Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

question regarding locking topics
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jul 2005, 16:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default question regarding locking topics

I'm curious about this locking business. I understand that we newer folks can search and find other people's opinions/wisdom on topics we want to talk about, but to be fair is this the only logical approach option? I've been on a couple of recent topics that needed locking, but there were also a couple that were locked just because the Mod felt we should read what others had written instead. Seems a bit harsh. A forum is more than an information database, as I think the greater aspect is the sense of community it conveys to people who otherwise do not have many people to talk to about our hobby.

Personally, I don't mind repeat topics (though I do search and do appreciate those that interject historical coverage of topics) as long as people are working towards an answer. Most I've met here tend to be helpful, insightful, and interesting. The topic is almost secondary, since anyone can/does simply not follow or post to those threads of little interest.

Also at what point is there nothing left to say, given that we shan't repeat topics already covered?

Thanks

Wanax
Old 25 Jul 2005, 17:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: question regarding locking topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
I'm curious about this locking business.* I understand that we newer folks can search and find other people's opinions/wisdom on topics we want to talk about, but to be fair is this the only logical approach option?* I've been on a couple of recent topics that needed locking, but there were also a couple that were locked just because the Mod felt we should read what others had written instead.* Seems a bit harsh.* A forum is more than an information database, as I think the greater aspect is the sense of community it conveys to people who otherwise do not have many people to talk to about our hobby.
topics that need to be locked will nodoubt be locked eventually, and the i think mods only lock topic's that have been stickied or have been answered or are just spam

Quote:
Personally, I don't mind repeat topics (though I do search and do appreciate those that interject historical coverage of topics) as long as people are working towards an answer
but this can get annoying if the answer has already been found >

Quote:
Also at what point is there nothing left to say, given that we shan't repeat topics already covered?
when some one has answered the question

Old 25 Jul 2005, 17:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Now quite sure there is always an answer. Questions like plasma drones in combat could never be answered. Who is better Eldar or Tau? No answer. These are just topics where people chat...

the most repeated topic is "here is my army list". I've only been here a little while and still I see a pattern of people like me posting the same bad army lists. Why not just have a rule against posting an army list. Make people just use one that has already been decided by others as a good list? Well the answer is obvious. People want to talk about army lists even if every single newbie (like me) posts the same PR,MP,FB shas'o crisis, takes 72 FW with 'ui and markerlight, and wants to make pathfinders work.

the point is people want to be heard and hear others. Forum is a place of communication, not a library databank.

Just an opinion.

Wanax
Old 25 Jul 2005, 17:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well in the case of posting your army list the question would be over when you have made aa new and better army list

Old 25 Jul 2005, 23:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jhrovii

Quote:
Now quite sure there is always an answer. Questions like plasma drones in combat could never be answered. Who is better Eldar or Tau? No answer. These are just topics where people chat...
Maybe the there is no right answer. Maybe it comes down to personal opinion. In which case, several pages of banter can narrow a persons viewpoint to something they agree with. But that person might be discourage by ten pages that could have been only 3.

Quote:
the most repeated topic is "here is my army list". I've only been here a little while and still I see a pattern of people like me posting the same bad army lists. Why not just have a rule against posting an army list. Make people just use one that has already been decided by others as a good list? Well the answer is obvious. People want to talk about army lists even if every single newbie (like me) posts the same PR,MP,FB shas'o crisis, takes 72 FW with 'ui and markerlight, and wants to make pathfinders work.
Well...that's why there's "Sample Army Lists" in some forums. So you don't have an overflow of lists.

Quote:
the point is people want to be heard and hear others. Forum is a place of communication, not a library databank.
True. It is a forum.

From www.wikipedia.org:

"Forums differ from chat rooms and instant messaging because they usually deal with one topic and personal exchanges are typically discouraged. Participants in Internet forums should realize that what they have to say will be public knowledge for years to come. For example, Google's Groups (formerly DejaNews) is an archive of Usenet articles dating back to 1981. Forum archives are sometimes the best way to find an answer to very obscure questions,..."

So, if an question is answered, and if spam (ie the same answer) keeps bumping it, it's locked. Notice that you still can PM a mod to add your post if you have something essential to say.

If it is an opinion based thread, again, once most opinions are exhausted and begin to be repeated, it is locked to prevent the spam to keep bumping it to the top of the forum.

Forum Rules, sitewide and for each individual subforum, decide what can and cannot be posted, eg "MYLIST!!1!one!!1", "Grey Knights suck", "What are the RR rules?", etc.

A locked thread can still be added to, but does not hinder the rest of the forum/subforum. A spam-ridden thread does not add to the discussion, and does hinder the forum/subforum.

And ultimately, it's the moderators choice as to what is appropriate. After all, they have the positions for a reason. If you feel someone is a WiSH <inside joke>, than PM TO about it and see what he says.

Cheers.
~jhrovii
Old 26 Jul 2005, 11:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I do understand locking many threads. I do understand that some people must continue to babble repetitively for lack of anything to say. And I do know how tiresome it must be to see the same topics crop up again and again with each new batch of posters.

However, I also know that many who come here are as excited as I am to be talking about 40k and Tau, since there is no where else for people like me to do so.

I exercise my own version of locking called "not reading the thread"

Anyway, I was just frustrated yesterday by a thread being locked only because it had been covered already. When I read the previous thread, I found it lacking.

thanks for responding.

Wanax
Old 26 Jul 2005, 13:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Well, locking is usually a last-measure thing, if a thread gets out of control, is just getting spammy and off topic etc.. OR, a reply is no longer desired by the moderators. Regarding the latter, this is usually because the question has been asked too many times (rail rifle rules :), or the topic has previously been discussed to the death, and the new one is just repeating what has already been said, or is just bumping it for no particular reason, or to add a small comment on something thats a year old.

Quote:
Anyway, I was just frustrated yesterday by a thread being locked only because it had been covered already. When I read the previous thread, I found it lacking.
If its been revived already, then PM a moderator to unlock it for you..
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good enough. Thanks to all who replied!

wanax
Old 27 Jul 2005, 09:56   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Usual, we (the staff) delete spammy topics so that they never got locked if you get my drift... Anyway, we do tend to lock topics that do go out of date, or that are completely off topic to what they were actually about. A couple of painting topics that I remember got side tracked by world events if my memory serves me right...
If people want to talk about a certain topic that was locked and that you think you have a new point to bear in mind, please feel free to create a new topic with a link to the old topic so that people can chew over your new view.
Old 05 Aug 2005, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think it's just a matter of balance. Locking the occassional repeat topic is necessary, but I'm not militant about it.