Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

just my personal beef... re karma
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default just my personal beef... re karma

I have, since joining this site about 4 years ago or so, spent hours helping people with their armies, tactics, giving good advice. But my forum mods are long gone so I never get the cookies. I notice a bunch of kids with far less earned than me have 'titles' where I still don't qualify for one. I am a friend of this forum, and have actually helped out in extreme emergencies for other members, what, do I have to live down the street from one of the old boys to qualify? I'm tired of going by 'ethereal' when I am a regular and responsible poster, seeing people with +5 or whatever getting their own name. Who's ass do I have to kiss? Meanwhile I just take smites from being opinionated on SDnD because the mod was foolish in realizing who is at fault in an arguement. All I wanted was a name, do I have to go on a road trip with wargamer or something to get one?
Old 23 Nov 2009, 03:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: just my personal beef... re karma

Does it really matter all that much to do this? People will know your a good member and contributer by your posts, not by what ever fancy shenanigans is under your name. perhaps, the best person to bring this up with, would be the staff themselves, and not the forum as a whole. If your cause demands sympathy, complaining in front of the whole boards is generally not the way to earn it.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

^^^
Bingo.

I'd talk to whoever you have a personal beef with rather than complaining to the board.

As far as titles go... you need to either be at +25 or do something specific. Everyone makes posts they think they should have gotten applauded for and everyone sees posts they think should be smited but aren't. It's the way of the universe, mate.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

There are no hard and fast rules when handing out karma. It all depends on the Mods and how their manage their appointed boards. Maybe, for you Guitardian as an Eldar player who frequent the Eldar boards often, the Mods are not handing out the karma since I hardly see any of them these days e.g. CM and Wingates. It's either that or no one thinks that your post is worthy of karma or they're too lazy to push the Report Post button. They are, of course, other ways to get a Custom Title but the list is too long for me to type out. Anyway, you don't see Deraj or Enderwiggin complaining about it.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 07:59   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Or you may find yourself writing for 4 hours and end up with nothing but a cursory glance in your direction.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:11   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Or you may find yourself writing for 4 hours and end up with nothing but a cursory glance in your direction.
That's why I made my recent Tacticas so comprehensive that it exceeds the character limit :P So, like my Nob Tactica can go up to 3 pages :P
Old 23 Nov 2009, 12:39   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I think your whole approach regarding Karma is wrong.

I have never liked the assumption people have where they think "Ha! I just wrote a post explaining how I think you're meant to use Fire Dragons! Where's my Karma for it?"

Frankly, I don't give a crap about articles like that.

Now aside from Competitions and such, one of my last pieces of Karma was for this thread. I feel this is a good example of how Karma is earned, because the thread is pretty much me defining how a Company / Chapter of Space Marines must realistically operate within the "1,000 Marines per Chapter" restriction. Frankly, any idiot can pull out a calculator and 'math-hammer' the correct use of any unit you care to name, but how many people would bother to do what I did and trawl through three editions of Codex: Space Marines to try and get an accurate as possible description of a Chapter's 'real' fighting strength, compare it to the 'claimed' strength of 1,000 Marines, and then attempt to rationalise the discrepancy?

That, ultimately, is what earns you Karma; not proving to us you can use a calculator, but proving to us you have something to contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 23 Nov 2009, 13:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
There are no hard and fast rules when handing out karma. It all depends on the Mods and how their manage their appointed boards. Maybe, for you Guitardian as an Eldar player who frequent the Eldar boards often, the Mods are not handing out the karma since I hardly see any of them these days e.g. CM and Wingates. It's either that or no one thinks that your post is worthy of karma or they're too lazy to push the Report Post button. They are, of course, other ways to get a Custom Title but the list is too long for me to type out. Anyway, you don't see Deraj or Enderwiggin complaining about it.
I wasn't complaining about a specific person. I was putting this up as a suggestion, why can't we just title ourselves? And you're right about Crazed, I don't think he's even been on the forum for months. It's not that I spew bad threads in there, there's just nobody actually moderating in there it seems. I don't want to complain, I just wanted to know how some of these people got their little titles where others have to footslog it.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 14:37   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Why can't we just title ourselves?
What's the point? People already get to choose their name, thier text, their Avatar, their sig...
Titles are something that have to be granted, that's kinda the point.

I've never been a fan of these whine threads...
Old 23 Nov 2009, 14:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
That's why I made my recent Tacticas so comprehensive that it exceeds the character limit :P So, like my Nob Tactica can go up to 3 pages :P
But when you barely get a "Thank you" it can really deflate your enthusiasm.
Closed Thread