Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interviewee Victims for April's Issue of the Newsletter
Old 07 May 2009, 19:37   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Interviewee Victims for April's Issue of the Newsletter

This month we have two victims, Nezalhualixtlan and Grumpy Kwi!

So throw open the floor to questions from these too mysterious mods!

[size=5px]Just be sure to NOT mention the incident with the flamer and Raid around Nez.... Nasty business, nasty business... :shifty:[/size]
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Interviewee Victims for April's Issue of the Newsletter

For anyone wondering, here are my responses to the questions that didn't wind up being chosen for the Newsletter article....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basilisk (FT)
Just be sure to NOT mention the incident with the flamer and Raid around Nez.... Nasty business, nasty business... :shifty:
It’s really ok, the Hive Mind has culled weakness from the swarm, evolved new immunities to cyfluthrin, cypermethrin, imiprothirn, and pyrethroid, and assimilated them into the bio-arsenal ready to be deployed against impending prey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai

1) How it is like to be known in your own board but unknown to outsider?

2) What do you expect from the 5th Edition Codices; Tyranids and Dark Eldar respectively?
1) I’ve never really given it much thought. I think Tau Online has a great community, but I’ve never been one to try and focus a lot of attention on myself. There’s a few areas of the forum I frequent pretty often including my Tyranid domain, like the Hobby & Showcase section and the Serious Debate and Discussion, but a lot of times I’m just lurking and reading. I’m certainly not afraid to chime in when I have something to say, but I’m often pretty busy throughout the day.

2) There’s only a few things I really “expect” from the Tyranid 5th Ed Codex. a) Cheaper Gaunts more in line with the new Orks and IG swarms, and b) more expensive Feeder Tendrils on Genestealers because they’re ridiculously good right now. More than that I can’t say, I’m hoping for some cool changes and maybe something like a new MC Trygon, but I’m sure I’ll be mostly happy with whatever GW puts out. Regardless of what happens, I’ll adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Nezalhualixtan
1 ) I heard that your nickname translates to "toothless runt" in the lizardmen, is that true?
2 ) Nidzilla or Endless Swarm? Flying or burrowing?
3 ) What do you imagine the hive mind is?
4 ) Do you like "lobstah"?
5 ) Isn't that cannibalism?
6 ) What is your favorite hive tyrant loadout? Why?
7 ) What was your worst defeat? Explain.
1) I’m unfamiliar with the lizardmen dialect, but if it’s anything like the ancient mayan language it might mean Evil Powerful Corn. Nezal meaning evil or dark, Hual meaning Corn, and ixtlan functioning as a degree modifier like “er” or “est” in English. Its certainly not “proper” mayan, and I doubt it makes any grammatical sense, but there it is.

2) Neither, I actually prefer a balanced list with a few MCs, a few more elites like Warriors, Raveners, Lictors, Zoanthropes and Genestealers, and a bit of the swarm in Gaunts and Hormagaunts too. Recently I’ve been trending towards a heavier investment in MCs though, and can field a proper Nidzilla list if I want, just because it’s my opinion the Gaunts have become less worthwhile in 5th Ed games, but Hekatonkheires Hive Ships are currently discharging a proper Endless Swarm from it’s bubling geno-organs in the hopes of a retooled proper swarm in the next codex. I’ve occasionally gone ranged heavy, I almost always run a very close combat oriented list whatever the general size of my creatures.

Definitely flying, I love my Flyrant, and have yet to even exercise the burrow option on my Raveners. That could change if I manage to snag a Trygon though.

3) The sum total galaxy spanning gestalt consciousness that is made up of all the Tyranids in existence. I think it’s very cold, ruthless, and detached, as unconcerned about losing individual tyranid creatures as you might be of sloughing off skin cells when you scratch and itch, as long as it benefits the long term goals of the race – which would be to consume everything for expansion on a long timeline on a galaxy-wide scale before moving on.

It’s actually very interesting, because our own Tyranid forum functions very much like the Hive Mind, as we meld our collective experiences together, weed out unsuccessful strategies and promote successful ones throughout more branches of the swarm.

4) Yes, but I pronounce it with the proper “er” at the end even though I currently live in Boston, since I don’t have a Boston accent as I’m from the Philadelphia area originally. Lobster is probably one of my more favorite foods.

