Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Signature heights.. please vote
View Poll Results: What would you like to do about the signature heights? (Read post first)
Set the height to 100 pixels, show scrollbars for anything over that 3 27.27%
Leave signatures as they are (So can be any height) 1 9.09%
Disable images in sigs completely 0 0%
Set a maximum amount of characters allowed in a signature 1 9.09%
Deal with large sigs on a case-by-case basis 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Aun'O

Default Signature heights.. please vote

Hello,
Many people have reported that people's sigs have started to get too big (Height wise) Today I had to re-set someones sig, because it was larger than my screen (It was all I could see when viewing a post) This is annoying for many people. I've set this poll up to get people's comments about what method they'd like to see implemented to reduce the height of signatures.

[hr]

Please note: The poll has been locked, I think I have found a solution that will solve this problem. See here.

[hr]

Set the height to 100 pixels, show scrollbars for anything over that
I can change the forum's code so that all signatures is a certain amount of pixels tall, 100 in this case (Even if there's nothing in it, which is the downside of this) If the sig is over this amount, it will have scrollbars attached to it so you can scroll down to see the rest of the signature.

Leave signatures as they are (So can be any height)
Self-explanatory really. All the methods have downsides, and so you can vote for this if you want nothing to be done about the sig sizes.

Disable images in sigs completely
Also Self-explanatory. No images can be posted in sigs. This would speed up loading times quite a lot, and it's generally sigs with images that are the biggest.

Set a maximum amount of characters allowed in a signature
I'd hate this, so would many. This would mean that the BBC code behind your signature, and the text in your signature can only be a certain amount of characters. So for instance, say someones sig is:

Code:
All that'd be seen is:

Although it'd actually take up 94 characters. Seing as though the limit would probably be 500 characters, you couldn't put much into your signature. This also wouldn't solve the problem of posting large images.

Deal with large sigs on a case-by-case basis
If someones sigs is too big, and is annoying, the global mods and I will look at it, and maybe re-set it.

Is this it?
There is another option. You can disable viewing of people's sigs in your profile:
Profile >> Look and layout preferences >> Tick 'Don't show other users' signatures.'

This would solve the problem as well!
Please vote,
Tau Online
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Signature heights.. please vote

Ok how about a few suggestions, I am aware of how big 100 pixels are (my sig pic is 100 pixels high btw just for the people who don't know how big 100 pixels is on screen) so how about making it 150 and not 100?

As for removing the images completely, I find that would it would not solve the problem, because most of the images aren't really offending, but it's the text that pushes it over the limit.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:36   #3 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
Ok how about a few suggestions, I am aware of how big 100 pixels are (my sig pic is 100 pixels high btw just for the people who don't know how big 100 pixels is on screen) so how about making it 150 and not 100?

As for removing the images completely, I find that would it would not solve the problem, because most of the images aren't really offending, but it's the text that pushes it over the limit.
150 pixels is a lot of space for someone with nothing in their sigs.. how about 125 pixels? Seing as though the average sig banner is around 60 pixels in height, that'd be fine shouldn't it?
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Oh, i've just re-read your first post, I didn't quite understand it at first. So you can't get it to check to see how big the sig (or how many lines vertically it takes up), and then put scrollbars on? Or perhaps limiting the size of images in sigs to like 100 pixels vertically?
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Oh, i've just re-read your first post, I didn't quite understand it at first. So you can't get it to check to see how big the sig (or how many lines vertically it takes up), and then put scrollbars on? Or perhaps limiting the size of images in sigs to like 100 pixels vertically?
I'd love to do this, but can't. The CSS propety 'max-height' is the only thing that can do this, but it doesn't work in any browsers (It was introduced in CSS2) If this did work, this would be what I'd be doing, but it doesn't unfortunately..
Old 07 Jan 2005, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

+++Well, TO, your own sig is over a 125 pixel limit already, come to that it's over 150 pixels too. Personally I don't really have a problem with anyone's sig atm apart from Papa Smurf a.k.a. Tau Tau's one, couldn't this just be solved on a case-by-case basis, if someone's sig is overly intrusive or too big, they could be PMed about it and if they didn't respond it could be changed by you+++
Old 07 Jan 2005, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kill
+++Well, TO, your own sig is over a 125 pixel limit already, come to that it's over 150 pixels too. Personally I don't really have a problem with anyone's sig atm apart from Papa Smurf a.k.a. Tau Tau's one, couldn't this just be solved on a case-by-case basis, if someone's sig is overly intrusive or too big, they could be PMed about it and if they didn't respond it could be changed by you+++
That is a good idea. I have cleared Tau Tau's sig, it was over 700 pixels I believe. A case-by-case thing might be the best idea, I'll add it to the poll now..
Old 07 Jan 2005, 19:06   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Damned browser companies... Get your act together! Anyway, well how about checking to see if somebodies got more then say 4 lines in their sig and if they've got an img in there, it'll reduce the number of lines to 3 or something. I'll have a think about other ways to do this over the next few days.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 19:17   #9 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Damned browser companies... Get your act together! Anyway, well how about checking to see if somebodies got more then say 4 lines in their sig and if they've got an img in there, it'll reduce the number of lines to 3 or something. I'll have a think about other ways to do this over the next few days.
How'd you suggest checking for that?
Old 07 Jan 2005, 20:16   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, if it was JS and a text box, you use "\n" to write a new line in a text box and you can search for that or whatever the forum uses to mark new lines for sigs/posts. I'll probably be a ASCII code for new lines. I hope this helps at all.
Closed Thread