Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necro Prevention?
Old 22 Jan 2009, 02:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default Necro Prevention?

Well, it's obvious that new members have been necroing threads a lot more frequently lately. While most of people can just blame it on their ignorance of the rules, this isn't really the case, seeing as you get a warning message saying that it's more than two months old.

However, this just doesn't seem like enough. The rule on TO is to get a mod's permission before returning a thread back to life. Why not actually TELL them that when they're trying to post.

Rather than 'warning: this thread hasn't been posted in in 60days.'

Make it, 'Warning: This thread hasn't been replied to in over 60 days. Please ask permission to post in this thread from a Moderator, Global Mod, or Admin before you get yelled at.'

Or...something similar... >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Necro Prevention?

Normally I ask the Mods to lock my topics and such. But I guess you need a long term and effective plan to curb this. And I kinda agree with the Sea Cow's plan.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

We have a pop-up for PM's.

Is it possible to have a pop-up for 60+ day posts? You hit the post thing and it goes "It is against the TauOnline Rules to post in a topic after 60 days. This is called "Threadcromancy" or "Necroing a topic."

And if the user says yes, the thread gets flagged anyway for Mods to show up and judge whether anything new of worth had been added or not.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Would it be possible to take an even easier way out?
By automatically locking topics over 60 days old, it would pretty much stop threadcromancy. A person wishing to post in the topic would be able to ask the mods and if their post is good enough it could be unlocked.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

The problem with that is that some threads in the enclave are the type that lie dormant for a couple of months then spring to life again, like the motivational posters, and member picture threads.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadhfang
The problem with that is that some threads in the enclave are the type that lie dormant for a couple of months then spring to life again, like the motivational posters, and member picture threads.
Why not just make it like some other forums where when you post the post waits for a mod to allow the submission of said post?
That and make this work in most areas of the forum, like disable its use in the enclave?
Old 22 Jan 2009, 09:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Depending on how the coding works, if there was a way to kick that in after 60 days I imagine that would work quite well actually. Whether it's implememntable is another question though, but I like that idea.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 11:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Where exactly are all these topics that new members have been necroing? I've just been browsing through most of the forum looking for them and I have only found four examples of recent thread necromancy - two of them having been made pretty much at the same time by the same member, and one of them having been done in September 2008 (so I'm being fairly generous with the word recent!) Now maybe I'm blind - in which case please do point out to me where all these topics are - but in my opinion, four such instances of it in a forum this size isn't really anything to be seriously concerned about. So the measures that people above are suggesting seem to me to be a complete waste of time and energy.

Also, since when has it been a rule on TO that you have to get a mod's permission before ressurrecting an old topic? As far as I'm aware the rule is - and always has been - that you shouldn't resurrect an old topic unless you have something very useful and productive to add to it. Now, it is highly recommended that if you're not sure whether something is 'very useful and productive' you should check with a mod first - and quite rightly and sensibly so. But if you just go ahead and post something very useful and productive in an old topic (which I've done myself occasionally) it isn't going to be locked just because you didn't get a mod's permission first.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well you have:

Rabble2 mostly in Tau, but a few other places. Notebly: "Yourself, in game terms" in 40K creation (dead since 2007).
Puppyeater three time in a row in Showcase
Akaiyou a couple time inTyranid IIRC.

That's just off the top of my head, in most of those case they were duly warned though...even if only by other players.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2009, 15:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Fair point regarding Puppyeater....the showcase board was one of the boards I didn't look through.

Akaiyou's posts I'd spotted.

Rabble2 hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can see. I can't see any instances of him committing necromancy in the Tau board. Now he has resurrected an old thread from 2007 in the 40k creation board but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that specific resurrection as far as I can see (and as shown by the fact that lots of people have now posted on the topic after him, not one of them has complained about necromancy and the topic has remained open.)