5) Yes, I suppose it’s very close to cannibalism, but that’s nothing new to the Tyranid swarm, after we’ve conquered a planets defenses and we’re working on eating the planets bio-mass, we digest ourselves in our own biomass pools to make sure we reclaim as much of it as we can off the planet. We recycle.

6) I love my Flyrant, kitted out for close combat. I generally run a Hive Tyrant with:
Scything Talons x2
The Horror
Synapse
Warp Field
Adrenal +WS (+I occasionally)
Flesh Hooks
Toxin Sacs
Wings

7) That’s a tough question, I’ve certainly had a few games where I’ve been totally outplayed and outmatched. It was probably this game though. I had never played the Orks before, they were out with their new codex, I was overconfident in my own troops CC abilities, and cocky about their ability to deal with the Orks own CC, something I learned was very formidable that game. On top of it I made a number of nub blunders, and well, the end was a total massacre. I’ve had a few other games end in total annihilation for me, recently a few times at the hand of a skilled Salamanders Marine player at my local store, but I made less mistakes in those games. This one against the Orks just went spectacularly bad. I learned from it and adapted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
Both: The last two mods that were first planned as interviewed have either left or been de-modded. Do you think this will happen to you? :P
Nope, I’m quite addicted to WH40k, and I’m happy here on Tau Online, so the chances of me leaving aren’t good anytime soon. As for my mod status, hopefully I add something of value to the forums, and my temperament is such that I’m very unlikely to act in a manner that will get me de-modded. You never know, but I think it unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
@Both: When you were captured asked to be interrogated Interviewees, what was the first thing/thought that came to mind?
1) Hmm… this could be fun, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Industries
@ Nezalhualixtan: A friend I know wants to start Tyranids. Any advice for him?
1) With Tyranids, for the small stuff Quantity is its own quality. For your larger stuff, pick a role, either CC or Ranged, and tailor your unit for that, don't try to go for both, you'll waste too many points on extraneous biomorphs you don't need. Don't overload your Canifexes with bio-morphs, just everyone gets enthralled by the thought of a mega-Godfex at first, one that's got just about every biomorph you can give it, but they don't work that well and are way too points heavy, pair them down, they're a great unit even with just a few key bio-morphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
For both of you:
Why is I have never heard of you? Is it because I live in the enclave?
I spend most of my forum time in the Tyranids section, if you don’t come around there, my presence is certainly limited on Tau Online outside of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
@Both

2. What's one thing you would change about 40k?

3. Have you played any other tabletop games?

4. Other hobbies?
2) Formal rule and FAQ clarity and definition with a focus on balance. I really dislike that GW takes the stance that their FAQs are just “studio house rules” and “soft” material. When we run into problems resolving certain rules against each other, or run into weirdly worded sentences in the rules, or otherwise have problems figuring out how things are supposed to go – we’re not looking for GW to tell us “do it however you want”, usually we’re two players on opposite sides of an issue looking for clear, fair, and impartial adjudication of the issue in terms of the games intent. I think GW does a disservice to its game by not being more clear and keeping a better log of issues that come up, because there are certainly a lot of Frequently Asked Questions you see around on the net that never get resolved or answered with consistency by queries to the customer service department, or placed into the existing FAQs when they are answered.

I had a tough time deciding that over all plastic models, or updating really old codexes with decent and current rules and new models like they did for some other armies recently, I think the Dark Eldar and Necrons really need an update, but some of that could be served by clear and consistent FAQs in the mean time. I'd love it if the went all plastic for the models I want, but again I think a consistent and fairl rules clarification is higher on my list.

3) Necromunda, but only briefly, I found I liked WH40k much better than the small squad-style games in Necromunda.

4) World of Warcraft & Gardening mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
@ Both - how do you pronounce your names?
Nez - all - whual - ixt - lan but "Nez" works out just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
@ Either:

What is your honest, scientific hypothesis for how much wood a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zoron
2. (Both) When a train leaves a station in New York at precisely 5am on a Tuesday morning in May, do you snore?

4. (Both) What is your favorite fruit? If you hate fruit, then you may choose to tell what your favorite vegetable is instead.

5. (@ Nezalhualixtlan) Do you ever forget how to spell your own user name?

6. (both) Do you think the Squats were really eaten by the Tyranids or do you think that it was just a cover-up performed by GW, who are rumored to have actually just performed Exterminatus on them all?

8. (Both) Whats your most favorite unit to use in games?

