Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mods, Members and Army Lists
Old 22 Mar 2009, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Mods, Members and Army Lists

This topic has been split from the Regulator topic to keep things nicely seperated.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡Rastafari Is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
If they aren't replying, its because people don't want to - we can't force people to critique.
But what I'm concerned about is the fact that there are huge amounts of unreplied topics about army lists in many sections. In the Space Marine forum alone there are 13 unreplied topics on army lists. These people need help with their lists as well and with a dedicated staff of "Connoisseurs" we could help them as well.

I don't want people to think of my ideas as a Mod Bash; I understand your responsablities and know that critiqueing is not one of them.
But thats not something requiring a new position - if you see uncritiqued lists, then comment. Tell your mates to comment. A lot of the time, I see with lists one can go a day or two with no replies, but once the first response is posted, more soon follow.

And I didn't think for a second you were mod bashing, and I know you mean well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡Rastafari Is!
But what I'm concerned about is the fact that there are huge amounts of unreplied topics about army lists in many sections. In the Space Marine forum alone there are 13 unreplied topics on army lists. These people need help with their lists as well and with a dedicated staff of "Connoisseurs" we could help them as well.
Yes but "connosseurs" wouldn't help I don't think. Replying to Army lists actually gets very dull and very repetetive, very quickly. Hense why most people don't do it very often if at all. I doubt there would be 2 let alone fully 5 members per board that would be willing to do that sort of thing regularly especially with a quota.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was just trying to assist people who don't get as much attention in army list sections as other members. Obviously a moderator who posts a list would get more attention when it comes to army lists- and you know its true, don't try and argue the point- then the proverbal John Doe.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thats just not true:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=149.0

Theres 8 Lists that have 10 or more replies to it. Only 1 of them is made by a Moderator, and 2 by a former.

still don't believe me?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=109.0

This time we have 4 lists with 10 or more replies. Main contributing factor for me to get a good few replies is because I made up half of them on a weird army list.

The fact of the matter is - just because a Mod posts a list doesn't automatically make it popular and active.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 20:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In the Chaos Board replies to Staff Member's posts average out to just shy of 20 posts (I may have missed some). Regular member's average out to around 6.5 replies. Even with that massive 69 replies topic.

I assume the same thing would happen in the Ork board but I don't have the time or patience to add it up. The fact of the matter is that Moderators have a "name brand" assocation tied on with them- posts made by them will naturally have more views and posts on them then other member's posts.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 20:53   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Okay - so lets look at the 5 Lists made by moderators in the chaos army list section:

JD1 - 17
JD2 - 13
Ryan - 6
Cadever - 32
Waargh - 0

Total - 68

And compared to the Top 5 Non-Mod Lists:

Wild - 69
Crazy guy - 23
Zenai - 26
Hotpanda - 13
Max Smirnov - 12

Total - 143

Take away the rather freakish 69 and you still 74, 6 more than the mod posts.

If we take the topics started by Mods in each of the army list board (seeing as we have drifted towards it) and compare it with the same number as Non-Mod topics we see the same thing in:

Orks
Tyranids
Eldar
Imperial Guard
and Tau

The only place where Moderators had more replies in a army list section was in the dark eldar board where Ryan was the only person to have more than 10 posts in any.

I can guarantee that you'll find the exact same thing in other sections aswell.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:41   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Mods, Members and Army Lists

I think we can scrap this one because:
1) I want to give critique on my own time and for my own reason
2) Sooner or later, someone will critique but the Inquisition seem to lack critics.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

The thing is, on an established forum like this, mods really don't need to post, they need to moderate. On a forum that is starting, of course it is the mods responsibility to keep things going, but here mods really jsut have to make sure that no one breaks the flow, and that should be good enough.

The people that are made mods are done so because they do such good jobs, so of course they generally do still post a lot, but there is no need for them to.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First of all, my entire first post was deleted by myself to keep the Regulator topic on track so I guess I can't blame you too much. However, I did acknowledge the fact that Moderators are there to keep the forums clean. In no way did I state that the Moderators need to post more on army list topics. I was simply stating that I knew it wasn't their job to post critiques, only to keep those critiques clean and on-topic.

The only reason I even thought about bring this to the attention of the Staff is because of post like this. It has been since March 11 since the original post and there have sill been no replies. There are loads of unreplied topic in army list sections that need as much of a critique as anybody elses. I'm not saying that adding a new forum position would solve the problem but it might help a (in my opinion) flawed system.

Now, I'll get to my responces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
The thing is, on an established forum like this, mods really don't need to post, they need to moderate. On a forum that is starting, of course it is the mods responsibility to keep things going, but here mods really just have to make sure that no one breaks the flow, and that should be good enough.

The people that are made mods are done so because they do such good jobs, so of course they generally do still post a lot, but there is no need for them to.
See my disclaimer above. I'm sorry that I deleted my original post. Completely my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
1) I want to give critique on my own time and for my own reason
Nobody is pressganging you into becoming a "Connoisseur". It's a voluntary thing just like aspiring to Moderator status is. But you do have to think about people who aren't getting their lists critiqued. Why? They have just the amount of potential as any other list on this forum but without the hard work of another member, they will never reach that potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
2) Sooner or later, someone will critique but the Inquisition seem to lack critics.
Alas, but it is not so. Just skimming through pages of Army List sections you could find literally hundreds of unresponded topics on army lists. Perhaps the only exception to this is the Tau Army Lists. Kudos to them for doing a great job. If we could get every Army List board up to the amount of helpful replies for army lists they are getting there, to every forum, it would be a wonderful thing. That is what I'm trying to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
I can guarantee that you'll find the exact same thing in other sections as well.
My mistake. I'm a Liberal Arts student .

Take me, for an example. I've posted my list on three forums; Here, Warseer, and B&C yet this is the only place where I haven't gotten a reply. Admittedly those forums are much larger but still I can say that I expected at the very least one reply from a TO member...
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think part of the problem is due to the high quality of our forum members. People do not want to reply unless they can really help (well mostly).

I like helping people with their army list, a lot. In fact I spend quite a bit of time trying to help people out with their list in the Tau Army List Child Board. But unfortunately I really do not have enough expertise (nor time) to help out on other army list boards.

I agree, it would be nice to see more constructive replies in the army list child boards, but the lack of replies is in the nature of the beast.

I am sorry ¡Bass Pro '09!, that no one replied to your army list. But honestly it is probably because your list was so well done that people could not think of anything they could say to truly help you. Take it as a complement.

Look on the bright side, at least you did not get any “post flyers” who are just posting to post, or people who criticize you without knowing what they say, or are convinced they are “right” on an opinionated issue. I think those kinds of post are very destructive, and discourage newer members from our forum.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote