Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

List building Tactics My Army List - why I take the Units I do - Tau 1750 poins
Old 11 Sep 2009, 06:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default List building Tactics My Army List - why I take the Units I do - Tau 1750 poins

I know it can be difficult to play Tau but I hope I can give those new to Tau a few hints on how I play my list. This is something like a Tactica but for one complete army list. I chose these select units because they work well with each other. None of these units are real powerhouse unit but they work well together.

I have seen so many Need Help lists out there and so much advice given and believe me I want to post on everyone’s list and help out as well but I really don’t have the time.

I have played almost every type of Tau list out there. I have seen a lot of good advice but I like to see if I can help out a few players as well.

I might make this a work in progress.

This list is pretty much my current list. I am trying out the Ion Cannon and it seems to be working for now at this point level. I also have the mind set that every unit is disposable

1750 Pts - Tau Empire Mech/Hybrid

HQ: Commander Shas'el (100 pts)
1 Commander Shas'el @ 100 pts (Cyclic Ion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; )

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (122 pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ 122 pts (Team Leader; Crisis Battlesuit; Bonding Knife; Burst Cannon; Missile Pod; Multi-Tracker)
1 Crisis Battlesuit ( Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

Elite: Stealthsuits ( 220 pts)
5 Stealthsuits @ 220 pts (Add Team Leader; Burst Cannon x4)
1 Team Leader (Bonding Knife; Burst Cannon; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Markerlight; Marker Drone)
1 Marker Drone (Networked Markerlight)

Troops Unit 1: 12 Fire Warrior ( 220 pts)
11 Fire Warriors @ 220 pts (Add Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle)
1 Devilfish (Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear)
1 Shas'ui (Bonding Knife; Pulse Rifle)

Troops Unit 2: 12 Fire Warrior ( 220 pts)

Troops Unit 3: 9 Fire Warriors (105 pts)
8 Fire Warriors ( Add Shas’ui Bonding Knife)
1 Shas’ui Pulse Rifle, bonding.

TroopsUnit 4: Kroot Carnivore Squad (96 pts)
12 Kroot Carnivore Squad ( Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle x10)
2 Kroot Hounds

Fast Attack: Pathfinder ( 207 pts)
6 Pathfinder @ 207 pts (Add Shas'ui; Markerlights x6)
1 Shas'ui (Markerlight; Pulse Carbine)
1 Devilfish (Burst Cannon; Smart Missile System; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array)

Fast Attack: Gun Drones (60 pts)
5 Gun Drone Squadron

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship ( 165 pts)
1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 165 pts (Railgun; Burst Cannons; Targeting Array; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship ( 130 pts)
1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 130 pts (Ion Cannon; Burst Cannons; Targeting Array; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker)

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit ( 105 pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit (Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilization System; Bonding)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

Details

1 Commander Shas'el @ 100 pts (Cyclic Ion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Targeting Array )

I like to think of my Commanders only as a support weapons platforms. He Deep Strikes and I can chose what weapons I want on him. I will take two commanders depending on my Heavy Supports and Troops and higher points. HQ s no longer have IC status so they don’t really work as well as they used to (thanks 5th ed.) I keep my Commander cheap, on this list.

Here my HQ is a Medium to light armor troop killer. I use him as a 12 to 18” away on average because of his weapons range. I plan to deep strike him if my opponent is going to have troops hiding in deployment zone or near an objective I need to contest or control. If I do Deep Strike him I will also drop my Stealth Suits near him or inflitrate some kroot with him as well. This HQ does not work alone, but I tend to have one to two units supporting/working with him.

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (122 pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit @ 122 pts (Team Leader; Crisis Battlesuit; Bonding Knife; Burst Cannon; Missile Pod; Multi-Tracker)
1 Crisis Battlesuit ( Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

This unit is Anti-Light Armor. I will make it look like I am going to take on troops with this unit but they are Light and Rear Armor killers. If there is no light armor to kill they will take on Medium Armor or MEQs at long range. This unit again is two models for a two main reasons. One, it is cheaper unit should it need to Die for the Greater Good and two it is easier to hide on the board. I feel the unit is also less threatening, when I do throw out a three suit team, the opponent does tends to go after them more.

Another thing to remember about this unit is the speed. These suits work well to back up your HQ. I find that two unit usually are not enough, you really need three units. If I throw the Kroot out in a flank, I will drop either the HQ near them and these suits as well. Plus depending on my opponents deployment, I may also throw out the Stealth Suits as well.

The cool thing about these suits is their fire power and their speed. I have used these guys many a time to pull extra units away or delay them while the bulk of my forces pound away at more dangerous units.

Elite: Stealthsuits ( 220 pts)
5 Stealthsuits @ 220 pts (Add Team Leader; Burst Cannon x4)
1 Team Leader (Bonding Knife; Burst Cannon; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Markerlight; Marker Drone)
1 Marker Drone (Networked Markerlight)

This is one unit I do want/need Markerlight support. I threw in a Marker Drone this time around and does work. Two drones would make this unit over priced. These goes with my idea of quantity over quality. Shield drones do work as well. A little advice here is match up the gear with what you want them to do. If you want to drop them behind enemy lines without ML support, try a Marker Drone. I have this unit set up with one Marker Drone for that same reason. These are going to get either Deep Struck or Out Flanked so they will be quite far from ML support so they needed a little help.

If you are going to keep them as close support, no Marker Drone is needed since they will most likely get ML support so get them either a Shield Drone or two and drop to 5 suits. You may not have much cover with the bulk of your forces there so 5 Stealth suits work well here.

Be very aware this is an expensive unit. It does have the potential to do lots of damage but they don’t really hold up well against enemy fire, these are T3 so regular bolters hurt. Hell even Lasguns wound on a 4+. So pick you targets well and make sure you have other support units before you. If these guys do a Deep strike, I will have Kroot and Crisis suits on stand-by. Lately, the Stealth suits will drop near my Kroot. The Stealths are going to do the damage the Kroot are just there to provide a getaway for them. I will also have the suits near by since their weapons can cover a larger area.

What I am doing is creating a new Beach Head with these units. First, the kroot and then I send in the Crisis suits. Now if it looks like I need more power in the area, the Stealth Suits Deep Strike there along with the HQ. Now I have a new Front while the bulk of my force is on the other side of the board. Now if it looks like I am taking that side of the board, I can send in more troops or some Railgun or Ion Cannon fire in there as well.

Now if I get over powered in that side, or I now want to retreat. These fast units can Move, Run and Assault Move out of there while shooting, leave enemy forces split up.

Troops
Troops Unit 3: 9 Fire Warriors (105 pts)
8 Fire Warriors ( Add Shas’ui Bonding Knife)
1 Shas’ui Pulse Rifle, bonding.

This is basically my Static Fire base. From here I will decide what flank I am going to make my weak flank and which is my strong side. This unit is great with 30” I shoot half way down the board. I can use these guys in terrain to really hold an area. Or set them up in a fake flank. I do this all the time so my opponent thinks this is a real flank and use my skimmer mounted troops to go where I really want next turn. They die horribly but they just split my opponent forces and they bought me a turn or two of shooting my opponent. This units is a smaller unit, large enough to hold an object but small enough to allow me "dispose" of this unit if need be.

*** This is turning out to be longer than expected so if people tend to like this, I’ll finish this off. ***

edit *** corrected some typos
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:57   #2 (permalink)
DNA
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: My Army List and why I take the Units I do - Tau 1750 poins

Well, I've registered to reply and say: Please do finish it!

I'm returning to 40k from an 8 yr sabbatical and I've never played any games, let alone with Tau! (I'm more enjoying the painting side)

So far I have the battle force box, 2 Hammer heads and a sniper drone team so it's always good to read more about how people use their units and how they equip them to do what they want!
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2009, 14:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Overall it's a nice list. I would suggest the following modification though. Nothing major, just a few things that might help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau

1 Commander Shas'el @ 100 pts (Cyclic Ion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; )
Not legal. You are missing 1 weapon/support system. Could be easily countered, by making your multitracker a regular one rather then a hard-wired one.

Quote:
2 Kroot Hounds
Need more hounds, under 6 it's not worth taking IMO. 8-12 is the best spot though.

Quote:
1 Devilfish (Burst Cannon; Smart Missile System; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array)
If you are to upgrade one to Shas'ui, I strongly recommand a bonding knife, a hard-wired multitracker and hard-wired targetlock to ba able to paint 2 seperate enemy unit with your markerlight.

Your devilfish would also benefit from a multitracker.

Quote:
1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 165 pts (Railgun; Burst Cannons; Targeting Array; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker)

1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 130 pts (Ion Cannon; Burst Cannons; Targeting Array; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker)
With Burst cannon, I would give them a target lock for the potential of attacking 3 seperate targets.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Overall it's a nice list. I would suggest the following modification though. Nothing major, just a few things that might help you.

Quote:

Not legal. You are missing 1 weapon/support system. Could be easily countered, by making your multitracker a regular one rather then a hard-wired one.

Yeah, it is, the points are right, the first list is missing my TA, but the second has it. Sorry guys, Good Catch bro.
Quote:
2 Kroot Hounds
Need more hounds, under 6 it's not worth taking IMO. 8-12 is the best spot though.

Not really but I will explain when I get to Kroot, but thanks for mentioning it. I will address this.

Quote:
If you are to upgrade one to Shas'ui, I strongly recommand a bonding knife, a hard-wired multitracker and hard-wired targetlock to ba able to paint 2 seperate enemy unit with your markerlight.

I did pay for it, I just forgot to put it on there. Thanks again.
Your devilfish would also benefit from a multitracker.

It is on there, again my mistake, when transfering it.

Quote:

With Burst cannon, I would give them a target lock for the potential of attacking 3 seperate targets.

I will address these.
I will be addressing these things later tonight but most of those are just typos, my mistake when I moved it over to Word. Thanks for the comments, I will be sure to comment on those things in my army list stuff.
WT
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Sep 2009, 06:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Troops Unit 2: 12 Fire Warrior ( 220 pts)

I have two of these units. While 5th ed killed my Warfish, I now use these units to take objectives. These fish are stripped because I need the points for other units. Another thing is I want more bang for my buck, so there are no extras here. They don't even have Multi-Track. I use these units to take objectives and do blah blah blah. I think most people know how to use them normally. They drop troops and bring troops.

But I also use them as mobile bunkers and to block routes of travel. I try to use them to create and block lines of fire. So if you going to get immobilized make sure you go down somewhere you want it to go down. Make your opponent have to Destroy it.

Another thing about these ships is the ability to move your battle lines. I use my Anchor unit as the middle and tend to put one ship on either side of my Anchor unit.

I know I will dropping my troops around turn 2 or 3 so I plan for that. I will then place these two Fish on my right with the intention of going left. I will also use my Crisis to make it look that that as well. My Crisis both have 36” weapons so they can continue to shoot and move. It works. I can also lose one fish and still have one more as back up.

I don’t put any points in the weapons because my fish tend to be moving so I would hardly get to fire. Why spend points on something you might use once or twice. So I drop my drones and make them like mobile cover and use them to tie up my enemy. They can also join up with my Drone Squadron as well. Cheap and Efficient.

Troops

12 Kroot Carnivore Squad ( Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle x12)
2 Kroot Hounds

Again a cheap unit, large enough to hold an objective but small enough to not attract too much attention.

This is can be my second fire base but I tend to Infiltrate them. Again 5th ed nerfed this unit. The use of grenades to negate the bonus given to units in cover really sucked. So I tend to use these guys to hold a flank or to make a fake/weak flank. I don’t use these to attack unless the odds are in my favor. These guys also have a pretty decent weapon. At 24” these guys are shooting more often than they should.

As for the Kroot hounds, I know I only have two in there but they are only for extra wounds. They are okay when I attack or get attacked but this unit in not for that. I avoid Close Combat with these guys but try to get them shooting all the time. I am thinking of getting one or two more Kroot hounds in there. I hate to beef it up because then it does become more of a priority target.

If I want to hold an objective or make a run for one, I will use these guys. They are my bait and anchor. It just depends on which way I want them to go. I will back them up with Stealth Suits and Crisis suits as well. And if something happens and I need to beef up this side of the board, I can easily send in a fish or two back them up. And if they get over run, it’s a small price to pay for the Greater Good.

I really like this unit, at 96 points I get 14 models, not bad.

I hope this give you an insight on my list. I guess I will add more soon. Please ask any questions as I do enjoy talking about this list.

WT
Old 14 Sep 2009, 06:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have been using this unit for quite some time and it is a great unit. I tend to keep this unit close to my main firebase (9 Firewarriors) I do use the Warfish as a distraction, players do tend to get mad when a ship with 7 STR 5 shots starts unloading on them. Just make sure you no longer need the Marker Beacon to help out with your Deep Strikers. If I don't, I send it out to slow or harass my opponent. I will have my Markerlights defending a must have Objective marker or targeting a must kill unit.

The Marker lights are very expensive unit so I don't add a target lock or other extras because I am looking at the end game not the beginning or at mathhammer numbers. Remember your opponent is looking for expensive dangerous units as well. I don't put all my hope on one unit.

A Good commander looks at his army as whole not individual units.

Don't expect 100% Markerlight support, I have said this before but don't rely on these guys. Once they are down, most likely I will not move them. If I have to move them it means one turn of lost shooting so I rather not. Two, I expect only 2 to 3 turns of shooting from these guys. This is because of the constantly changing battle lines. I tend to want more guns on the board, so more units means more guns.

Fast Attack: Gun Drones (60 pts)
5 Gun Drone Squadron

This unit is just a decoy unit. I tend to use them as a speed bump to slow down attackers and to give a cheap cover save to a unit.

The other thing is this unit can do well is it can be Deep Striked and can contest sides, objectives or it can join my other Gun Drones and become a fairly big unit with 9 drones. I have also used these guys on rear armor as well. It has great movement at a maximum of 18”.

The problem I have with these guys is they don’t do enough damage, but again if I up the number of drones, they tend move up on my opponents must kill list. 4 Gun drones are usually not enough but 5 are enough for my needs. Plus my other ships drop drones and they can add to this unit as well.

If I do drop this unit for points, I will beef up a couple of things. I will add more Kroot or a cheap battle suit. I do think I will be dropping one drone here soon for 2 more Kroot hounds. I think I need two more cheap wounds on this unit, so looks like it might work. The thing is I have not gone against a heavy vehicle army yet. The other option here is dropping this unit and finding more points somewhere for 10 more Kroot. The ability to infiltrate in this edition has really made a difference.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most important selection Heavy Support:

I went with a stripped down Railhead because of the number of units I am currently running. While I do miss the ability to target two different units (Target Lock), I feel the Railgun is more important. I don't play with units right up my opponents face. I tend to sit back and shoot for 2 to 3 turns. Now if things are going my way, I do move up my Hammerhead, while I do regret not taking an SMS sometimes, I rather have more damage output during the early part of the game. I stopped taking maxed out Hammerheads because if they were taken out early turn 1 or 2, it was a hard blow to my list. Stripped down units allow me to take more units to better absorb unit losses.

Ionhead- I am seeing a lot of 3+ armies lately and this seems to be working very well. And this does very well against light armor as well. So while my Railhead and Broadside hit the Tanks, this Ionhead is hitting light armor, bikes, or fast moving Elites or Fast Attack stuff. I am not sure if I am going to keep this Ionhead in here. I may upgrade this to a Railhead as well, since I think I need one more Heavy Tank killer. Or I may split up my Crisis suits and give one a Fusion Blaster/Plasma and make it a tank killer as well. I need to play a few more games with this list and more games of 5th ed as well.

You have to remember that with the nerfs from 5th ed. you are not going to be shooting your defensive weapons very much. Plus all Close Combat hits go against rear armor. Why would you want to risk that?? Those of you new to Tau are going to want to stay back as much as possible until you are ready to set up your Hammerhead to your liking.

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit ( 105 pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit (Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilization System; Bonding)
1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

This is a cheap unit as well, it is not as tempting a target as my Hammerheads but it is a great Tank Killer. Use this with Marker Lights and it is almost garunteed to get Smoked! This guy is cheap.

*** My tactics on how I will play my army ***
This is quantity over quality. I have 79 models in my army list, and 4 Troop units. If you look at my list, it also does not work well with those you that believe in Mathhammer. This is built out of experience and how I pay my list. I will give a bit of insight on how I play my army and the list.

I classify everything as Aggressive, Passive, and Reactive.

Aggressive is very active, and forces you to react to their actions, These tend to be Assault or shooting based armies. These tend to hit you with multiple units and High Cost/High Damage Units.

Passive is more a player or who waits for the game to come to him. He reacts to your actions.

