Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just starting out, looking for advice!
Closed Thread
Old 21 Sep 2005, 13:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Just starting out, looking for advice!

Greetings commanders!
This old man is looking for suggestions on how to build his first Tau army.
The idea is that the army is situated in a human auxilliary outpost so I'm loading up with three units of those. The rest of the army will be a small force of Tau sent to support the Gue'vesa in their struggles so no tanks or transports or Kroot. It would be lead by the lowest rank of commander accompanied by at least three Broadsides and a Stealth Team. Now, with that as my core army, how should I flesh out the rest of this force to get to 1700 points, (the standard tornament size around these parts).
Any and all list suggestions would be welcome!!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 13:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Just starting out, looking for advice!

No tanks, transports or kroot really limits your options.. in game terms, the army probably won't do so well, especially in tournaments, also due to the factt hat the gue'vesa don't get the whole range of upgrades available to them normally, as well as you restricting your army due to its fluff.. interesting idea though.

I guess you'd have to rely on a lot of stealth teams, a lot of broadsides, and a hell of a lot of gun drones. And probably as many fire warriors as you can fit in (consider devilfish transports and one hammerhead.. it would fit in that they thats how they get reinforced, and for that sized games, for force wouldn't just be a small resup. etc). That *should* get you up to 1700 points.

Might I suggest reading the 'Want to start a Tau army?' threads linked in my signature as well. And just wondering - how much gaming experience do you have behind you?
Old 21 Sep 2005, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Look to crisis and stealth. Without HH, you will suffer. That being said, I only run one HH in my army. My suggestion is to read the FAQ here on building Tau, then game your army accordingly. You will make changes as ideas fail.

Wanax
Old 21 Sep 2005, 14:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the input so far! I've got about five years under my belt so roughly a hundred tournament style games. I started out with Marines and faired well, then Guard and got pasted then Necrons to make up for all the Guard losses and have been doing very, very well. So I've got my tournament 'ace-in-the-hole' army with the toasters so now I wanted another fluffy, pretty, campaign style army thats not geared so much for winning as it is to bring something to the table story-wise. (Necrons are SO bland when it comes to fluff!)
Looks like my army might be somewhat of a loser though.
I intended to compliment the Stealth Suits with some XV8's as they would fit the background but it looks like I'll have to get a couple of Devilfish for support regardless. What about Pathfinders? Do you think they fit fluffwise and are they effective? Worth their points?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 05:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Ah, in that case, a couple of xv8s, some stealth suits would be good for support. As for pathfinders - they're more of forward scouts, depends on the fluff your making etc, but I'd think they'd fit in pretty well. Gamewise, they would be pretty useful marking things for your broadsides and crisis suits (a markerlight lit unit + twin linked railguns from broadsides = 97.22% hit rate!!), and they would help you get up to 1700 points. Just keep in mind that the devilfish is mandatory though.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Would love to see your army list if your done. I've run some configurations in the Army Builder and with 1690pts and 86 men it would be a very good army. OK it will have his weaknesses (mainly SMurf and Choclat SMurf :P), but at least it will be an army that's entirely your own. You don't see many army's without an HH (altough I myself am avoiding it), and you'll have our second 'allied' race (OK enslaved race, since they had no other choice).

Let me know when you come up with your list and fluff.

Greetz

PS: for the army builder go to http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.p...page=downloads
[sub]I think you know how to get it out of demonstration mode, but since I'm not allowed to say anything illegal I can just say this: "What do most people do with games? ..."[/sub]

Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Will do Pisces! As I said I'm picking up my first models this weekend that will include,

1- Crisis Battlesuit commander
4- XV15 Stealth team plus 1- Stealth team Shas'vre
3- units Human Auxiliaries (36)
2- Broadsides
1- Fire Warrior team
6 Gun drones

To which I hope to add,
3- XV8 Crisis Battlesuit team
3- Broadsides
1- Pathfinder team (8) with Devilfish

Of course I will probably have to pick up a Codex along the way : but I'm going to assemble and paint part one of the force and see if any more rumours pop up regarding a Tau rewrite come up! Seeing as its a pretty small force they'll probably be decked out in the finest Tau technology has to offer but as I don't have the Codex there's not much I can add. I am going to borrow a friends Codex so that I can get a feel for the fluff though and see why the Tau are interested in saving these poor Gue'vesa and their coloney.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen
... and see if any more rumours pop up regarding a Tau rewrite come up! ...
Most of these rumours can be found using the search function, but it all comes down to this:

Where guessing what's in them, but most things are pretty sure (but you never know with GW)
Best parts are: -Vespid
-Broadsides can move and shoot (or I hope, since Broadsides are my main Heavy's)
-Reduction in the pointcost of Crisis
(The new codex will be out in spring.)
But use the search function just to be sure ;D

Greetz

Old 23 Sep 2005, 04:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Oh I have!
That's what promted me to start this particular new army...that and the fact that there's nothing as noble as the Greater Good of course!!
Old 23 Sep 2005, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Just like my army.

Get termies and convert themin 2 crisis suits plus the'll be 1/2 price.
Then model them as gue vesa Crises.
Basicly a mech army with out vehicles.
Elves[move][/move]
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Closed Thread