Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online Chat IRC Guide
Old 15 Jun 2007, 03:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Online Chat IRC Guide

• OK, well it seems we have been having interest in the chatroom, but a lack of knowledge on the room, so I am going to step up here and start a guide.

[size=14pt]Tau Online IRC chat FAQ guide[/size]
    By Tanarin

Getting Started:

1) Well what is this chat room thing?
    Basically it is a chatroom set up for the members to talk to each other in real time. If you are familiar with AOL or Yahoo chatrooms, this is very similar.

2) I keep seeing the term IRC being used in help threads, What is it?
    IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. While I could get into the history, it is kinda beyond the scope of this guide.

3) How can I access the chatroom?
    There are two main ways to access the chatroom:
    • The Java client, which can be accessed by clicking on the Chat Link located at the top of the forum page.
    • An IRC client (Which will be discussed here)

4) I decided to use an IRC client, but where can I find one and how do I access the chat?

If you choose to use the client, your first step is downloading a client. There are many choices but the three main ones are mIRC, Trillian and X-chat. I will discuss X-chat here, as it has clients available for Windows, Linux and Mac. The client can be found at X-chat.org.

After you download and install the client, you are only a couple of steps away from connecting to the chat. First, start up the client you should see a window like this appear:

The layout is simple, the first three text boxes are for the Nick you want to use on the server (It can be whatever you want, not just your Forum name). The 4th and fifth boxes can have whatever you want to them, though the 4th one is usually filled in with whatever login name you use. As you notice the Networks are all in alphabetical order. Problem is the network we need to use is not present on the list so we'll need to add it. To do so click on the Add button and type in the name of the server. It does not have to be the real name, but just something you will remember. After you do this click the Edit button. this will cause a new window to open which should look like this:

Now you need to fill in some information as to where the client should connect. Here is a screenshot of the info you should need:

Notice how I have Channels to Join and Server Password filled in. You will need to fill in the Channels to Join Textbox, but you can leave server password blank for now (This is if you register your Nick, which I will get into in a bit.) After you fill in the information, all you need to do is close the box and click on connect. You should then be connected to the chatroom!

5) You said I could register my Nick on the server? How can I do that?

Well that's easy, you can do it in one of two ways. If you use the Java client, you can just double click on your name and follow the instructions. If you choose to use a client, you can register by going here Then to sign on and send the pass to the server, just fill in the Server Password box I told you to ignore earlier.

That should get you going for now. I will expand this guide as I get time to add more info.

+1
    ~AF

tanarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: A guide to connecting to the chatroom using an IRC client.

*Edited with a few small changes for the updated chat!*
Well, now that Tanarin has shown you the basics, I'll add in a little barebones piece on how to set up Trillian for IRC purposes.

First, you're going to want to run along to http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/
and download a copy of Trillian Basic.

Once that's downloaded, go ahead and install, MAKING SURE TO INSTALL THE IRC CLIENT when prompted. If you forget, it's not a huge deal, as it can be fixed.

Think of a nice Trillian ID for yourself and enter that when prompted. It won't be used for any online accounts, but it is what Trillian will call you.

Now that Trillian is installed, go ahead and click on "Trillian" on the main window, then "connections", then "manage connections".

Now, select "Add a new connection" and click on IRC. A box will appear.

Fill out the form as shown above, entering irc.everywherechat.com for the server address. MAKE SURE AUTO CONNECT IS CHECKED!

Now that this is done, click on "Change".

*Note* The Tau Online Chat Channel has changed from Tauonlinetalk to TauOnline. Use the second one.*
Make sure the window is filled out as above. You don't want to put your password here, because Trillian considers entering a password a task that is done before total connection to the server. Apparently, this area is for things done after successful connection and authentication.

Next, click on the "Miscellaneous" tab and make sure the "rejoin channels on connect" is checked. You can now click "Save Settings". The window will close.

Now, you are cleared to click "Connect".

If a small window pops up,

like this
you're just golden. If not, then go back to the main trillian screen and right click on the IRC orb and click "show status window". The window should now pop up.

This is the orb, it's on the left.

in the window that pops up (you may want to maximize it, by the way), type the following:

/pass YOURPASSWORD

then hit enter. YOURPASSWORD is obviously going to be replaced by your login password.

Now type

/join #TauOnline

and you should be in!

Note that the
/pass XXXXX
and
/join
will have to be typed on every reconnect, as Trillians command interface for commands on joining isn't very friendly and, unfortunately, seldom works, at least on this network (it works fine on the other ones I've joined... meh.)

Now, for those of you who forgot to install the IRC plugin, it's no biggee. Do the following: Go back up and open the "manage connections" window, but in the blue side of the window, towards the bottom, click on "plugins", and make sure IRC is checked. Follow the steps (if any) and you will have IRC installed.

Now go back up to the "manage connections" screen and do as instructed earlier in the intro.

Hope this helps someone!

+1
~AF

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah thx for all that

"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."
-Sun Tzu
ZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Nifty.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Connecting via the Java Client

I know there are some people who can't connect or don't even know the chat room even exists so I am going to explain how you can connect using the Java client that is found on this very site.

If you do not have Java or are not sure if you do, then I suggest you go to this website first before you continue.

Step 1: Where do I go?

While the chatroom has existed for a while now, getting to it is somewhat hidden. It can easily get unnoticed in the header bar for those of us who have been here a while, or even those of us who are new here. Here is a picture illustrating where to click in case you might of overlooked it.

Clicking on the link will take you to the page where the client is. After a moment, you should reach a page looking like this:

Step 2: Connecting to the chat

Once the page loads, you can then enter your nickname. If your name happens to be taken (Which may happen if you use a common handle, this is a shared server the chat is on,) don't worry, just select another one. After that just hit connect, after a few seconds you will be connected to the chatroom!

Step 3: Registering your nickname

If you have made it this far, you have most likely found a nickname you want to use, now it's time to protect it. In order to do this you just double click on your nickname and a window like this should appear:

Once you hit Register, that's it! your name is registered and you will be asked to enter it every time you log on. That is basically all there is to it. It is a simple easy way to connect, though you are bound to that page, so no going to another site unless you have tabbed browsing.

Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Re: Tau Online Chat IRC Guide

Karma this man please mods.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
Karma this man please mods.
Already been done man, but this is far from complete. I kinda consider this a living document. At some point I will clean this up and organize it better, but for now it should do. Now to work on a mIRC guide and a basic command guide.

Old 17 Jun 2007, 06:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via ICQ to Earring Send a message via AIM to Earring Send a message via MSN to Earring Send a message via Yahoo to Earring

Im guessing the chatroom was pretty empty tonight so you two had nothing better to do then make a guide...interesting :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Earring, interesting, random, occasionally intellectual and able to give me a good thought when i have a problem (which i have too many of) :P
Earring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2007, 23:18   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

hee hee, thanks guys, it works awesomely now that I need it ^_^
Old 04 Feb 2008, 07:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Seems to me not many users make use of the chatroom...

which makes me sad...

more advertisment that it's around may help?
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote