Warhammer 40K Forum

Search Function; Roller Coaster
Closed Thread
Old 21 Sep 2006, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Search Function; Roller Coaster

Heya,

The search function seems to be a real roller coaster lately.
It's up, then down, up and then down.

:-\
Old 21 Sep 2006, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Aun'O

Default Re: Search Function; Roller Coaster

Heya,
Unfortunately I think that doing that helps to prevent the database crashing sometimes... if it's really bad I can reverse the server load thing I guess. How often is it up and how often is it down?
Thanks,
Tau Online
Old 21 Sep 2006, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online
Heya,
Unfortunately I think that doing that helps to prevent the database crashing sometimes... if it's really bad I can reverse the server load thing I guess. How often is it up and how often is it down?
Thanks,
Tau Online
So it's a setting then?

It was happening for over half an hour earlier.
Right now, it functions. But it's often that it's down.
I've seen it pretty often for a while now. Maybe I use search too much.
It's not a terrible thing, but you know, without search we cannot search :P

If I'm the only one with a complaint on it though, I wouldn't warrant it as worthy of a change.

Cheers!
Old 21 Sep 2006, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Aun'O

Yeah - if the server load (i.e. stress on the server) is too high then certain parts of the forums will automatically be disabled as to not increase the load. However seing as though we're on a shard server (i.e. with other people) chances are the load is high due to what other people are doing. I'm going to disable the server-load check and see how things get on.

And yeah I agree that without search it gets hard to search... :P

EDIT: I think I've disabled the option.. could you reply back if you see the server load screen again?
Old 21 Sep 2006, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online
EDIT: I think I've disabled the option.. could you reply back if you see the server load screen again?
I'll keep a track of it each time it pops up.

Cheers!
Old 22 Sep 2006, 18:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Bear in mind we cannot complain that people have not seached for a topic if we won't let them.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heya,

Search doesn't seem to dig up threads for me anymore. I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. But this has come up a few times now, where I look for old information, cannot find it with search, but if I browse endlessly, I eventually find it and wonder why Search couldn't tag it.

Example, I search the Necron forum for the words "deep strike," and specially look for posts my say, myself for example. I've written the word deep strike many times in the board; yet it finds zero threads, or often times, just one thread. Another example, if I search the Necron board for "Oblits" via posts by my user name, it comes up with nothing. Yet, I can point to the thread where I wrote it several times. It simply does not show up.

This happens on every board. I've tried to make it more specific. Even searched exactly sentences that I copy & pasted with quotations from a thread, and it still fails to find it.

-- Specifically, try to use search, in various ways, to find this thread and in particular, my post there. I've not been able to have it come up, with multiple search methods at all.

I'm at a loss, as to why?

???
Old 30 Sep 2006, 10:29   #8 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Heya,

Search doesn't seem to dig up threads for me anymore. I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. But this has come up a few times now, where I look for old information, cannot find it with search, but if I browse endlessly, I eventually find it and wonder why Search couldn't tag it.

Example, I search the Necron forum for the words "deep strike," and specially look for posts my say, myself for example. I've written the word deep strike many times in the board; yet it finds zero threads, or often times, just one thread. Another example, if I search the Necron board for "Oblits" via posts by my user name, it comes up with nothing. Yet, I can point to the thread where I wrote it several times. It simply does not show up.

This happens on every board. I've tried to make it more specific. Even searched exactly sentences that I copy & pasted with quotations from a thread, and it still fails to find it.

-- Specifically, try to use search, in various ways, to find this thread and in particular, my post there. I've not been able to have it come up, with multiple search methods at all.

I'm at a loss, as to why?

???
Yeah I've noticed this as well. Recently the way the search function searches was changed, so I guess this is what's causing it. However that change was made because the forums showing that "database connection error" screen was due to this searching method. I've asked at the SMF support forums to see if they can offer any advice. If nothing else I can always switch back the searching method, although if the forums start crashing again I'm not sure what could be done.
I'll reply back here when I have a response,
Tau Online
Old 30 Sep 2006, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

Mayhap they changed it so that it only searches topics? Because when I use the search function I wold get a ton of posts that didn't really have anything to do with what I was looking for, but they just happened to have the phrase that I had plugged in. I'm decent with search functions, so I'll toy around with it later to see if I can figure out what's up. My first guess would be that whenever they reprogrammed it they did something silly/stupid with modifier coding, but that's just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Closed Thread