Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Strange Gazzet/TO Newsletter Merger
Old 02 Feb 2009, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Strange Gazzet/TO Newsletter Merger

As some subscribers may have noticed, the Gazzet is slowly dying.
This is mainly caused by the lack of enthousiasm of both the writers and the readers.

Readers do not respond to the quizzes and crosswords and blackouts and whatever game we come up with.
Is this because there is little reward?
Readers, do please give us some feedback.

Writers are less inclined to write if there is no 'evidence' of people reading and liking what they read, for instance, by responding to the games.
Also, we're in dire need for more writers, so if anyone out there feels they're an unfathomable vessel of 40K-humor, please volunteer.

Help us Gazzet-reader, or at least point and tell us what we're doing wrong.

Thanks in advance everyone!

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 10:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The Strange Gazzet/TO Newsletter Merger

Here's why I stopped responding to your little quizzes/blackouts/crosswords (and here's the reason why I started reading the Gazzet); you got rid of the competition points. I dislike these "gazzet points" and they're worthless to me. While with competition points, I was slowly able to save up for karma/custom title and I actually got to brush up on my 40k stuff.

Also, I long ago advocated for a bi-weekly newsletter that got rid of the monthly newsletter (which lacks content in my opinion) and the Gazzet (which has useless content.) My idea got more flak than a C47 over France and it flew into the ground taking it's stick with it (okay, I just got done watching Band of Brothers. Again.)

That's the gist of why I stopped reading. Oh, I think I was boycotting the fact the writers/anyone-associated-with-the-Gazzet were getting karma for what seemed to be the most asinine reasons. AND I never saw the reason to write up an article to share.

In fact, I was about to inquire as to what it takes to cancel my subscription. I need inbox space and the Gazzet gets deleted as soon as I get it.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 10:42   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Problem I see with the competition points, the Gazzette as it was was too "unofficial" if you understand me, for that to work.

Now, as there seems to be some issue with the newsletter at the mo, have you considered getting togethor with the newsletter crew, and combining the best of both into a new, hyrbid newsletter?

The fun parts can stil remain, but the overall tone of the gazzette will be more serious, therefore more warranting of the competition points scheme.

My advice? Speak to the newsletter crew. Redo the whole lot into something better, faster and stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 11:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mayhaps...mayhaps we could combine the Gazette & the Newsletter? Sort of a consolidation of interests? The Newsletter is already flat-lining. I'm thinking that meeting somewhere in the middle: some official forum news, competition winners, etc mixed in with reviews, fluff, experimental rules, and hobby material, mixed in with funny Gazette material.

I'd be willing to help with either. Maybe we should try to get FT on board with it and put our heads together.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

It can be done. The Gazzet Staff can fill up the gap of the shortage of TO Newsletter support staff while TO Newsletter itself will give purpose to the Gazzet Staff
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 13:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

What happened to the member interviews? They were great. I liked reading them, and it was nice hoping to be asked =P
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree on using the Gazzet to fill the gap from the newsletter.

The reason I stopped reading it, as odd as this may sound, was at its peak I was getting it what seemed like twice a week. I just don't have the time to read something thoroughly when it's pushed out so often. When it was on a more monthly schedule I'd read it and looked forward to it, but 4-6 times a month was just too much for me.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

About those competition points, I 'slightly' agree on that, though getting karma for solving quizzes etc is a bit...much, in my opinion.

Merging with the newsletter? I don't know. Now that people start mentioning it, it has been a while since I got one myself...

Who is responsible for the Newsletter? I'll look into it.

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
About those competition points, I 'slightly' agree on that, though getting karma for solving quizzes etc is a bit...much, in my opinion.

Merging with the newsletter? I don't know. Now that people start mentioning it, it has been a while since I got one myself...

Who is responsible for the Newsletter? I'll look into it.
No, the karma came from stupid articles and inside jokes. Using competition points to buy karma is stupid but it's an option. I was going to use competition points to buy a custom title.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
What happened to the member interviews? They were great. I liked reading them, and it was nice hoping to be asked =P
They were in the newsletter, but I see no reason the gazzette can't do them as well (although seriously)

If both the newsletter crew and the gazzette crew get their heads togethor to produce a monthly letter, containing the serious side of hte newsletter with the funny side of the gazette, I think it will make a very good publication.

Ineluki - looks like Aureus, Cameron and Wargamer were the main people, along with TO.

Getting FT in on it would be a good idea as well though.

Edit: Just PM'd FT to get his input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote