Warhammer 40K Forum

List Code Errors / Anomalies
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default List Code Errors / Anomalies

Heya

The past day or so, I've noticed old threads and new threads alike, which had List coding in them, that suddenly sprouted more list tags out of no where without an edit or any addition to them. I'm not quite sure what caused it, but it only started within the past 2 or 3 days, tops, that I've noticed and it's quite annoying. It's destroying a lot of list code work on very long documents or complex documents and cleaning them up again will take quite some time (I think [MaCe] has noticed this too now). It'd be nice to lock down the problem so that the corrections aren't in vein.

Looking forward to information on this.

Cheers!
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: List Code Errors / Anomalies

Possibly a parse bug with SMF 1.1 Beta 3, but thats what we're here for, bug testing :P

The problem so far, is
  • and
inserted randomly around paragraphs..

I noticed it in some posts, in MalVeauX's ones, they were around Italic tags, in one of Grandmaster jhrovii's posts, it was caused by a different list bullet - [ * ] doing something strange.. I'm not quite sure whats happening here, maybe its human error, maybe its bugs in the parser, I'm not too sure..
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
Aun'O

The BBC parser code for SMF Beta 3 has been upgraded and so that might be the problem. Would it be possible for you to do some testing and see if this appears only with a certain BBC, ([nobbc][ul][li][i]Test[li&#93 ;[ul][/nobbc] for example) or whether this just happens randomly? It'd help lots when investigating this

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ maCe
link=topic=8405.msg142898#msg142898 date=1118647996]
Possibly a parse bug with SMF 1.1 Beta 3, but thats what we're here for, bug testing :P
Oi! :P .. True though!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 00:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sure can.

I noticed it happens with various codes and how they're listed together.

Example:

Quote:
  • [size=7pt]This text was written as a test to include italics[/size]
Simply look at the order of the BBC here with your modify and you'll see that it's in order, just like before, but now, because the Italics BBC code is injected in the middle, it messes with the list function (before, list would indent, now it doesn't unless you add the LI tags). Also, look how the quote tags are messing up too.

Next Example:

By the way author=XXX in the quote tag no longer seems to work?

Quote:
  • [size=7pt]
    • This text was written as a test and here's the italics
    [/size]
Again, the quote teg messes up, but the list function finally works again, using the LI tag within the LIST tags. However, quote is messed up and the size tag is erroring too.

Anyhow - I've just noticed there's a theme to it, and it comes down to the order of the BBC codes open and closing tags.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 06:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Anyhow - I've just noticed there's a theme to it, and it comes down to the order of the BBC codes open and closing tags.
Well the have to be nested properly, otherwise it stuffs up :S

e.g. [ list ] tags must be followed by [ li ] or another bullet point thing, because thats the structure of html lists.. list decleration, then the actual list items.. Maybe thats the problem :\
Old 14 Jun 2005, 15:47   #6 (permalink)
Aun'O

[maCe] is right. SMF re-coded the BBC parsing system, and in the process they made it so that only "well-formed" BBC is converted. For example, good:

[nobbc][b][i]Test[/i][/b][/nobbc]

Bad:

[nobbc][b][i]Test[/b][/i][/nobbc]

Also, as [maCe] said, lists must have a [nobbc][li][/nobbc] part to the, you can't just have [nobbc][list]blah[/list][/nobbc]. This looks like the problem to me.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds good I've started using tables to make the indentations and all for paragraphs instead of the old listing codes. I think the old software must have been bugged before, because list+text+/list was a simple way to indent a piece of text, so I suppose the bug is fixed now and I'll have to use longer and more proper ways to format text

Just a test:
  • Indented Text using just List

Doh! Look, it's working again...

Cheers for the help!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm thats strange.. well, I know the reason behind that, lists are naturally indented, and any text that aren't in li tags gets inserted right at the start of the list (same thing happens with tables), and because the list element is indented overall.. the text gets indented..

On another note, I'm surprised that there isn't any indentation code.. at least I don't think there is :\ (apart from using a lotta spaces)