Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A small idea regarding karma
Old 03 Jan 2009, 20:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default A small idea regarding karma

Im not sure if it could be done but it would be nice if it could work.
When someone gets given karma i was thinking it would be nice to keep a link on their profile or something that shows everything someone has done that they have recieved karma for.

The idea behind this is that if you like someones articles or painting you could click or their profile and view other things that they have been given karma for.

This is just me voicing an idea so it will need a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A small idea regarding karma

It's certainly possible IMHO, although it would have to be limited to positive karma for obvious reasons.

There a few things to consider though.

Not all karma is given for the topics they appear to be given for. If somebody has won a competition but never posted in the competition topic(s), then it's pretty hard for Novae to award karma to them in a topic that would seem relevant, so he has the ability to give karma everywhere for that reason.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 01:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I had actually tried to look at how some one gained karma the other day, but was sad to only find the +/- count. I think implementing it for the positive side would be nice. Kind of a battle chest or awards page for each individual :P
Old 04 Jan 2009, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

It is a great idea. If it isn't too hard to implement.

I would like to see some of what other people have posted and got karma for
Old 04 Jan 2009, 13:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Just ask a few people who've written good posts and received karma for them if they mind their posts being referenced, and put them in the karma thread with a "This is what kind of thing gets you karma" perhaps working up from what gets you karma when you don't have any (i.e. pretty much proving you know how 40k works and are a mature sensible person) to what gets you karma when you have, for sake of example, +22 (i.e. essays =P).
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2009, 14:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

You can always look up other people in the Karma Log, if you really want to, although it's not as easy as this idea.

Maybe if everyone just had a section in their profile where they could post links to articles/helpful posts that they have written, if they want to?
Hive Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think that we normal members have that ability, Hive Lord. Perhaps its a moderator only function?

Anyways, I've put together a small guide to my recent Karma in my signature. I think it looks pretty good myself. Obviously I've added my own custom flare (the ¡!'s), but here is a basic code.

¡Latest Positive Karma!
Just access your Karma Log, retrieve the URL and the title to the post, and insert them were it is stated in the code. It's really simple actually.

Obviously this is the bare bones of the code but you get the point. Three was the maximum amount of characters I was allowed by the system but you can add as many as you like, just as long as you don't go over the 600 character limit.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 12:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Forgive me for being cynical...I know this thread was started with the best of intentions but I see this whole thing becoming nothing more than an excuse for people to show off their karma worthy posts.

Firstly, is there really a need for us to have visible links to our karma worthy posts? Speaking for myself, there have been times when I've wanted to look up other posts made by other members - and in such cases I just go to their profile and look up their previous posts. This suggestion assumes that a post is only worth reading if it's gained karma - which isn't true at all.

Again, call me cynical if you like, but if some people are showing off their karma worthy topics in the way iRastafari Is! currently is then other people are going to want to do the same - and we could end up with the vast majority of people clogging up their signatures with their karma'd topics - and would anyone actually follow those links? Some would obviously, but in my opinion not a lot.

I say this sort of thing every time a topic like this comes along in this board, but karma is really not that important and we do not want to promote any kind of atmosphere that suggests that the more karma you have, the better you are. All members are equally valued here regardless of their amount of karma (or at least that's what we should aspire to) and this sort of suggestion promotes the exact opposite attitude.
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
]I say this sort of thing every time a topic like this comes along in this board, but karma is really not that important and we do not want to promote any kind of atmosphere that suggests that the more karma you have, the better you are. All members are equally valued here regardless of their amount of karma (or at least that's what we should aspire to) and this sort of suggestion promotes the exact opposite attitude.
But you see, your reasoning is wrong. All members may be valued equally regardless of Karma, but they are not going to be respected as much. By your reasoning, a homeless would be consitered the same status, maybe not monetarily, but in regards to respect, as a successful business man who has labored hard and long to gain his royalities. It's the same flaw that plagues Communism. It looks effective and good when written on paper, but it does not work as it was drawn up by Marx.

The truth is this; a new member cannot be spoken of with the same respect and value that someone such as Mal can be. I'm not saying that I disagree with it, nor that I agree with it, I'm just stating the facts.

Also, my signature update was not to be egotistical, just to show an alternative way to come to a solution about this issue. I'm probably not going to keep it there for any long period of time.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 02:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I'm not sure you've fully thought your analogy through.

Yes, a successful business man may indeed have worked harder than your standard homeless man. He is therefore quite rightly entitled to more money - and the benefits that money brings, such as personal possessions. But does that mean that he deserves more respect? I would say not. All people are equal before the law...all people have the same basic human rights. And your inner character does not necessarily depend on how hard you work. A homeless person could easily have a kind and generous character while a business person could be hardnosed and selfish. In this scenario, it would be the former, not the latter who would have the lion's share of my respect.

Similarly, my personal opinion of anyone here is formed by the character that they display, not the amount of karma that they have. As in the analogy, it is possible for someone to have a large amount of karma but yet also to have a cold and unfriendly personality. Now, it is perfectly natural that in any community such as this one, there will be certain people who tend to be more respected - but those people should be respected based on their character - and good character does not necessarily equal lots of karma. You mentioned MalVeaux as an example. Now, I'm sure that those of us who remember him will agree that that guy was practically a god - and well deserving of the enormous respect that he had. He has my respect, not because of his massive karma load per se, but the fact he was practically the kindest, most generous, helpful and friendly member/moderator this place has ever known.

Now, that said, in the example I said it was appropriate that the business man got the benefits to which money entitled him. So what benefits should high levels of karma entitle us to? The simple answer is: very little, other than personal pride. Karma was never intended to give someone status above others. It is, and always has been, a personal system for yourself to indicate how you are doing. If you've been applauded - feel pleased (and rightly - you have been acknowledged for having done something good) - but karma cannot, will not and should not buy or earn you anything. The sole exception to this is that if you reach +25 karma, you are entitled to a custom title - but that is it. And even a custom title in itself does not make you better or superior to those without one.