9. (Either) Do you think Elvis is really dead?

10. (Both) Do you think I am weird? ;D
2) Yes, I live in the same time zone as New York, and at 5am you can pretty much guarantee I'm asleep and close to waking up, and snoring as well.

4) I think Clementines are one of my favorite fruits, I love the taste of Orange, and while I don't like them being as small as they are, they're super easy to peel and usually don't have seeds unlike some regular oranges.

5) Nope, I've been using this for just about everything I do online now since about 1996, so it's pretty well ingrained in my brain.

6) Let me confer with the rest of the Hive Mind.... Yes, we ate them.

8.) My Flyrant

9) Yes, he's dead.

10) Nope
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nez's favorite color is black? That's gotta be the first time I've ever heard someone say that, aside from me. Favorite colors are so three-years-old, but when I WAS that age, it was black.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not sure where to post the answers but this looks like a good spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
1) How it is like to be known in your own board but unknown to outsider?
Actually, I feel ok with it as I only seek notoriety amongst my own kin. What do I care for the other races in 40k? They are all lower than the DE on the evolutionary ladder.

Quote:
2) What do you expect from the 5th Edition Codices; Tyranids and Dark Eldar respectively?
I expect something VERY similar to what happened with the Dark Elves in fantasy. They will redefine some “loose ends” in our background, give us some units with unique abilities and I hope most of all they give some fantastic mechanism to enter the game like space pirates should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
1 ) What the heck is a Kwi?
Kwi is short for my original screen name Kwi Kwag. Kwi Kwag was derived from a character originally called Queequeg, a fictional character from the book “Moby Dick” written by Herman Melville. Queequeg was a cannibal harpooner on the ship Pequod that the main character had befriended – a very strange and superstitious character.

Quote:
2 ) Why is it grumpy?
I wasn’t always grumpy but as one would expect, you’d be grumpy too if you were constantly correcting and advising on how to interpret a 3rd edition codex in a 5th edition game system.

Quote:
3 ) If you could have your own rules for any one Dark Eldar unit in the new codex what would they be?
Only one? There is so much to fix! Hellions and Scourges are broken the most but the Hellions are probably in the need to be fixed the most.

Quote:
4 ) Is Arhra really the founder of the Incubi?
I say he isn’t and from what I understand GW thinks the same. I got no problems though if they change this but I really do not want it to mimic an Eldar Phoenix Lord. Something original from GW here would be nice.

Quote:
5 ) What is your favorite tactic? How does it work?
“Last turn grab” – with a fast mechanized army like ours I like to pre-occupy the enemy with skirmishers while keeping the objectives in mind. On the fith turn I try to occupy one or two objectives while the rest of my army goes “flat-out” to heavily defended objectives. What should happen is that I win by one or two objectives while I contest all of theirs.

Quote:
6 ) What was your worst defeat? Describe.
4th edition – I conceded by the 2nd turn when I played a 13th company Space Wolves opponent. He had assaulted both of my WWP carriers on the 1st turn! Once I lost the portals on the first turn the game was pretty much over.

5th edition – I was at the Las Vegas GT last September and was playing against an Eldar player with Eldrad. On the first turn his fire prisms combined fire and killed half my wwp deploying unit which failed morale and fled while the other WWP carrier was pummeled by war walkers and thus “went to ground”. 2nd turn my first WWP carrier that was fleeing failed their morale check again and promptly ran off the table while the 2nd WWP team was hit by Swooping Hawks, failed morale and ran right off the table! Very embarrassing, I conceded the game immediately by the end of the 2nd turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
Both: The last two mods that were first planned as interviewed have either left or been de-modded. Do you think this will happen to you? :P
With the rumors of a new codex and the number of “I was always a big DE fan” posers now emerging I suspect I will eventually get too “grumpy” and lose my cool.

To answer your question, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
Interviewees, what was the first thing/thought that came to mind?
Since there isn’t a lot of traffic in the DE forum I figured you guys wanted to know what I was all about before you de-modded me. Then, I just figured you are just curious of the new mods.

Quote:
@Both: What is your favourite unit in your respective race?
Wow, although I am a Wych Cult player by heart I am extremely fascinated with the more obscure units in the Codex. Right now I am finding myself adding Mandrakes to my lists and although they are extremely hard to use and over-priced they continually surprise me even against the higher toughness power armored armies. I kinda look at them like the Dark Elf Shades – GW fixed them pretty good so I am hoping they get the same treatment.

Quote:
Both: Is there any advice you can give to those other 'Nid and Dark Eldar players out there?
My advice to any Dark Eldar player right now (with our 3rd edition codex) is the army will test your resolve in both game play and modeling. Don’t wrap your head around the idea of how many marines can this unit kill but rather how can this unit spoil my opponents plans. Once you learn you can’t out shoot or out assault any army you will be on your way to out maneuvering your opponent just on speed alone. Some say we are a “glass cannon” or “glass hammer” but I think of those tools as too sloppy of an example (perhaps better metaphors for the orks) but rather, more of an operating scalpel – neat, clean incisions here and there are all that you need to win a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Industries
When you're not being involved in the site or 40k, what do you do in your spare time?
If I can’t make it to a game then I will usually fill in the time playing games online – I am currently playing Battlefield 2142. Yes, my screen name there is “GrumpyKwi”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
@ Both: What is the one most important piece of information you would give to new players?
Have fun! Try to incorporate background into your games and if you can try to understand your opponents. Sure, we all want to win but there is nothing sweeter than winning a game when you didn’t take the “power list” and instead faithfully stuck to a theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Why is I have never heard of you? Is it because I live in the enclave?
Perhaps, but I only frequent the Dark Eldar forum and I keep my nose in my own business. I really do not have that much time to devote outside the forum – if this is necessary then you have the wrong mob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
At Both: Who are you?
A fair question! I am a 42 year old father in a family of 4 located in San Jose California. I haven’t been playing too long (2004 I think) and other than dabbling with Kroot Mercenaries I have never played another army in 40k. My kids no longer play the game but they were Chaos Marines and Ork players respectively before their new codices came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
1. Painter, modeller, player, fluffnut, or all of the above?
Modeller and player mostly. I do paint but no so great and I am sure my fluff world is being realigned as we speak.

Quote:
2. What's one thing you would change about 40k?
Monthly or Quarterly FAQ’s to address loopholes.

Other than that bring back and develop a global campaign system like Medusa V and some sort of online account that lets you keep stats on your army, leaders, squad leaders and fluff!

Quote:
3. Have you played any other tabletop games?
Not counting Warhammer Fantasy are you? Dungeons and Dragons (1st edition) but mostly Avlon Hill games that were never converted to computer games. Other than that just the random things my kids wanted to try like Heroclix and Heroscape. It’s not that I do not want to try other stuff but the little amount of spare time I do get with 40k is barely enough to keep me sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
how do you pronounce your names?
Ka-Wee will do, I ain’t telling you how to say “grumpy”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
What is your honest, scientific hypothesis for how much wood a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
Half a chord a day – provided if you can keep the Johnny Canuck off your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zoron
1. What is your favorite color?
Blue, no…Green! Aahhhh!

Quote:
2. (Both) When a train leaves a station in New York at precisely 5am on a Tuesday morning in May, do you snore?
Violently, yes.

Quote:
(Grumpy Kwi) How do you feel about the latest Codex updates? Anything you hate? Anything you like?
I am very excited about the codex updates and could easily wait for everyone to get theirs updated if it meant everyone got finished – so I am very positive about the updates. I can’t say I really hate anything other than a few certain players that are continually trying to find loopholes to take advantage of something that was either misspelled or not explained enough – but that’s the nature of playing any game though.

Quote:
4. (Both) What is your favorite fruit? If you hate fruit, then you may choose to tell what your favorite vegetable is instead.
Cantaloupes, absolutely love them.

Quote:
6. (both) Do you think the Squats were really eaten by the Tyranids or do you think that it was just a cover-up performed by GW, who are rumored to have actually just performed Exterminatus on them all?
I think they just went underground, unfortunately, I think they had chosen Medusa V as their relocation planet.

Quote:
7. (Grumpy Kwi) Do you like ponies?
No, especially the Dwarven Diving Death Ponies – they are creepy.

Quote:
8. (Both) Whats your most favorite unit to use in games?
Mandrakes and Grotesques but the Talos and Haemonculi are close.

Quote:
9. (Either) Do you think Elvis is really dead?
No, I think he went underground as well but I think GW had employed him to re-write the DE codex and was never heard from again.

Quote:
10. (Both) Do you think I am weird? ;D
No, just curiously challenged.