Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Over-sensitivity on the forums
Closed Thread
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Over-sensitivity on the forums

It seems to me that lately on the forums (more in the Hobby/Conversion/Showcase boards...), topics are getting locked out because of escalating fights over what is or is not constructive criticism.

After reading over about a half dozen of these, I really think it boils down to people getting more offended than they should, and mods jumping all over it saying things like "outrageous", "shocked", "appalled", etc. Its a ****ing forum. You come here to hear the public. And not one of the threads I read had a direct 'attack' towards the poster, just not sugar-coated bullsht posts of false-praise. If I post a piece of shit on the forum, I HOPE it gets shot down, not gently patted on the back.

People -REALLY- need to grow up a bit and not get so upset over a ****ing forum post. Loss of 'karma' (of which i have a whole other bone to pick) and topics getting locked at the rate that it has been really needs to stop. If you don't like what someone said about your p.o.s painting job or BS house rules, don't cry a river + flag it for a mod. And mods, if someone disagrees with you, or god forbid you're the one who posts something non-deserving of praise, don't smite a forumite because they're speaking their mind. You're not an all-powerful infalable being, you're just here to regulate the threads. Smiting a member or locking the topic because you dont get the answer you want is just an abuse of power and a show of immaturity. Grow up.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Over-sensativity on the forums

I guess I have to remind you that you don't have any particular right to free speech on a private forum. The forum rules are there to maintain a positive atmosphere to present their work. You do not have a right to lay into someone for your own amusement. If you post a "piece of shit", you should be able to expect people to comment on what they don't like about it, and make suggestions about how you might improve it. If they can't be bothered to do that, they should simply ignore it.

We don't want to stifle criticism, since that is what those boards are there for. But criticism does not have to revolve around telling someone that their work is garbage. You should always approach it from the perspective of trying to help in some way. And if you do that, I agree with you that whoever posted it should accept criticism gracefully.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

And shaper, the mods will only smite if there is a direct insult or flame. If someone turned around and said, "I hate it, it is crap" smite or warning, but if someone said "Well I'm not the biggest fan of it, hre are a few possible tips in how to impove it" it is very different. People ask for C&C, comments and criticism. Whlst yes some will be a bit defensive, if you are going to comment, make them comments, not just criticism. And visa versa...
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...what topics in particular have you observed, since I don't think I've seen a lot of that myself.

Anyway, I am overly sensitive, which is probably why I don't paint or post much of my own work. I know my painting is bad and I'm not about to invest an ungodly amount of time and money into making it any better, so I'd prefer NOT to be ripped a new one because my minis aren't up to your Golden Demon standard. But there's a difference between constructive criticism and outright labeling someone's work a "piece of shit" like you have. If that's the tone you take in every topic then no wonder you've been smitten or warned.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think it's blatantly obvious that this is in relation to Vash's Terminator thread.

I'll echo what Khanaris said: You don't get free speech here, this is the internet.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 00:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

I dont even think its free speech crap that has to do with why this thread is wrong.
They get locked because some people do not limit themselves and realize what is too far.

I talk my mind freely. I talk crap sometimes, i don't make the best posts on other times.
Its mainly that people do not have self-control and the mods take care of it.

There are only 1 moderator i have seen to be a bit over-zealous in locking, but it works.
No offense but if it bothers you THAT much, instead of whining about it in a thread,
why don't you actually just ask/(give the mods a good enough reason) the mods to unlock the thread your talking about?

Saw said terminator thread. Very reasonably locked.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 01:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

One thing a lot of people forget about criticism is that, by definition, it comes in two part:

1) The shredding to piece.
That one is easy enough and most people have no problem with that.

2) The suggestion for improvement.
In a criticism this is not option, this is mandatory and a lot of people forget about this.

Edit:
And sometimes it's the OP that request for the thread to be lock...even if the mod dont mention this.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 09 Feb 2009, 05:58   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
I think it's blatantly obvious that this is in relation to Vash's Terminator thread.
This is what I think as well, and as I was the Moderator who dealt with this situation and who Moderates the Hobby board (among many others,) I shall pitch my thoughts to this discussion.

Vash's Terminator thread was the first flame-worthy topic I have closed in the Hobby board since becoming a Moderator, I have never experienced any problems at all with the Hobby board until, of course, someone reported the members in Vash's terminator thread. The behaviour of the members in question was totally out of order, they spoke to Vash in a nasty, disrepspectful way and offered nothing in the terms of proper advice. Such behaviour warranted immediate Warnings and upon further inspection found that the Forum Rules had been broken in regards to Games Workshop IP, so I issued Smites as well.

I have never had any problems with the Hobby board until Vash's Terminator thread, I may have had to deal with the odd Necro' or someone posting the wrong thing in the wrong board, but it is the first time I've had to control a situaton as heated as that topic in the Hobby board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
And mods, if someone disagrees with you, or god forbid you're the one who posts something non-deserving of praise, don't smite a forumite because they're speaking their mind. You're not an all-powerful infalable being, you're just here to regulate the threads. Smiting a member or locking the topic because you dont get the answer you want is just an abuse of power and a show of immaturity. Grow up.

I cannot help but think that most of that statement is directed at me, but I do not think it is fair to brand everyone with the same brush, as so to speak, also you should pause for a moment and realise what the Forum would be like if people like me were not here spending hours of our free time dealing with the mess angry members leave behind. It is statements like that which drive me ever closer to deleting my own account, as I do wonder why I should bother at all?

Old 09 Feb 2009, 07:51   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
If you don't like what someone said about your p.o.s painting job or BS house rules, don't cry a river + flag it for a mod. And mods, if someone disagrees with you, or god forbid you're the one who posts something non-deserving of praise, don't smite a forumite because they're speaking their mind. You're not an all-powerful infalable being, you're just here to regulate the threads. Smiting a member or locking the topic because you dont get the answer you want is just an abuse of power and a show of immaturity. Grow up.
Its comments like this, flaming, that lead to smites :

People disagree with mods all the time. You know why that makes it hard for us to post up our stuff? Because we do have the power to smite people who knock our submission down. Thats why it can be incredibly frustrating to post content, as even if the topic gets right out of hand, another mod has to deal with it.

Everytime we post something like pics, or a house rule, we are in essence ordinary members. We have to rely on tother mods if the thread goes off on one.

What I'm gabbling at is that it was nothing to do with Vash, the smites in the thread, another mod came in and took action as he needed to.

So before cries of power abuse, make sure you have all the facts.

Furthermore, if you do disagree with a mods call, go to a Gmod. Or go straight to FT himself. We have a hirearchy for a reason, simply because we are not, as you said, infallible. We make mistakes, god knows I have (think I smited someone once by accident....).

Point is, instead of making a flame starting post complaining, take it up a level. We have a whole group of GMods who can look over your grievance, and take action, and its better to do that than start a thread which will probably end in flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 09 Feb 2009, 08:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

If this is just about that Terminator thread then as far as I'm concerned, Anton's actions were impeccable and I don't think they can be criticised in any way. The thread was full of heated posts and outright flaming. It was begging to be locked and it was locked. It's as simple as that.

Furthermore, if Games Workshop's Intellectual Policy was violated then that is a very serious offence as that could lead to them taking legal action against us. So smiting people who violate it is perfectly appropriate.