Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

computer virus
Old 04 Mar 2010, 00:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default computer virus

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having problems with virus attacks recently. I've been infected with two viruses over the last two days. Each time I was connected to the internet, but not actively doing anything and each time I had TO open on my browser. Not sure if it came from here, or one of the other sites that was open, but TO was common to both attacks.

I'm getting rouge anti-virus viruses. Basically it'll state you need to upgrade your virus protection because your computer is infected. I had a tech sweep the viruses out and install some new antivirus stuff. He told me it a very recent virus that he's been seeing a lot more of and he doesn't know where it comes from. Biggest problem is I didn't do anything to download it like click on a pop up or anything, I was just connected. Thought I'd share and warn you all. I'd put this in the tech forum, but not a lot of people view it.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2010, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: computer virus

This should probably be in the Computers board, but I'll let a Mod move it. Without knowing how you got infected it's hard to guess what happened, but there are several possibilities. The first thing is make sure your anti-virus and operating system patches are up to date. Set them to at least auto-download if not auto-install, and do the same for things like Java, Flash Player, and Acrobat Reader. The next thing is if you're running Windows, even Windows 7, you should be behind a router. Having a Windows machine on the unprotected Internet is inherently dangerous, and you shouldn't do it unless you have reason to. If you don't know of a reason why you can't be behind a router, there probably isn't one. Just being on the Internet, directly, is enough to get virused; you don't have to click, download, or install anything if your machine's operating system is not up to date. If you are behind a firewall or router, are there other machines on the network, even Macs or Linux boxes? While a Mac or Linux box in most cases will not be affected by a Windows virus, it can still carry one and spread it to other machines. A virus-killer on Windows will probably stop it, but you really need antivirus running on ALL machines on the network. Finally, it is entirely possible that the tech who disinfected your machine missed something. Some viruses can hide themselves incredibly deeply in the operating system, and once they're installed it can be hard or impossible to get rid of them without reinstalling from clean media.

So, patch early and often. Get yourself an Internet router if you don't have one. Run anti-virus on all machines on the network if there is one. And be prepared to reinstall the operating system if nothing else works.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

I've not had any alerts or warnings from TO from my security, but this type of virus/spyware attack is becoming more and more common. What browser was this on, BTW?
Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I had this about 2 weeks ago.

Came down appearing like a legit windows update, which I had set to install automatically.

Installed itsself, claimed I had about 200 virus' and I should buy their product.

Then raped my regestry, stopping me running .exe files.

Including regedit :

Long story short, I had to reinstall windows. It was a bitch.

The virus was called Vista Guardian 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think Ahab just got this one too- and he said the last time he was on the internet the only place he went with ads was here. He was running Vista, Firefox, and was using TrendMicro for Anti-Virus. He's kinda screwed now because he has a shit ton of major work due in the next week (end of university quarter), and we don't know how long it will take to fix it.

This makes about the 7-8th person on here that got a virus (starting with PNW, one or two others in his thread in Computers and Science, IIRC one other somewhere in the Enclave, Scoutfox, and Rafe). Somehow I don't think this many people is a coincidence, I'd take a very careful look at the ads on here because it seems likely that this is the source.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
I think Ahab just got this one too- and he said the last time he was on the internet the only place he went with ads was here. He was running Vista, Firefox, and was using TrendMicro for Anti-Virus. He's kinda screwed now because he has a shit ton of major work due in the next week (end of university quarter), and we don't know how long it will take to fix it.

This makes about the 7-8th person on here that got a virus (starting with PNW, one or two others in his thread in Computers and Science, IIRC one other somewhere in the Enclave, Scoutfox, and Rafe). Somehow I don't think this many people is a coincidence, I'd take a very careful look at the ads on here because it seems likely that this is the source.
But do we have any idea if ads are the cuase?
If they are then it's probably best looking into the ads which may be causing this (assumably on the main site) and maybe have them temproarily disabled.

Note to all:
On windows vista it would be a good idea to set auto updates to 'off' or 'download only' for now, only install updates if you're sure they're from microsoft (such as looking on microsofts site, i assume they keep a list of updates)
Also, DO NOT install/purchase Vista Guardian 2010 as it will eat your computer (well, that's an exageration but it will disable your computer) but instead follow guidance on the web to remove it.
-The above is just my opinion, not that of FT or any other staff (so no blaming me if it doesn't help)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I don't believe TO was responsible for the virus I had - as I said, it somehow inserted itself so the computer thought it was a legit windows update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe Graystone
I don't believe TO was responsible for the virus I had - as I said, it somehow inserted itself so the computer thought it was a legit windows update.
I don't believe it's TO, but the server could have been hacked (unlikley), the add occurring in a TO advert (doubtfull as some of the infected computers are those of mods or librarians who don't see ads) or from another website you have hall visited (also doubtdull)
I'd say this has come from several different sources IMO.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 21:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was running Windows XP and using IE7 with a router. I use Avast as my anti-virus, and it couldn't pick up the virus when I scanned for it. I didn't think it came from TO, but there could be a user on here attacking people online; I don't know?

Luckily with my computer it didn't auto install, so I was able to isolate it and delete it. It comes up as a rogue antivirus program when scanned. So far it hasn't attached to any important files. I've been disconnecting my internet each time I step away from the computer too. So annoying.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 23:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

FYI guys, I give Windows/Adobe/Java updates the finger. I my stuff runs fine without updates, and I need all the memory I can get. I did not get it from a virus pretending to be an update. That's for sure. It wasn't calling itself Vista Guardian 2010 because I didn't get any kind of notification.

I don't know where I got it, but the only places I go regularly at all, really, are: UW homework site(s), youtube, and TO... and gmail. Of those only youtube and TO are places I can conceive of getting something.

Even if I got it from youtube, IIRC they use the same type of ads as TO, so it's still something to look out for. Until I know what caused it/where it came from, I'll be playing it safe and using Macs and school comps to access TO... nothing personal (I love TO) but I'd rather not go through re-typing all 5-6 english essays twice :P.

As for mods and librarians, you guys still have to log on, and before you log on you see the ads right? Just saying. Unless every mod who got it never logs off it's a possibility... Or somehow you don't see the ads when not logged on.... that would rule it out...
[hr]
Meh, I dunno, and I personally think it would be more widespread given the number of users, but I can't know how fast it would spread if it even is the same thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote