Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hide Karma Feature?
Old 31 Oct 2009, 02:05   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Hide Karma Feature?

It has been suggested that we have a "hide karma" feature where members can elect to see karma or not in their profiles.

Would you guys consider this a worthwhile addition, or not?
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2009, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Hide Karma Feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
It has been suggested that we have a "hide karma" feature where members can elect to see karma or not in their profiles.

No. Karma, whilslt being an indication of how uch you've vontribeted to the forum, is no indication of what you are as a person.

People with negeative are worth no less than people with positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2009, 04:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would say "yes" if it were a personal option.

Rafe, it actually goes back to what you said in a way. If people with less aren't any worse, then I don't see how people with more are any different. Some people (I'm sure) would appreciate being able to ignore the entire thing if they preferred it. You would then have those same people treating everyone on a person by person basis rather than a glance at karma.
[hr]

I, for one, think karma is a decent enough idea to glance at for a secondary impressions though (first impressions should be garnered from the postings of the person in every case). There's been a number of people who have later been banned that weren't worth the time to respond to and their karma ratings were adequate enough warning (seriously, you have to almost try after a certain point to get negative karma if you have common sense).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2009, 10:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross

I would say not. If karma becomes effectively optional in this way then it would seem to me that it would become relatively meaningless.

Karma does not (and should not) give you social status on this forum. The opinions of someone with -1 karma are just as valid as the opinions of someone with +50 karma, and I would be concerned if I ever saw people with high karma counts trying to intimidate others into shutting up or otherwise falling in line by virtue of their high karma count/custom title or any other such privilege. I can think of very few examples of this happening and, whenever it does, I know that the moderators quite rightly do not stand for it at all.

Nevertheless, karma performs a very useful function. For a start, it rewards and acknowledges those who have contributed well to the forum, through contributing articles, being exceptionally helpful to others or simply being very hardworking. While, as I said above, it is important to make sure that this doesn't buy you privileges, I also consider it very important that these achievements are acknowledged in some way, and I consider the karma system an excellent way of doing it. For one thing, it also gives other members an incentive to contribute in a positive way to the forum and the website in general. Make karma optional and this incentive is lost.

On the other end of the scale, karma performs a very useful function when it comes to punishments as well. Karma can be very useful when it comes to correcting minor faults (such as consistent bad grammar or a sudden loss of control in the SD & D board) without having to resort to formal warnings, which would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. More often than not, receiving a negative karma can be the kick up the backside that someone needs in order to pull themselves together. And if you make karma optional, you will lose its function as a deterrent against bad behaviour, which I would not consider a good thing at all.
Old 01 Nov 2009, 01:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I, for one, would like to see this as an option. The reason being because I feel that karma (and, to a lesser degree, post count) is used as a measuring rod by some members and I think that the option to remain anonymous with it could be preferred. That is not to say that karma needs to go away completely. I think that it could be similar to the hide avatars / signatures feature. I've got avatars and signatures turned off, but if I click on a member's profile, I can still see the images. So a member could have the option to turn off his/her karma on general forum views but it could still be visible to members if they click on the profile.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing the karma system at all. I think that in some ways, it's beneficial to give members a reward for their contributions. But in another way, I think it may lead to assumptions about members which may or may not be true.

That's just my $.01.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is worth splitting the two up, because they really are different. Hiding it for everyone if you don't want to see it is fine. Hiding your own from everyone else defeats the point of smites as they exist now. I guess I wouldn't mind doing away with them, but the only thing that would really replace them would be temp-bans and a 3-strike perm ban policy. They are supposed to carry a slight stigma. If they didn't they wouldn't mean anything. But I would rather they went away after some time if there were no other problems. In many cases they are just an indication of how a poster behaved years ago.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 02:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
It is worth splitting the two up, because they really are different. Hiding it for everyone if you don't want to see it is fine. Hiding your own from everyone else defeats the point of smites as they exist now.
This. Was the main point I was trying to advocate in my earlier post. I didn't realize it could have been construed as turning your own karma off (not what I had in mind at all). Just something along the lines of the word filter choice to use it or not.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 02:40   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

If the problem is that karma is being used a measuring rod, just giving members the ability to turn off the display may not help very much. You would have to actively want to ignore it. I am all for giving members the option to do that. The information isn't essential, and we should be as flexible as possible with how members can view the forums. But if they don't want to ignore it, you are still going to have some of the issues with people making bad assumptions.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 09:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
I, for one, would like to see this as an option. The reason being because I feel that karma (and, to a lesser degree, post count) is used as a measuring rod by some members and I think that the option to remain anonymous with it could be preferred. That is not to say that karma needs to go away completely. I think that it could be similar to the hide avatars / signatures feature. I've got avatars and signatures turned off, but if I click on a member's profile, I can still see the images. So a member could have the option to turn off his/her karma on general forum views but it could still be visible to members if they click on the profile.
That makes a lot of sense IMO.
I can understand a 'hide karma from guests' feature might make some sense as guests might see karma as a stat of popularity, so when they sign up they might be miss-lead.

Overall I think it's an individual disiscion on wether this feature would help the forum and/or members. I'm not sure myself :-\
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 10:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have no real opinion on this situation either way, so I'd recommend giving people the option: let them choose whether or not they wish to see everyone's Karma with the default setting being "yes". This means that, unless they alter the setting, everything stays as it currently is but if people wish to never see anyone's Karma rating they can choose to do so.

Giving people the option to prevent others from seeing their own Karma rating is a bad idea and completely goes against the point of having Karma, particularly Smites.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote