Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Depression
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2009, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Depression

I've noticed a few members on here (including myself) have had issues with this (seen via venting thread) and occasionally there has been some negative press towards it. I know this is a 40k website, but maybe have a hidden thread for these people so we can act as a support group....
Old 08 Jun 2009, 02:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Depression

You mean...like a depression committee? :P

Seriously, though, I think it might have merit as a board under SD&D. We all struggle with depression sometimes and it might be good to have a place to vent it out and get some support form our fellow lonely gamers.
Old 08 Jun 2009, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Seriously, though, I think it might have merit as a board under SD&D. We all struggle with depression sometimes and it might be good to have a place to vent it out and get some support form our fellow lonely gamers.
That would be the only problem I see :P Though.... isn't that what the venting thread is for?

I do remember chat being very very good for that too, but I've been away from chat for awhile.
Old 08 Jun 2009, 03:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the idea should recieve some consideration. It would certainly relieve the other forums on this board of most negative comments or discussions. Its sometimes a good thing to 'let it out' every once in a while. If you don't then...you tend to go a little crazy. (I speak from personal experience.)

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Old 08 Jun 2009, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its just if the poeple who do have the illness it any of its various forms, we can discuss our experiences and be more supportive of each other.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 09:28   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

My personal feeling is that talking and sharing on the boards is already a good way to help with depression - arguably better than moping around in a 'depression' board reading about depressing things and talking with other depressed people.

While we want to be a friendly community, I think setting up dedicated support boards may be biting off more than we can chew and detract from the fact that this is, after all, a warhammer site. I have nothing against people using the Enclave for such things however.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The reason I'm saying it is because people may want it a little more private (hidden thread) and whilst yes there will be depressing topics there, we will act as a support group and help epople combat their feelings of sadness. It could just give people hel they may need...
Old 09 Jun 2009, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Thing is, if it's a hidden thread, then people with depression are going to have to go and ask for permission to view it, and wait for said permissions to be granted before they can use it. The venting thread is available for people to voice their problems, and through that support can be obtained, and as I have seen is the case, people offer their PM boxes to others so they can talk in private and discuss something that's affecting someone. I feel generally as a community we are very supportive of each other, and there isn't necessarily any need for a dedicated board for it.

Having said that, there are merits to having a board in place too, in that more advice and help can be more readily obtained than via PM, but I would argue that a "hidden" board might not be as productive in practice as it seems in theory, plus, awareness of it would need raising constantly if it were hidden.

On a similar note, with the venting thread doing a sterling job as it is, what if we had a "support" board, kinda like the venting thread, but people can post their individual problems and anxieties as their own topics, thus allowing people to respond and offer advice more readily and easily, and this board could of course incorporate any depression threads as well.

Those are my musings on the matter.
Old 09 Jun 2009, 12:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

95% of the human population suffer depression at some time of their lives.
Clinical depression is much rarer though.
The best way to cure depression, or at least cope with it, is to speak about it, and understand you are not alone. Drugs often lead to separate problems and dependency, which does nothing for your brain's natural ability to produce the chemicals it is lacking in the first place (i.e. the basis of depression).
Depression is a subject I am very interested in, and spent a lot of my time studying whilst at university (I graduated in Psych... and I am currently looking for funding to start my Masters degree in Clinical and Public effects of Addiction).
I think a venting thread would be good for people who need to get things off their chest. It will allow for support from what is essentially, a caring community here at TO.
I would be more than willing to pop in every now and then to give advice were it needed or requested (I would not deign to otherwise).
Rezzy, talking ABOUT depression is already considered one of the most valid ways of treating depression, what do you think happens if you see a psychiatrist? For me, I happened to be depressed at university, then when I had to write a paper on depression, it helped me in more ways that I could possibly express.
If anyone here is depressed, I suggest reading as many articles on depression (not self help books, actual psychological papers with clinical and social evidence behind them). It will help you.
It makes you a little more depressed at first, but once your brain hits a peak of a certain thing, it levels itself out, that is how it works. That is why people with ADHD and ADD are given ritalin and the like... to over ride the natural over production (or under production) or certain chemicals... but there are better ways to do this than drug treatment in MOST cases. A lot of the time (though it sounds easy to say and harder to actually do) most depression is just a case of... you are going to HAVE to just get OVER it. Take each day as it comes and do not EXPECT anything. People who expect less are let down less often. Rely on yourself only at the end of the day, being depressed around your friends will not endear them to help you out, it is a vicious cycle that usually ends in the person being alone (the friends get sick of it) and in a bottomless pit if they do not literally just find something to do and snap out of it.
Of course, if you don't want to read these threads, you don't have to. But I think if there is a call for it, it should be granted, and I don't believe it should be hidden.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Old 09 Jun 2009, 12:45   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Rezzy, talking ABOUT depression is already considered one of the most valid ways of treating depression, what do you think happens if you see a psychiatrist?
1. I'd like a source for that. When studying depression I learned that one thing depressed people do is make themselves worse by focusing on it all the time. Understanding it through study is a good idea though.
2. Speaking to a qualified professional is entirely different from chatting to people on a forum.

Quote:
I am currently looking for funding to start my Masters degree in Clinical and Public effects of Addiction
Awesome. I'm reading a book called Codependency that you may find interesting if you haven't read it already. It isn't all that long.