Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Voting [Please read this first]

Old 04 Sep 2009, 23:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord
Default Voting [Please read this first]

Hi all!

The stories have all been posted in this sub-board, please feel free to browse through them at your own leisure.

A poll has been put up here where you can vote for your favourite.
As always, you are reminded that voting for yourself is forbidden - and yes, we do check; last year an entry was disqualified for this reason - don't let this be you!

The scores from this poll will be combined with the scores from a panel of judges to determine the overall winners, who will then receive their prizes.

Feel free to discuss the competition here, although please refrain from mentioning the individual merits or failings of individual entries - we aim to keep this as unbiased as possible.

We will unlock each of the threads after voting has finished, to give you all the opportunity to provide constructive feedback on the stories. The judges' marks and comments will also be released.

To all entrants - Well done on producing such excellent stories, as always, and best of luck!

To everyone - Happy reading!
Old 05 Sep 2009, 00:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Voting [Please read this first]

Wow!

Great idea to do that, it'll make the comp much more fair.

I wonder why you guys didn't implement such a simple thing earlier. :P

Edit- Holy klkn! I have literally just read the absolute best fan fiction in the 40k universe in the entries (not naming which one yet). If the others are this good it's going to be the best comp I've ever seen.

Please for all the love of Tauonline give us multiple votes. Please! The quality this year is phenomenal and I must vote for more than one. I'm asking this with all the reputation/pull/bluster/intimidation at my disposal.

If anything, think of the disservice to the writers that you'd be doing. If that still doesn't get your attention, then do it for the puppies of the world. ;D

Edit Edit: Lots of stories with Tyranids, two of the stories were similar enough that I wonder if the authors helped each other come up with the idea(s).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 05 Sep 2009, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Edit Edit: Lots of stories with Tyranids, two of the stories were similar enough that I wonder if the authors helped each other come up with the idea(s).
Vastly ironic, is it not? At first someone stated something like 50 entries, so seeing this few made me more at ease, but that didn't shock me nearly as bad as this fact you found. If there were 50 entries, the idea wouldn't have been too ironic, but there's only 10 stories. I wonder if someone official will PM the authors about this.

I think I only counted 2 with Tyranids though. Most of the others seem to be Tau vs Imperium.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Old 05 Sep 2009, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

Yes, there definitely were far fewer entries than last year. It's a shame really. Still, there are some great reads in here, and I'm not even half way there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 05 Sep 2009, 08:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Just skimmed through some of the entries so far, greatly impressed!

I'll get to actually reading these over the course of the weekend. Kudos to all participants.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Old 05 Sep 2009, 18:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not to sound like a ill-wisher, but I'm glad there were only ten entries. If there had been much more, I don't think I'd have had the time, inclination, or skill to read them all - after a while, they'd all have started to blur together!

Congratulations to all of the budding authors; I look forward to reading these in the next week!
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 05 Sep 2009, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, those were all quite good. Hmm... Decision time. Oh well, I've got a few days.

The entries do make me wish I had sat down and finished my idea though. Chaos was very poorly represented.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Old 05 Sep 2009, 23:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
Not to sound like a ill-wisher, but I'm glad there were only ten entries. If there had been much more, I don't think I'd have had the time, inclination, or skill to read them all - after a while, they'd all have started to blur together!

Congratulations to all of the budding authors; I look forward to reading these in the next week!
Can I second this? By the end, I had to reread a couple of entries, simply because I got mixed up between entries.

And I see only two tyranid entries, though I can see how someone could be confused about one of them.

Well, as everyone said, I've got my eye on a couple of stories, and will wait for voting.

Old 06 Sep 2009, 04:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

I have never been so nervous in my life - over a period of days no doubt.

I think I have a pretty good idea of who's/what's getting first though, easy winner. Everyone's got their eye on it, every comment points it out.

It's the curse of passion. Good luck to all the entrants, I might have underestimated you all.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Old 07 Sep 2009, 02:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm tempted to try my hand at this next year because of the small number of entries, but these are all quite good.

Lots of xeno words and stuff worked in in well thought out ways too, I like that. GW stuff seems to center too much on the imperium, given that the 41st millennium is such a vast place . I know who I'm voting for, but it's still close.

Excellent job all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com