Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gorrila Tactics Competition

Old 12 Feb 2008, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Gorrila Tactics Competition

The GTGU lot just sprung this on us; it seems like a great opportunity for some prizes above and beyond what we can offer:

Date for Submissions:
March 9th via a PM to GorrilaTactics.

Prizes:
  • Prizes are - all 5 finalist may make a special order with a 40% off coupon! (limited items and direct only will still be 20% off)
  • First Place - Any Battleforce!
  • Second Place - Any box set up to $30 USD value!
  • Third Place - Any blister up to $17 USD value!

We would like to host a painting contest with our own prize support.

Paint & model a complete Character - like a Chaplain, Kharne, or a squad leader like a Nob or Shas'Ui. The model must be on a Terminator size base or smaller and must be the only model on the base (things like body parts, or ammo runts are okay, but not an action scene etc.)

The model must use GW bitz only, and may have hobby supplies like chains or rocks added, but please no bitz from other games, the general rule is that if you can't buy it from GW then you should "make" it yourself... don't put a Trollblood arm on an Ork.

The pictures of entries must be submitted in this format:
  • 1 picture from 2 ft away taken at a ~30 degree above base angle (stand in front of it - hold the camera 1 foot away and angles down a bit on the model)
  • 1 picture of the entire front of the model - up close ~about 4 inches away.
  • 1 picture of the entire back.
  • Up to 3 close up detail pics of special conversions or nice paint techniques used.

Include a description of the model - how it is armed, and what army it is for. Representation of game legal wargear is good, and also adding fluff will earn some props too, such as a Signum for a Techmarine, or ooze and acid on Tyranids, or litanies of faith on a Chaplain, or objective source lighting on a power fist. Don't say the model has a power weapon and give it a knife, that will not bode well. Also don't give a Ork Nob a Multi-Melta and say its a shock attack gun ~you can use a Multi-Melta to make a conversion piece with added bitz, but calling something what it is clearly not will cost you points.

the judges will be credible, and fair people with the following accolades

A Golden Deamon honerable mention winner featured in full page spread in white dwarf.

A multiple GW competition winner and highly paid pro-painter.

The two judges will independently score on a 10 point scale to determine the top 5 finalist then collectively they will determine the winners.

Categories judged will be:

*Originality - (An ultra marine from the Codex is not very original so it ough to be impressive in other respects!)
*Innovations on Conversions - (adding a Commissar head on a Guardsman body is not very innovative.)
*Pose - The more dynamic the better - static poses tend to look dull and "cookie cutter".
*Paint Scheme
*Plausibility in Wargear - (Why would an Aspiring Champion have a laspistol?)
*Base Detailing - (Adding flock, sand, signs, ruins, terrain effects, etc.)
*Cleanliness of assembly - (No glue showing, no cracked green stuff, no mould lines.)

You can earn 0-2 points for each category and get a max score of a ten, so of course each category will be heavily scrutinized, and definitely go to make a strong impression on each category.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior
Default Re: Gorrila Tactics Competition

!!!!!!!! Im in, I probably wont win, But im givin it a shot! ;D

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
Old 12 Feb 2008, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I think I might enter this one...

-Grandpa Ducky

Old 12 Feb 2008, 07:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

So is this anything to do with the other competition rules?
So, for example, can I enter a model that I've entered into a competition here?
And jeez.. they're some strict camera rules, also the strangest 0_o

Old 12 Feb 2008, 08:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I might have a crack at this. If I can finish what I have in mind.

I'm a little unsure about the camera angles though? Whats the deal with that?
Also, a terminator sized base is the 40mm one right?
Old 12 Feb 2008, 22:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
So is this anything to do with the other competition rules?
So, for example, can I enter a model that I've entered into a competition here?
And jeez.. they're some strict camera rules, also the strangest 0_o
Yes, you should be able to enter a model from a prior competition.

Quote:
I'm a little unsure about the camera angles though? Whats the deal with that?
I have no idea...

Quote:
Also, a terminator sized base is the 40mm one right?
Yes.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 00:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

umm... is the 40mm base the same one as is used for ogryns? or is that different? I only have the old terminators that are based on regular infantry bases... so i'm not sure.

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
Old 13 Feb 2008, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have no idea about Ogryns, but the 40mm base is what new Terminators, Crisis Suits, and that lot come on.

Seriously, just measure the base...
Old 13 Feb 2008, 06:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi everybody,

looks like some of you are ready to have fun with this! Please everybody do enter the contest - we hope to get more then 5 entries!

as for some of the before/above mentioned topics.

models previously entered into other competitions - go for it, the 2 judges have never seen them, or at least we can bet they have not judged on them before.

40mm base - yeah seriously, measure it - we all laughed pretty hard on that one, but for sure its the same ones shown on terminators.

camera rules.... when we use this thing "~" that stands for approximately, and we actually are not going to "reject" anybody for not following the camera instruction. However we do need to have some sort of standard to view them on since there is no luxury of holding the model or walking around it. So lets call those guidelines for taking pictures of your submissions. Also I can point out that as a very experienced photographer, these angles and measurements are very usefull - assuming you have no zoom at the distances mentioned. The 2ft at 30degrees downward is good to capture what it would look like on a table, and it is a very organic view. the 4 inch ones should allow a model (or most models that fit onto the size base we are using) to fill the field from top to bottom of the snapshot; thus there is a good front and back view. Then you can take 3 freestyle photos to show off the cool stuff you did. remember its not so much camera RULES but it is easy enough to say that a good picture will help the judges out for sure.

Hope that helps everybody!

GOOD LUCK! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME OF THEM! > wish i could enter >
Old 13 Feb 2008, 17:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

i think i missed something

when's the deadline?

thanks

matt

[EDIT: lol just found its up the top]