Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Army Balance thread
Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The Army Balance thread

Can someone please tell me why this was locked? As far as I can tell it wasn't descending into a flame war, new points were being made and discussed, and contrary to what some claimed the thread had not reached the point where the argument was circular (and when threads reach that point, they die of their own accord anyway). It seems to me like a perfectly good thread was locked because someone didn't like it anymore, rather than because it was contravening the rules.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:50   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The Army Balance thread

To be honest, it wasn't me, and I know what you mean. I'll just unlock it now.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Much obliged. *doffs hat*

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well to be honest, it was one of the most popular threads and also promoted the most discussion which is not always a bad thing, plus it was fairly interesting too although some people (no offense intended) got a bit carried away.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's the nature of the beast. Like politics and religion, discussions on cheese/powergaming is usually going to bring out more heated arguments than other topics, it's just one of those contentious issues in the game. Fine if the flames can be kept down, which has for the most part been the case as mods have stepped in as and when they had to (except for the locking bit... ).

Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:35   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, that topic is one of the most interesting and is one of the best discussions we've had so far.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its all good fun.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Now it's been locked again for no good reason.

Reasons given:

Quote:
But this topic needed to stop when it shifted from what is balanced? To what is not cheese?
The two are inherently linked, because a balanced army is one without any cheese. You can't discuss what is balanced without discussing what is not cheese. Trying to do so would be trying to have half a discussion.

Quote:
Any way every possible point on both cheese and balance has been made
Every possible point? I think you'd find that hard to prove. For all you know someone could have a new point right now. Moreover, there were new points brought up in posts right before you locked it!!

LordAbsol, At the very least you could have said "Please change the direction of debate into how to make a balanced list or I'll have to lock it." If you don't like the topic then that's fine, that's no cause to arbitrarily lock it. I assume it was you who locked it last time as well. I was strongly tempted to unlock it myself, seeing as topic authors can do that, but I'm not willing to blatantly defy the staff here.

EDIT: Ah, to hell with it. I'm over it now. I defer to LordAbsol's judgement. I'll find another contentious topic to post about instead.

Old 21 Nov 2004, 07:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

good boy
Old 23 Nov 2004, 01:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dark flame Send a message via MSN to dark flame

Wow, Lom, that's a lot more restrained than you usually are... :P
Anyway, I would like to see the topic back, as it wasn't bad, and I want to add my two cents (Canadian).
Closed Thread