Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I can't get on Tau Forums at college.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I can't get on Tau Forums at college.

When i try to get on Tau Forums at my college campus. It says i'm banned and can't post or message on the forums. But here at my house i can get on fine. I think one of the Admins banned the University of Houston IP address. I believe the reason was because of one of my friends posting something while at school. He supposedly got banned for it. Would that ban the IP address that he is using also? ???

If so please remove that ban off of my college's IP address.

Ausv7
For The Emperor!

"For the Emperor!"
Ausv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default Re: I can't get on Tau Forums at college.

Yes, the IP itself is banned, and it will remain banned as what your friend did was to create a second account solely to flame someone. Your friend's other account(s) are banned from the forums also. IP banning was in this case necessary in addition to banning the accounts, and therefore we cannot lift this ban.
Farseer_Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 13:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't know it's kinda weird because i am on the server now but i'm guessing since it's a large campus that it must have multiple IP addresses. Hmmm we'll its another mystery. Thanks for the answer.

"For the Emperor!"
Ausv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Your campus should have dynamic IP for many machines, or static IP for each terminal in a computer lab. In this case we only banned one particular IP out of the entire range, so whichever computer you logged in from may open up again when its address is reset. And a different computer may work. The IP ban was implemented because the member in question had a history of creating multiple accounts.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2009, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Most likely, your college is running a NAT, meaning that a number of computers and internal IP addresses map to one external IP addy. Its pretty common at colleges and businesses. A simple tracert should show you whats going on...and generally, your IP addy will be an internal address as well(say, one with 10 in the first octet).

There is no good solution for the need to ban the offending individual and still allow access from that location, unfortunately. Id reccomend checking around and seeing if different labs are on different NATs or not(most likely not, but it doesn't hurt to check).

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote