Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HQ Contest - Novice [VOTING]
View Poll Results: Which entries do you think deserve to win?
Entry A 11 7.59%
Entry B 2 1.38%
Entry C 6 4.14%
Entry D 52 35.86%
Entry E 0 0%
Entry F 24 16.55%
Entry G 32 22.07%
Entry H 9 6.21%
Entry I 8 5.52%
Entry J 1 0.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 Mar 2010, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord
Default HQ Contest - Novice [VOTING]

I'll be honest, a lot of these were a mere scratch away from going into the upper tier. In fact, if I could, I'd place them all in the Master category. But I can't, because that's what got me in trouble in the first place. You guys are all too good. Stop it.

Entry A

Entry B

Entry C

Entry D

Entry E

Entry F

Entry G

Entry H

Entry I

Entry J

Old 04 Mar 2010, 00:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Re: HQ Contest - Novice [VOTING]

Whoever made entry I is either likes his commander very much or has plenty of money to spare - or both -, chopping up a frikkin' battlesuit just for the base is fairly eccentric (which is always a good thing).

Anyways, quite a tough one, but there were 2 which stood out for me (one of which I'm almost certain should be in the master category).

Also, for future reference - do we take conversions into account if it isn't a conversion contest?
Old 04 Mar 2010, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

This one came down to three entries for me, and it was really hard to take that last one out of the running. Good job everyone.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 11:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always take the conversion into account as you have to in order to take the whole model in. But a badly painted conversion isn't going to win against a very well painted standard model in a painting contest. At least that's how I judge it, I'm sure others may disagree.
A couple of these models were definitely a hair away from being in the masters category.
Well done to everyone that entered though! Some good work here!
Made my vote

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Old 04 Mar 2010, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

A lot of good entries, so I hope I'll do okay. One thing I think would help a lot of people is some better photography on their models. There's some good internet articles for how-to's and Privateer Press printed one out with pics in an old issue of their magazine, but really all you need is a decent light source and a white-ish background. Almost everybody should have some copy paper lying around.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Two in particular are of a much better quality than the rest, without a doubt. Surprised to see they're in the novice category, but I haven't looked at the Masters yet so maybe I should get myself ready.

Looking at some of the entries here I get the impression that we should have three tiers. Although I'm sure how seriously to take that comment, it's just in my opinion there really are some people who need to up their game and think about what they're doing; I'm not talking about painting quality here though.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
Old 04 Mar 2010, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality.
Two in particular are of a much better quality than the rest, without a doubt. Surprised to see they're in the novice category, but I haven't looked at the Masters yet so maybe I should get myself ready.
I thought the same so I went and looked at the masters section before commenting here and yeah, theres still an obvious gap between the two tiers. The masters are intense....

Thats not to detract from these models though, 3 entries stand out to me but it wasn't too difficult to cut it down to two. Well done all who entered and you should be proud of your efforts.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 10:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

All of them are so nicely done and I love the Night bringer very nice, so well done to all entry.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 16:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

All great but I wish I had realised it would be done like this and entered my weirdboy,

oh well great entries to all who have done.

- Will
Old 05 Mar 2010, 16:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You should have entered your weirdboy anyway! No point being shy and coy about it :P
The single miniature competition (which was the last painting competition I think) was tiered like this too. I think it helps everyone get over it and just enter if there are two tiers, plus it gives some an incentive to step up their game and get placed into the master's category, which is (certainly in my eyes) an achievement in itself.
Remember, it's just for fun and its not like you win anything, so who cares who wins, its better when more people enter ;D
Vehicles, elites and warhammer fantasy model competitions are still going though (nudge nudge).

Now watch me get told off for giving the contest mods more work

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!