Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Karma + Bat Reps
Reply
Old 05 Jan 2009, 13:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 2,823
Default Karma + Bat Reps

Karma is something that is usually given away for producing informative and useful tacticas or articles, helping people a considerable amount, showcasing brilliant models and battle reports. It's not something people should be judged on and the more you get the harder you have to work for it, not that it should become the only reason you make good posts. However, there is one particular thing in my opinion that seems to automatically demand karma, and that is a battle report.

Whilst they can be done really well, as a narrative, detailed and perhaps with pictures, I don't think that just because you post a report you should get karma. There have been times when karma has been awarded to someone who posted a few pictures and wrote about four or five lines about the battle. That doesn't really sound like a great report and unless there are a large number of pictures it can't really be defined as one, it's more akin to a brief summary of what actually happened.

All I'm saying really is that I think karma should become slightly more restricted towards battle reports. Sure they're a pleasant read but unless it's obvious a fair amount of effort has been applied and what has transpired is apparent and reasonably detailed. Of course there can be exceptions if the member has a good reason for the lack of information. I just wanted to express my opinion on how freely karma is being given away in this case.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 17:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: glasgow, scotland
Posts: 141
Send a message via MSN to danton tyr
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken
Karma is something that is usually given away for producing informative and useful tacticas or articles, helping people a considerable amount, showcasing brilliant models and battle reports. It's not something people should be judged on and the more you get the harder you have to work for it, not that it should become the only reason you make good posts. However, there is one particular thing in my opinion that seems to automatically demand karma, and that is a battle report.

Whilst they can be done really well, as a narrative, detailed and perhaps with pictures, I don't think that just because you post a report you should get karma. There have been times when karma has been awarded to someone who posted a few pictures and wrote about four or five lines about the battle. That doesn't really sound like a great report and unless there are a large number of pictures it can't really be defined as one, it's more akin to a brief summary of what actually happened.

All I'm saying really is that I think karma should become slightly more restricted towards battle reports. Sure they're a pleasant read but unless it's obvious a fair amount of effort has been applied and what has transpired is apparent and reasonably detailed. Of course there can be exceptions if the member has a good reason for the lack of information. I just wanted to express my opinion on how freely karma is being given away in this case.
I agree completely. i also have seen battle reports that seem to be lacking but have been rewarded karma. In fact i am inspired to write a battle report for my next game in a league im currently in. (which im winning and undefeated in, touch wood hehe, YAY)

Malatox, Disciple of Decay
__________________
"I am the Bringer of Pestilance, the Giver of Plague, Disciple of Decay and a brother to an unstoppable force! All this I was given by the Lord of Decay, Father Nurgle. And my father has seen fit to give me a name. I AM MALATOX!!! Now, tell me what does you False-Emperor give you but his Infernal ssilence?!"

danton tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

Not all reports are made equal, but neither are all members made equal. Members with 0-3 karma will probably get an applaud for posting even a small summary report, as an incentive to keep improving, members with 3+ karma will need to do more to get karma, and members with say 10-15 karma will really have to put up something good to get a karma cookie for it. So it's not that every report gets karma, it really depends on who is posting the report as much as what the report contains.
__________________



Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 2,823
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

I realise roughly how karma is distributed depending on how much the member already has, although your accuracy does help, but it doesn't seem to effect the situation much in my opinion, especially as most people with a fairly high karma count don't regularly post battle reports as much as eager, newer members. On the other hand, I saw someone a thread today, where someone with a rather high amount of karma was awarded another point for a report that in truth, was quite appaling.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: glasgow, scotland
Posts: 141
Send a message via MSN to danton tyr
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Not all reports are made equal, but neither are all members made equal. Members with 0-3 karma will probably get an applaud for posting even a small summary report, as an incentive to keep improving, members with 3+ karma will need to do more to get karma, and members with say 10-15 karma will really have to put up something good to get a karma cookie for it. So it's not that every report gets karma, it really depends on who is posting the report as much as what the report contains.
Wow I didn't know you were so organised! That seems like a good accurate system to me.
But are they rules or guide lines?
If they are rules, well then you can expect them to be broken on occasion. (Moderators are only human after all). If they are guide lines, then hey even more reason for people to go out the box.
Over all I think it is a good system.
That's is if all moderators that can give karma in battle reports are informed about them and try to stick by them.

Malatox, Disciple of Decay
__________________
"I am the Bringer of Pestilance, the Giver of Plague, Disciple of Decay and a brother to an unstoppable force! All this I was given by the Lord of Decay, Father Nurgle. And my father has seen fit to give me a name. I AM MALATOX!!! Now, tell me what does you False-Emperor give you but his Infernal ssilence?!"

danton tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken
I realise roughly how karma is distributed depending on how much the member already has, although your accuracy does help, but it doesn't seem to effect the situation much in my opinion, especially as most people with a fairly high karma count don't regularly post battle reports as much as eager, newer members. On the other hand, I saw someone a thread today, where someone with a rather high amount of karma was awarded another point for a report that in truth, was quite appaling.
Then PM the moderator in question and ask, sometimes to promote reports they may get karma even if they aren't that good and the member already has a respectable number, reports are rare as is and on some boards nearly non-existant so the moderator may have a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatox
Wow I didn't know you were so organised! That seems like a good accurate system to me.
But are they rules or guide lines?
If they are rules, well then you can expect them to be broken on occasion. (Moderators are only human after all). If they are guide lines, then hey even more reason for people to go out the box.
Over all I think it is a good system.
That's is if all moderators that can give karma in battle reports are informed about them and try to stick by them.
The maintanence and policy of each board is pretty much up to the individual moderators, apart from the main forum rules what each moderator does and doesn't do to maintain the peace and proper running of their board, and to promote various activities is all up to the individual personalities and policies of the specific moderators. This includes karma, there are a few general guidelines and a lot of moderators borrow ideas from each other such as with the [Insert Army's] of Tau Online threads that each have different specifics and requirements. Perhaps it might be more sensible to have a more specific set of rules for the boards, but because each one is so very different, a blanket set of guidelines and/or rules just doesn't work too well in practice.
__________________



Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 23:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: glasgow, scotland
Posts: 141
Send a message via MSN to danton tyr
Default Re: Karma + Bat Reps

I see your point... It does make sense that different moderators have different rules.
An idea I just had to improve the number of battle reports could be if some moderators put up some guidelines that make good battle reports. They wouldn't say if you do this you get karma but are just gentel guidelines to nudge people in the direction of good interesting battle reports.
Not only would it make people enjoy them better but could help someone that isn't sure how to write battle reports.
What do you think?

Malatox, Disciple of Decay
__________________
"I am the Bringer of Pestilance, the Giver of Plague, Disciple of Decay and a brother to an unstoppable force! All this I was given by the Lord of Decay, Father Nurgle. And my father has seen fit to give me a name. I AM MALATOX!!! Now, tell me what does you False-Emperor give you but his Infernal ssilence?!"

danton tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ork Library - Tacticas, Tips, Bat Reps & More! (June 21, 2010) Thor{DoH} Orks 2 05 Jan 2010 16:44
bat reps avatar of cane General 40K 1 07 Jul 2009 08:37
Tau Reps Egyptoid Showcase 3 01 Mar 2007 11:53
Why no killteam battle reps ShasLa Ndras Kara General 40K 5 29 Jan 2007 01:50
4 Witch Hunters Bat Reps shortgoth The Inquisition 8 23 Jan 2006 19:24