Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Search Bug
Old 08 Aug 2007, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Search Bug

When searching for a word and a user it won't show any results.
I tried to search "Mad" from user "waargh" but didn't get results, so I changed to "Ork". Still no results.

I searched trough all forums. Seriously, like waargh have never said Ork?

Edit; After trying using the Search tool more. Theres only one simple statement for this tool; Its stupid, as 'ell.

Itīd take me around two hours to find Purple Man Eaters thread trough LOOKING for it in the hobby section.
I won't ever find purple man eaters in search... >
Old 08 Aug 2007, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Search Bug

The search is pretty stupid, although the advanced search is far better, if you know how to use it . Probably the best thing you can do is specify the boards your looking in, cutting down the potential number of false results you get right down to the cream of the crop, so to speak.

And leave the user thing well alone, as I've had trouble with that in the past and found that it only really accepts the current displayed name that is current, it doesn't seem to search at all through the usernames. For example, if you tried searching for something I've said, you'd have to use my display name of "Farseer Tyross" rather then my username of "FarseerTyross", noting the space.

So overall, I do agree that unless you do know how to use the search future, is a real pain in the butt.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I have found the search function to be pretty useless in some circumstances, and great in others. I guess it's just fickle. :P
Old 08 Aug 2007, 04:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via ICQ to Earring Send a message via AIM to Earring Send a message via MSN to Earring Send a message via Yahoo to Earring

I have never really had a problem with the search engine, I tend to always find what I need
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Earring, interesting, random, occasionally intellectual and able to give me a good thought when i have a problem (which i have too many of) :P
Earring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2007, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As far as I know, the search box at the top of the page is actually pretty contextual. Like, if you're on the front page, it will search all forums, if you're viewing a board, it will only search within that board, and if you're in a thread... not sure what it does there. Might turn into a local search.

But otherwise, use the Advanced search, then you can specify all the parameters and everything.
Old 08 Aug 2007, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
As far as I know, the search box at the top of the page is actually pretty contextual. Like, if you're on the front page, it will search all forums, if you're viewing a board, it will only search within that board, and if you're in a thread... not sure what it does there. Might turn into a local search.
You learn something new every day
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2007, 11:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm also one of those who dislike the search engine.

Either it results in too wide search results, or it doesn't find what I'm looking for, even though the stuff I want does exist within the given search parameters.

One result of the crappy engine is that the "Member location directory" thread is totally useless!
There's no way you can use the search engine to scan that particular thread for relevant data (like all members living in a specific town or country)!

Cheers
Olle
Old 09 Aug 2007, 11:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P
I'm also one of those who dislike the search engine.

Either it results in too wide search results, or it doesn't find what I'm looking for, even though the stuff I want does exist within the given search parameters.

One result of the crappy engine is that the "Member location directory" thread is totally useless!
There's no way you can use the search engine to scan that particular thread for relevant data (like all members living in a specific town or country)!

Cheers
Olle
As I said. The simple search is contextual. It depends on where you are, as to what it searches.

Admittedly you can't use the Advanced search to scan a particular thread, and it's not explicitly stated anywhere that you can search within a thread, but it works for me.

As in:
1) View the thread: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9232.0
2) Type in the search box at the top of the page: Australia
3) Press enter.

The results page that I've been presented with has 14 posts, all from the Member Location Directory thread, each with Australia mentioned somewhere in the post (admittedly I was expecting more posts of people in Australia...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
You learn something new every day
Yep, as it turns out, if you're viewing a thread, it searches within the thread. Neat. And undocumented =\
Old 09 Aug 2007, 12:42   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Perhaps you could earn a cookie from SMF by pointing it out on their forums?