Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau recruit.
Old 31 Oct 2010, 08:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Tau recruit.

Hey I've recently started collecting and playing Warhammer 40k as Tau, wondering if yous can give any pointers or tips, maybe next buy preference/s to enhance my battleforce.
Currently im rolling with;

24x Fire Warriors
24x Kroot Carnivores, with a Shaper I bought separately.
6x Stealth Warriors
6xVespids
2x Devilfish transport
1x Hammerhead
1x Crisis battle suit commander, with 2 crisis body guards.
2x Broadside battle suits

P.S If you need their equipment list I can provide, any advice is much appreciated, just trying to learn a good strategy for my current army and future investments I may need

Thanks
Bavatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 08:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

And I got a a few Gun Drones I can make into a Gun Drone squad but they look like only cannon fodder to me
Old 31 Oct 2010, 09:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

hy glad you chose Tau, you will defenitly enjoy it right lets get down to business, i would like to know what equipment your guys use. I also wouldn't mind knowing what you go up agaiinst if you have played before if not doesn't matter.

I'd ditch your vespid unless your up against mech armies.

Get some more crisis suits and use magnet ot glue to conect themso you can re-outit your guys for different enemies

and get some pathfinders wit rail rifles so rthat you can markerlight enemies.

some tactics if you want them your hammerhead isn't a realiable anti-tank killer use your hammerhead as a bait whiile fusion blaster equiped crisis suits and/or broadsides move up to exaqute the kill.

Thats all i can give you at the time being as i don't know what each unit is equiped with.

Hope this helps

-maddosammo-

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am mainly up against Space Marines, versed him twice now, won both matches, but now his got a Land Raider and the Ultramarines Chapter Master with Honor Guard, which is a little unsettling...
My HQ commander has;
C&C node
Iconic Blaster
Air bursting cannon
(Pretty much all the shiny metal gear I thought looked cool, but Im guessing is poo against heavy armored marines/ tanks).
His 2 Bodyguards have;
Burst cannons
XV8 Flamers
(At time thought of close combat tactic, of jump jetting in flaming and letting off a few burst cannon rounds, but its not in great effect most of the time, especially when I'm dealing with Terminators or Minus Talgar w/ honor guard.

My fire warriors all have pulse rifles, for the 30 inch rounds, and rapid fire if in 12inch range, and a drone controller giving each of my groups of 12 a Gun Drone. Idk about wasting points on photon grenades fro when they get charged, seems like a waste, cuse if they get charge by heavy melee, they'll just die no matter then bonus charge swings.

Hammerhead as Railgun with Multi Tracker and missle pods.
Devilfishes have just Gun Drones, thought dropping them off as I moved up could prove to be usefull, might make him hit one of them instead of a fire warrior.

Broadsides just the standard railguns and missle pods with target lock, thought firing on 2 targets would help, thought the 1+ BS would also be nice, was thinking of giving my command a gun controller for shield drone, but i'll wait until i get my 3rd BSBS to do that.
Stealth warriors have 2 burst cannons and 1 fusion blaster in each pack of 3 and a Marker Drone each.
Kroot just are normal bar a Shaper.
Vespids are Vespids >.<
Pathfinders all standard pulse carbines all 4 have marker lights.
I've also given marker lights to my fire warrior commands at the cost of 10 points i think it was... dnt have my codex on me right now, but thought extra marker lights would help, also on my stealth warrior squads as well.

Yeah pretty much anything I'd be willing to change to build this force to kill a Space Marine Army with Minus Talgar and honor guard and a land raider.
Thanks
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

O yeah I got 4 pathfinders already >.<, forgot to say that in my army listing, all just standard ones, pulse carbines.
Old 01 Nov 2010, 16:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavatron View Post
I am mainly up against Space Marines, versed him twice now, won both matches, but now his got a Land Raider and the Ultramarines Chapter Master with Honor Guard, which is a little unsettling...
My HQ commander has;
C&C node
Iconic Blaster
Air bursting cannon
(Pretty much all the shiny metal gear I thought looked cool, but Im guessing is poo against heavy armored marines/ tanks).
His 2 Bodyguards have;
Burst cannons
XV8 Flamers
(At time thought of close combat tactic, of jump jetting in flaming and letting off a few burst cannon rounds, but its not in great effect most of the time, especially when I'm dealing with Terminators or Minus Talgar w/ honor guard.

My fire warriors all have pulse rifles, for the 30 inch rounds, and rapid fire if in 12inch range, and a drone controller giving each of my groups of 12 a Gun Drone. Idk about wasting points on photon grenades fro when they get charged, seems like a waste, cuse if they get charge by heavy melee, they'll just die no matter then bonus charge swings.

Hammerhead as Railgun with Multi Tracker and missle pods.
Devilfishes have just Gun Drones, thought dropping them off as I moved up could prove to be usefull, might make him hit one of them instead of a fire warrior.

Broadsides just the standard railguns and missle pods with target lock, thought firing on 2 targets would help, thought the 1+ BS would also be nice, was thinking of giving my command a gun controller for shield drone, but i'll wait until i get my 3rd BSBS to do that.
Stealth warriors have 2 burst cannons and 1 fusion blaster in each pack of 3 and a Marker Drone each.
Kroot just are normal bar a Shaper.
Vespids are Vespids >.<
Pathfinders all standard pulse carbines all 4 have marker lights.
I've also given marker lights to my fire warrior commands at the cost of 10 points i think it was... dnt have my codex on me right now, but thought extra marker lights would help, also on my stealth warrior squads as well.

Yeah pretty much anything I'd be willing to change to build this force to kill a Space Marine Army with Minus Talgar and honor guard and a land raider.
Thanks
i'd ditch the flamers for fuson blasters flamers do pot against marines, and replace the broadsides MP for a plasma rife other than that it looks good to me although hpw do you play?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2010, 05:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Change my Commander and Bodyguards to carry a Fusion Blaster and Plasma Rifle each, thought the AP 1 on each weapon along with the PR rapid fire in 12 inches, since i'll be probably jumping them within that distance, would would against marines armor saves.
Gonna keep BS with Missile Pods, see how it goes, I got enough Plasma fire :P.
I keep my heavy's at the back, only move them when i need to get a clear shot at tanks or heavy units, line of sight.
I run my pathfinders up the sides and run my devil fishes up with fire warriors to try and unleash volleys of plasma, along with my jump infantry, stealth suits commander and guard and Vespids.
Usually my infiltrate are thrown as close into the action as possible, manly my kroot pack (20xkroot with shaper included).
I haven't really put a lot of thought into this strategy, pretty clear i need assistance in that department, heh :P.
Any pointer will be taken into consideration and wondering how i would deal with minuos talgar, ultramarines chapter master, just marker light him with his honor guards and unleash hell or what?
Old 02 Nov 2010, 05:11   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

And body guards have target lock, so i can pop a tank with their fusion blaster and hit the infantry with plasma rifles.
Old 02 Nov 2010, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If fighting alot of SM you might want to look at and consider the possibilities of sniper drone units over the hammerhead while maintaining your broadsides. Or even since you just have the 1 Hammerhead and 2 broadsides adding in sniper drones, their 3 rail rifle shots and possible pinning can be nasty. Definitely keep the vespid for anti SM though. Just my opinions.

Last edited by articulategrunt; 02 Nov 2010 at 15:28.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2010, 22:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Herd that sniper teams work best in 2 groups thought, would a single group of 3 snipers and 1 spotter do better then a Hammerhead, versing an SM army with a land-raider and heavy infantry and a chapter master?