue with using shadowsun and a crisis team as an invisible markerlight platform is that the markerlights will become a maximum efficiency of BS3 unless you join another Shas'O to the unit with a drone controller. This makes the lights very expensive (survivable... but very expensive), and unless you are willing to pay for the target locks on all the suits you will be forced to fire at the same unit as the markerlights, which is often a waste.

There hasn't been enough study into markerlight platforms as of yet to entirely discourage this, but it sounds very pricey.

Last edited by Carrelio; 08 May 2013 at 15:36.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 18:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd say if you are trying to do this, use Shadow Sun, A group of Marker Drones and a Shas'O with the Drone controller. They would have the stealth and shroud from Shadow Sun. They would have the BS 5 from the Shas'o. They would be able to JSJ (If you wanted them to actually damage something use a few Gun drones). You would get more bang for your buck. 28 points for two drones. 34 for one drone and a Crisis that doesn't do anything as weapons cost points.

I disagree that this is pricey, as you can justify the points for Shadow Sun and the Shas'O as being separate units that can be used for other things. You could always break Shadow Sun or the Shas'O off to handle something and rejoin next turn.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
The issue with using shadowsun and a crisis team as an invisible markerlight platform is that the markerlights will become a maximum efficiency of BS3 unless you join another Shas'O to the unit with a drone controller.
I guess it is against the rules to walk me through all of this, but the base Markerlight Drones are BS2, and would need a drone controller to boost to the bearer's BS; which would be the XV8, because Shadowsun can't take Markerlight Drones, correct?
SSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 21:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Our forum barely has rules, so ask anything you want, and we'll do our best to answer. You got it right though, the drone's base BS is 2, and a controller gives you the BS of the wielder of the drone controller (BS3 for most things, BS5 for a shas'O).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 01:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio View Post
Our forum barely has rules, so ask anything you want, and we'll do our best to answer. You got it right though, the drone's base BS is 2, and a controller gives you the BS of the wielder of the drone controller (BS3 for most things, BS5 for a shas'O).
Barely has rules?! More like the rules can't tame us!

But seriously, most ways of getting markerlights in large numbers outside of fast attack (pathies and tetra) will be fairly expensive, so it really comes down to how many more markerlights are needed.
That being said, I think it would be alot of fun to do so. But couldn't you do something similar with a stealth team, because then you allow shadowsun to be more flexible with a better kill team and possibly take out more enemy hostiles?

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 20:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The stealth team, as much as I love them, can only take two drones. I know, we used to be able to deck a full team out with 12 marker light drones and be completely invisible. Not any more. (Page 100, Dex)

The crisis can take two a piece for a total of six. A Markerlight squadron can take 12 markerlights/Gun drones and is cheaper.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 00:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

theres hardly any rules cause there aint that many people out there who know we exist....

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 01:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927 View Post
The stealth team, as much as I love them, can only take two drones. I know, we used to be able to deck a full team out with 12 marker light drones and be completely invisible. Not any more. (Page 100, Dex)

Right you are. Right you are

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 21:05   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To bad the spambots seem to find the site without problems :-(
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote