Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Karma Log 'Flaws'
Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2009, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Karma Log 'Flaws'

I was looking in the karma log and have found a few 'flaws':
  • The space for searching for a specific topic, member or karmic action type are all very thin and hence you can't really see what you're typing into them or what they say
  • When you go onto a page after no.1 (after search-refining via member, action type or topic) it reverts to the normal log
  • This is not very important but it's colours are nothing like that of the forums
  • There needs to be a link back to the forums Sorted by FT
  • Make the karma log so you must be a staff member to view all members karma not just a board moderator

The above is only applicable if you can see the applicable parts of the karma log
I was just wondering if it could be sorted,
Sorck
Old 20 Aug 2009, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Karma Log 'Flaws'

Why do you need access to such information?
Old 21 Aug 2009, 01:23   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Sorck, sometimes there's a need for discretion...seriously, I think you've just started something unnecessarily...

Anyway, @TK: This information is available to all Mods including me (I'm the Mod for the Quiz Committee Board and the AoTK Board) [but I don't need such information to do myjob anyway] and the Librarians IIRC (or at least Sorck who's the Mod for the Librarian Board). And I don't think the responsibility of the Librarians is to check up who got Karma'd and who got Smote.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 01:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Oh I know it's available to all mods. That I'm not bothered about at all. But I fully agree with you in that I fail to see what in the job description of a Librarian means that they need to be looking at such information. The thing is, Sorck, you may have access to it by the technicality of being the moderator of the Librarian board, but your initial post gives me the impression that you've been looking through it for nothing more than your own curiosity and amusement and that you don't appreciate at all how sensitive and private many will consider that information. Needless to say, this doesn't exactly impress me at all.

Old 21 Aug 2009, 02:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

You think that's bad, just think what else librarians have access to. It's one of the reasons I looked the next day and thought 'do not want.' There are more private things than karma remember...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

OK, I remember now; all the Librarians are Mods so they can do their job e.g. add and delete threads within the Librarian Boards to be posted for the Website's Article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
You think that's bad, just think what else librarians have access to. It's one of the reasons I looked the next day and thought 'do not want.' There are more private things than karma remember...
At most, they can see the Karma Log, Moderator Notes and the Warning Log.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
OK, I remember now; all the Librarians are Mods so they can do their job e.g. add and delete threads within the Librarian Boards to be posted for the Website's Article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
At most, they can see the Karma Log, Moderator Notes and the Warning Log.
That's the one :P
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Oh I know it's available to all mods. That I'm not bothered about at all. But I fully agree with you in that I fail to see what in the job description of a Librarian means that they need to be looking at such information. The thing is, Sorck, you may have access to it by the technicality of being the moderator of the Librarian board, but your initial post gives me the impression that you've been looking through it for nothing more than your own curiosity and amusement and that you don't appreciate at all how sensitive and private many will consider that information. Needless to say, this doesn't exactly impress me at all.
I agree with TK entirely. Librarians, or members given power over particular boards ( i.e. Committees) should not have access to the karma logs outside what members can already see.
We have already had a huge discussion over the divide between senior and newer members not too long ago, and I can't help but think librarians and members assuming the position of demi-mod only contribute to the problem more.
While members like those are helpful to complete the menial tasks, I think we seriously need to reconsider and reorganize certain aspects of the site.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftercresent
We have already had a huge discussion over the divide between senior and newer members not too long ago, and I can't help but think librarians and members assuming the position of demi-mod only contribute to the problem more.
Could you reword that? As it is, it seems very.... crass.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 03:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

meh... it's just karma. it goes around and comes around. we should be happy that some people take the time to try to moderate stuff at all. Their judgement may not always be correct, but at least they are doing the job. I've been smitten before for stuff I didn't think was fair, but I've also been given a cookie for stuff I didn't even think was relevant. It's not like its an easy job for someone who is just volunteering their time in the first place to help keep the peace sifting through all the babble and such. If you don't want someone having access to your log, you probably shouldn't be posting on a public forum, because someone will have to monitor it, y'know?
Closed Thread