Reactive players and armies are more difficult to handle as they tend start passive and then change to Aggressive style. I feel my list is Reactive as I have units that can be played both aggressively or Passively. I also classify myself as a reactive player as I wait to see what my opponent does and change accordingly.

I look at player's Armies and their Army Lists and I decide how they are going to play. I will then have to set up and deploy my units either aggressively or passively. If I play an Aggressive army list, I will use my smaller decoy units to slow him down or I will set up a weak flank to split his units so they are easier to handle.

I classify weapons setups the same way, some weapons require that I play them aggressively while others allow me to sit back and shoot. My army list is designed with my play style in mind.

A question you can ask yourself, can I play my army list with one missing unit? Is that unit so special that if it is lost, you can't or would have a hard time recovering from it's loss. The answer should be no. I have gone on to win games to later realize I forgot to deep strike a unit.

Mathhammer Just don't do it. Just realize that Mathhammer does not take into account the turns or distances and most importantly, play styles. Fusion Blasters are great at killing Terminators but the problem there is getting close to them. Mathhammer is good at what the ability of that weapon is but it can't tell you where to deploy it and when to use it.

I hope this helps those of you that read this. I really wanted this in the regular Tau section but it was moved to the Army list section. It is a lot longer than I expected but shorter than it should be.

WT
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:19   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:

I have two of these units. While 5th ed killed my Warfish, I now use these units to take objectives. These fish are stripped because I need the points for other units. Another thing is I want more bang for my buck, so there are no extras here. They don't even have Multi-Track. I use these units to take objectives and do blah blah blah. I think most people know how to use them normally. They drop troops and bring troops.

I don’t put any points in the weapons because my fish tend to be moving so I would hardly get to fire. Why spend points on something you might use once or twice. So I drop my drones and make them like mobile cover and use them to tie up my enemy. They can also join up with my Drone Squadron as well. Cheap and Efficient.
A multi-tracker actually solves the second problem. For 10 points you can fire those 5 shots when moving at your max speed. It may be a bit more expensive, but it can always be shooting which I definitely think is worth it.

Quote:
Mathhammer Just don't do it. Just realize that Mathhammer does not take into account the turns or distances and most importantly, play styles. Fusion Blasters are great at killing Terminators but the problem there is getting close to them. Mathhammer is good at what the ability of that weapon is but it can't tell you where to deploy it and when to use it.
I definitely agree on your limitations of mathhammer, though I strongly disagree on your conclusion about it.
Mathhammer do it! Just realize that Mathhammer does not take into account the turns or distances and most importantly, play styles. It is very important part of comparisons of units e.g. Fusion blasters are good at killing terminators, a CIB is better, plus they have a longer range, though you can only have 1. I definitely think you should reconsider the worth, and role of mathhammer.

Good work on your tacitca btw.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 05:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks, it took few days to work on it. I really wanted to put more but this was based on my current list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshau-k
Quote:

A multi-tracker actually solves the second problem. For 10 points you can fire those 5 shots when moving at your max speed. It may be a bit more expensive, but it can always be shooting which I definitely think is worth it.

Burst Cannon is 3 shots not 5, so I don't pay for MT on it. Plus, because of my tactics I need to move my Fish long distances so why even pay for it. I think those 10 point are better spent on a Fire Warrior. That is what Mathhammer can't do, is decide which weapon or Fire Warrior is better used. My list is designed to go with how I play my list, which is why they are stripped down. I feel alot of people don't do that, they see a good list and they play it. They just need to change it to match their play style.

Quote:
I definitely agree on your limitations of mathhammer, though I strongly disagree on your conclusion about it.
Mathhammer do it! Just realize that Mathhammer does not take into account the turns or distances and most importantly, play styles. It is very important part of comparisons of units e.g. Fusion blasters are good at killing terminators, a CIB is better, plus they have a longer range, though you can only have 1. I definitely think you should reconsider the worth, and role of mathhammer.

I have been playing long before mathhammer was a coined term. I will agree with you my limitations of mathhammer are limited but I select units and weapon on what they do for my list not what they do on paper.
Good work on your tacitca btw.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:25   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Your drones can fire if you can shoot at least 1 other weapon, therefore 5 shots when moving 12". Of course 2 extra shots isn't going to warrant a change in strategy.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote