Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ninjas of tau
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis
Default ninjas of tau

-Hq-
shas'o(plasma,missles,hw multi-tracker,iridum armor,stimulant injector,2x shield drones,positional)

-elites-
3xcrisis(plasma,multi-tracker,burst)
3xcrisis(plasma,multi-tracker,burst)

-troops-
12xfirewarriors and (fish with dpods,)
12xfirewarriors and (fish with dpods,)
12 kroot 8x hounds
12x kroot 8x hounds

-fast-
8x pathfinder

1xdevilfish(d-pods)

-fast-
heavy
1xrail(d-pods, burst,targeting,multi-tracker,targeting,)

3xbroad side(advance stabilizers, 2x shield drones)

ionhead(d-pods, burst,targeting,multi-tracker,targeting,)

this is my ninja list
don't know how much kroot i should take or if i should take and how many i should take

i welcome all constructive criticism
cause it helps me
Old 26 Jun 2009, 23:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: ninjas of tau

First of all, please fix your post generally so it looks clean and so forth. Here comes the criticism.

HQ is good but at 2k I would consider a Deathrain Bodyguard.

For your Crisis, I find Twin-Linked Missiles in combination with Flamers to be very cost effective. Those plasma shots are expensive and at BS3 you will be missing more often than not. Also, even if you you deviate greatly from the marked striking position your Missiles or flamers will tend be in effective range of something. With your variation you are only effective up to 24" (arguably since you will be missing most shots at 24") This means that you will be most effective within 18" or 12" leaving you prone to close combat which leads to moral checks which inevitably leads to fleeing and a respective loss of 174 points that most likely did not kill as much as they cost.

Following that line of argument, you could give the your fishes some mean benefits with the points you save. For example a Multi-Tracker, Targeting Array and SMS system would greatly enhance the effectiveness of your units. Also, note that the Devilfish (with the beacon) from the pathfinders can be used for the Fire Warriors which would leave the pathfinders to be a static element which is usually how they are used. This would give you a great FoF style attack with Deep-Strike support abilities. This way your Crisis can Deep Strike safely and use flamers to great effect.

For your heavies consider the multi-tracker. It should be present on all Tau vehicles like the DP. The ability to move 12" and still fire the solid shot can make the difference between a 4+ cover save or a potential assault in the enemies next movement phase. It brings the total of your Railhead to 170 which is my favorite Railhead to field. If the multi, you refer to is in fact the multi-tracker then I advise getting a target lock (again please clean up and clarify your list). Nothing says 'Yeah, I can do that!' like Burst Cannons shooting at Imperial Guardsmen and the Railgun taking out a Leman Russ in one turn. For 5 points its always worth it. Think of how many Guardsmen you could kill and how much they cost in respect to 5 points. The Burst Cannon shots tend to be useless against any armor you are using the Railgun against (due to range + armor). This of course isn't the case if you are using the submunition in which case use the sub-munition first followed by the burst cannons obviously.

For your Ionhead, you don't 'need' the multi-tracker but I do advise the SMS since it most likely will support the Ion Cannon effectively (effective against the same sort of enemies).

Your three Broadsides are expensive. Once you lose two shield drones you will need to take a moral check. If you fail it, no bonding and two D6 back to your own edge. They don't move far, even with the A.S.S. so that could mean a wasted 298 points. Give the team leader a knife or it's the same story as with your Crisis.

As for the Kroot, they are fine the way they are. If you have extra points or need some points I would add/take away hounds as needed. I tend to leave my two Kroot squads at 12K6H until it comes time to fill up the rest of the list. However, every Ninja list should have Kroot. They are amazing and most enemies don't expect them or drastically underestimate their effectiveness at 20 flanking models. They have more than made up for their low point cost time and time again especially in Capture and Control with flanked points. They also work well as infiltrators to move the focus away from 300 pointers (such as your broadsides). At 20 models in a forest with a cover save of 3+ (2+ if you lie down) and a strategic point they will eat a lot of fire before they die. If they are assaulted the enemy has to deal with the consequences.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

one question with with smart missile system. does it count as 2 weapons or just 1
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis
one question with with smart missile system. does it count as 2 weapons or just 1
The two weapons on the model count as one system. Therefore you get 4 shots.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 28 Jun 2009, 08:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i have been itching to try this but if i add vespids into the build and use death rains to flame bad guys then hit them with glass guns of vespids
Old 28 Jun 2009, 10:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis
i have been itching to try this but if i add vespids into the build and use death rains to flame bad guys then hit them with glass guns of vespids
I don't understand anything you just said. Is that a question or something? I find it to be common courtesy to at least punctuate your posts.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 28 Jun 2009, 11:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i just want to use vespids in my build
Old 29 Jun 2009, 03:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth

You can go for it. The problem is Vespids tend to be fairly focused into one role; killing Meqs. They also tend to die quick with their 5+ Armor. The trick is to make sure nothing can kill them after they've done their job. So when you deep strike them in, which is what I assume you would want to do since you're a Ninja build, make sure their target is a squad outside of the support range of another squad that can rip 5+ armor. Or make sure they could get a cover save somehow from the enemy.

So if you know you're gonna play a Marine-Equivalent Army, go for it. That's all the vespid are really good for. A horde list would mean you wouldn't get the most bang for your buck with the bugs.

You can probably trade out the Ionhead for the Vespids for that Meq killing punch.