Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Conduct
Old 09 Jan 2009, 12:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Conduct

Wow you guys really are harsh about other people ideas! I wasn't expecting people to be tip-toeing around but man some times you guys just slam peeps into brick walls and piss all over there questions/ answers. I've just joined and sepnt the last 2-3 day trawling through all the posts that interested me and replying to a few and all I can say is some of you are just mean to each other. Is this normal, or (as I've seen some fall out on people Sigs.) has there been a masive fall out that is only just coming to pass?
Old 09 Jan 2009, 13:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Re: Conduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklighter
Wow you guys really are harsh about other people ideas! I wasn't expecting people to be tip-toeing around but man some times you guys just slam peeps into brick walls and Aulma all over there questions/ answers. I've just joined and sepnt the last 2-3 day trawling through all the posts that interested me and replying to a few and all I can say is some of you are just mean to each other. Is this normal, or (as I've seen some fall out on people Sigs.) has there been a masive fall out that is only just coming to pass?
Hmm? Do go on. I've been here for a good while, and TO's been one of the more friendly forums, especially towards newer posters.

Now, if the idea is particularly stupid, or u typ liek this!!111!!one, then yeah, some people might make some comments. But that happens to all of us. You adjust, move on, and become a better poster because of it. Oh, and if you don't like arguments, stay out of SD&D

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 13:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm, looking at your past posts, I'd guess that you've been looking at the Tau threads. So, yes, sometimes they do get rather heated. But this is a Tau fan forum, so that is to be expected. Players sometimes get passionate about their races. Now, I would say that there is a marked difference between arguing passionately and slamming people into brick walls. I would say that the former occurs much more often here than the latter. However, there are a few things that aren't tolerated well, namely Tau Titans, Smurf-bashing, and fanboyism. Sometimes people will post with one of these things being central to their theme and, yes, they will get slammed.

If you could provide specific examples, though, that would help us to help you understand the context of the posts. Generally, Tau Online is a terrifically friendly forum with some very knowledgable (if not dangerous) members. Just watch out for the ninja scorpions, drunk, sword-wielding global moderators, and SD&D
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 15:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Don't get me wrong I've not had people bash me or my ideas just looking around some of the threads you guys seem to very blunt with each other. I'm not going to bring up examples of individuals but the Tau FanDex page wow that's really not looking constuctive. I was mainly commenting on the general feel I've gotten so far from what I've read it also looks like people with High Karma throw there wait around alot maybe they've earned it but it's a little off putting for a new member. I've had a read of more than Just Tau as I've got a Blood Angels army as well and I've looked else were and got the same feel.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, I don't really share those views. I'm here for a couple of years now, and the Board is usually very friendly.

There is one problem, though, that I recognise:

Repetition: If the same answer is asked again and again, you do get a bit irrate. Same thing with things that turn up over and over - Tau Titans have been mentioned, but CC Tau and Chaos Tau are an evergreen, as well, followed by fanboyism and leet speak. Those things make you clench your fists, and if you had a bad day at work/in the LGS, then, well...

Another thing that spawned a whole heated argument about one and a half years back was the Vet/Newbie distinction. I'm especially refering to Karma count/Custom Titles and so on - people with higher Karma seem to get more hear and their advice seems to be more valued than beginners - which is of course understandable, yet has the drawback that it's difficult for beginners to build up a rep, because they're overlooked (though a distinctive name and Avatar help!), and easily gets to the head of the Vets. Couple this with the fact that some vets get away with stuff no beginner would get away unharmed (or, rather, unsmitten), and you can feel some frustration rising.

But, in my opinion, most of these problems are not really problems per se - they are just perks of any longstanding and longrunning board with a big membership pool of experienced gamers who have built more or less stable online-friendships. Some nepotsim is to be expected, and it isn't automatically a bad thing.

If you really have a problem with a particular post, feel free to report it (there's an option in every post), and a mod will look at it. Don't be shy, no one's been smitten for reporting a post (IIRC ).

And, please, never forget that you, as well, are responsible for making this board a nice place for all of us - make sure your posts not only follow the rules, but are also formulated in a respectful manner, with proper grammar and spelling, and at least SOME content ("I agree" is not content... ). Those things go a long way to make sure your voice is heard - I, personally, dismiss most posts outright that don't start with a capital letter, for example ;D

Have a nice time here on the Boards,

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 16:42   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I've not had people bash me or my ideas just looking around some of the threads you guys seem to very blunt with each other. I'm not going to bring up examples of individuals but the Tau FanDex page wow that's really not looking constuctive. I was mainly commenting on the general feel I've gotten so far from what I've read it also looks like people with High Karma throw there wait around alot maybe they've earned it but it's a little off putting for a new member. I've had a read of more than Just Tau as I've got a Blood Angels army as well and I've looked else were and got the same feel.
Guess that was me when I questioned the Authors and Play-Testers about the Tau FanDex.....

Was really an effort to despise Tau less. Better than assuming they just play Tau and no other army at all as well as thinking they're all Fanboy~ish Morons. So I had to ask.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I've not had people bash me or my ideas just looking around some of the threads you guys seem to very blunt with each other. I'm not going to bring up examples of individuals but the Tau FanDex...
Guess that was me when I questioned the Authors and Play-Testers about the Tau FanDex.....

Was really an effort to despise Tau less. Better than assuming they just play Tau and no other army at all as well as thinking they're all Fanboy~ish Morons. So I had to ask.
He could be referring to te original fandex thread. We got pretty heated in there over a few sore issues. (I was in many of them myself. :P )
Though, by the same token... I think the "high karma" quote smidgen gives away who he's talking about. :

PS- Most of us (Tau players) love Zenny. Even if he won't fight und- er, um, on our side.
See Zenny tries not to be a rampant fanboy, he seeks the wisdom to understand. I have quite a bit of respect for the new Zenai (compared to his old spammy self). :funny:

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Rawr, these forums are actually pretty relaxed. Course, some topics will cause everyone to jump to guns but what'd you expect?

Shoot, I had more to say but I forgot it. >_<
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
PS- Most of us (Tau players) love Zenny. Even if he won't fight und- er, um, on our side.
Ha! More of this Tau Propaganda. I won't be fooled! Tau will be more appealing if there's some kind of major threat to their survival and/or internal strife as well as a Technological Development slowdown on par with the other races. It'll make them more interesting. Seriously...
Quote:
See Zenny tries not to be a rampant fanboy, he seeks the wisdom to understand. I have quite a bit of respect for the new Zenai (compared to his old spammy self). :funny:
Don't remind me of my "Xeno-Hating Imperial" Days >.< T'was a shameful time and I rather bury it.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 17:26   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Ha! More of this Tau Propaganda. I won't be fooled! Tau will be more appealing if there's some kind of major threat to their survival and/or internal strife as well as a Technological Development slowdown on par with the other races. It'll make them more interesting. Seriously...
Quote:
Don't remind me of my "Xeno-Hating Imperial" Days >.< T'was a shameful time and I rather bury it.
I'm an Anti-Xeno/Chaos man myself.

And I still give a fair and ballanced report of the other armies... When I feel like it.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote