Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online Grand Summer Story Competition [RESULTS!]

Old 04 Oct 2009, 00:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord
Default Tau Online Grand Summer Story Competition [RESULTS!]

Well.

It's been a long few months for everyone involved in the competition, but I am very happy to say that the scores have been counted, checked, combined, checked again, and we have for you...

THE RESULTS

First Place: A Day in the Life by Elliot [Entry J]

Second Place: Untitled by Wargamer [Entry C]

Third Place: Origins by Doombringer [Entry B]

We'd like to offer a hearty congratulations to the winners, and also the rest of the authors, for an excellent set of stories.
We will be in touch with the winners shortly to discuss prizes.

The stories will be unlocked if people wish to comment on them. Judges scores and comments will be posted up there too.

Thanks to everyone who entered, everyone who read through the stories and voted, and the other two judges, Dra'Tuisich-Novae and Boneguard!

See you all next year?
Old 04 Oct 2009, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau Online Grand Summer Story Competition [RESULTS!]

Congrats to the winners and everyone who participated, definately worthy stories all round this year. I ought to come up with something new for the next round ;D.
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
Old 04 Oct 2009, 02:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well shucks. Thank you, everyone, for the votes.

I don't know what else to say; I don't think I deserved to win. In my opinion, there were many better works.

But thank you.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 04 Oct 2009, 03:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Congratulations everyone, and especially Elliot.

Elliot don't sell yourself short, you wrote a great story.

EDIT- Could we get the names of the other writers posted on their stories? I'd like to write some comments,but it would be helpful if I could attach some names to the stories first.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Old 04 Oct 2009, 04:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Got to agree with Odo, I thought A Day In The Life was pretty brilliant, loved it, it won for a reason man, it's first place worthy .
That they’d shed their life’s blood no longer
For the greater cause, no one paused
In Death’s snarling face, sprayed the mace

A meow for the King, an ‘arf for the Chief
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

A complete list of entrants:

Entry A - "A Season of War" [Boneguard]
Entry B - "Origins" [Doombringer]
Entry C - "Untitled" [Wargamer]
Entry D - "The Emperor's Skies" [Manatee]
Entry E - "Roar of the Tiger" [FiremahLazer]
Entry F - "Hunted" [Colonel Marksman]
Entry G - "Shadows" [Darth_Riah]
Entry H - "The Hunt of Viros" [Beomoose]
Entry I - "Untitled" [PNW]
Entry J - "A Day In The Life" [Elliott]

[hr]

To echo what others have said, don't sell yourself short, Elliott - the only places you lost marks from me with were the somewhat informal way that the Tau spoke and the odd SPAG quip, but I thought it had by far the best characterization and story of the group - even before the Genestealer appeared and everything made sense now[sup]TM[/sup] ;D.
Old 04 Oct 2009, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Congratulations all.

My third pick didn't make it into the top three like I had thought. Oh well.

Doombringer, by far I thought your story was the most well-written Tau fan fluff I have ever encountered. Likewise your grasp of grammar and punctuation made you the clear winner in my eyes, even beyond the story. The story was beautifully done and well laid out. My number one pick in the entire competition.

Wargamer, though we aren't necessarily buddy buddy, you'll understand the depth of my praise when I liken your work to a younger Terry Pratchett. I may not believe Tau are your forte, but if you polish your writing by just a little I truly believe you could be a literary force in the humour genre. Top marks from me from a great tongue-in-cheek work.
[hr]

Elliot, I didn't vote for you... but I won't give any criticism since I didn't think you had a bad story at all (no one did that I could spot, as a matter of fact). Congratulations on a hard fought contest, you were up against some of our best writers and came out on top. Good going!

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 06 Oct 2009, 18:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
Well shucks. Thank you, everyone, for the votes.

I don't know what else to say; I don't think I deserved to win. In my opinion, there were many better works.

But thank you.
Man, I loved your story, and I think it well deserved first place. It was just... interesting, and fast paced. Congrats.
Old 06 Oct 2009, 19:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Pleasantly surprised, and thanks Enderwiggin for your kind words.

Certainly motivates me to continue creative writing. For the longest time I've been thinking that I should just stick with technical or historical writing, which I have more experience in (see Shan'al Ol'nan), but I think I'll be bringing a laptop and doing some more writing in Afghanistan.

To all, I'd really appreciate critique on Origins. It was a quickly put together conglomeration of ideas, written in about 12 hours during a 24-hour post at the barracks, so it isn't polished (I'll admit), but any advice or comments would be greatly welcome.

Also, Given my precarious deployment situation, and the likelihood that after next week, I'll be completely dropping off the map for about 7 months, I'd like my $5 prize to be accepted by the 1st Place winner, who will have more use for it than I.

Congratulations to Elliott and Wargamer.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Old 06 Oct 2009, 20:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll second Enderwiggin's comments: Doom, your story is best Tau story I've read. Flawlessly, you did the two things I struggle with in my stories: made a realistic and engaging fight scene, and made the tau and their technology alien but understandable. Also, the "twist" at the end was really pretty neat and unique; 40K stories can't usually pull something like that off.

Now that I've heaped you with praise, I'll try to fulfill your request and post some criticisms.

Enderwiggin: Thanks for the compliment, and I completely understand your non-vote for me. You should feel free to post whatever comments you have. I know my story has many issues, but I have a hard time seeing the flaws myself; the only way I can make it better is with brutal criticism.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."