Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online Newsletter
Closed Thread
Old 02 Nov 2004, 02:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to BlackLotusElite
Default Tau Online Newsletter

Alright lets get some input.

Should it be Monthly, Weekly, Bi-Weekly?

What would you like to see in it?

What sort of layout should it have and what colors would you find eye pleasing for it?

Attatched is a little something I made up that could be part of a larger newsletter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Old 02 Nov 2004, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Tau Online Newsletter

Pretty good idea, Bi-weekly possibly.
I'd like to see a list of updates and new articles on the site etc.. and also maybe some important annoncements from the forum and then maybe some links to interesting new threads here.
As for the layout, a bit of graphics to make it look nice but not too much that it'll take ages to load :P
Old 02 Nov 2004, 07:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Commissar Elvis Send a message via MSN to Commissar Elvis

Great looking sample, BLE. And I definitely think it should be either bi-weekly or monthly. Having to work on a weekly newsletter when, I assume, most of us have full-time jobs (at least I do, and it kicks my ass) would be tough, and having to fill a newsletter each week would make a lot of the content seem "forced", in my opinion.

While it appears the art and coding departments are handled, I can handle myself well enough in Photoshop. Beyond that, I am a spelling and grammar Nazi so I'm sure I would excel as a proofreader. I'm a decent writer as well, so once I get more familiar with my army, get a solid copy of the Tau codex and so on, I may be able to whip some fluff, perhaps even have a short story in each issue or something if I develop a decent character(s). Definitely a painting segment each week, perhaps a terrain and/or conversion segment, maybe some GW News as well as TO News. Each story should be heavily linked, with references to other pages, articles, etc. all hyperlinked to their respective sources.

I've got a lot of enthusiasm for this project and I think it'll serve all of us, and the community in general, rather well.

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, cross the Kosmos, 'ere we go, 'ere we go, throo infinity.
Don't know where we're goin' til we get there. 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!
Old 02 Nov 2004, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

That looks awsome.

BTW there is much talk about this becoming an official TO thing. I'll keep you informed, if your not already being kept that way.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 02 Nov 2004, 15:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
That looks awsome.

BTW there is much talk about this becoming an official TO thing.* I'll keep you informed, if your not already being kept that way.
+++Yep, Black Lotus, Commissar Elvis and myself have all volunteered to help. If anyone else wants to, this is the place to say so. This is how I think it should be ideally:

For the points Commissar Elvis raised, I agree that it should be either Bi-weekly or monthly. It really depends on exactly how much people think should be included each issue, if it only has to be a small amount then Bi-weekly is OK, but personally I think it might be better to do a longer letter every month.

What I'd like to see: mainly stuff to do with TO, but it could be good to also include a bit about other GW stuff - reviews of new stuff for instance.

Layout, design and colours - what you've done already looks good to me.

As for how I can contribute, I know guite a lot of fluff, consider myself to be a decent writer, and I'm good with grammar and spelling. I'm also an O.K. artist although I'd need to get a scanner to scan any of my work in. I'm quite good at making slightly insane conversions, and I'll be getting a digital camera soon.

Another suggestion: maybe people could submit articles via PM to either BLE, CE, TO or me on a one-off basis, to add some extra content to the newsletter.
Old 02 Nov 2004, 18:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to BlackLotusElite

the example is a screen shot the coding is in html and it looks great on email and does have hyperlinks
Old 02 Nov 2004, 18:49   #7 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLotusElite
the example is a screen shot the coding is in html and it looks great on email and does have hyperlinks
Cool That is a great layout. Also check your PMs
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll pitch in some `Ork News' stuff. Should be able to come up with a submission by this coming weekend!!

Best,
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I agree that it would be prefferable to have an Issue every month. This should mean finding content isn't much of an issue, and will give the writer and editors longer to perfect it.
I do think it's a really great idea, and I'd love to help (especially on any Eldar stuff!), just tell me what needs doing.
I think I'd make a pretty good editor too, as I am pretty picky when it comes to spelling and grammar.*
I realy liked that screenshot too.
Please PM me too if there's any information I would need in it.

*other peoples ;D
Old 10 Nov 2004, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
Aun'O

IVEATCH, Rezzy, Thanks for the offer, although at the moment we already have 6 members working on the newsletter, which is probably more than enough for a newsletter. If the situation changes though, I'll contact you to.
Thanks for the offers,
Tau Online
Closed Thread