Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pts, advice needed
Old 18 Apr 2009, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1500pts, advice needed

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1: Total: 325
Shas'O - Bonding knife, HW BS Filter, HW Drone Controller, HW Multi, Missle Pod, Plasma Rifle, Shield Gen.

2 Body Guards, HW BS Filter, HW Multi, Missle, Plasma, Targeting Array
+Shield Drone
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Elite 1:
Crisis Suit - Team Leader, HWBSFilter, TL Misslepod, Shield Gen Total:71
[size=7pt] Light vehicle hunter [/size]

Elite 2:
Crisis Suit - Team Leader, HW BS Filter, Twin Fusion, Shield GenTotal:71
[size=7pt] Deep strike tank hunter [/size]

Elite 3:
Stealthsuitsx3 - 2xburst cannons 1x Fusion, drone controller, bs filter, target lock + Marker Light Drone Total: 130
[size=7pt] the target lock is on the 1 with fusion blaster, if in range to hit vehicles[/size]

[hr]

Troop 1:
Fire Warriors x 12 Pusle Rifles
- DevilFish - Dis. Pod, Multi Track, Targ Array, 2 drones Total:220
[size=7pt] [/size]

Troop 2:
Firewarriors x 10, pusle rifles Total:100
[size=7pt] Support fire at range to let Fish taxi troops around as needed[/size]

[hr]

Fast Attack 1:
Gun Drone Squad x 6 Total: 72
[size=7pt] I needed points, had 6 drones left over. Possible deepstrike with crisis suits for added support/firepower or harassing enemies [/size]

[hr]

Heavy Support 1:
Sniper Drone Team x 3 drones, 1 spotter Total:80
[size=7pt] stationary defensive unit, marine equiv. killers [/size]

Heavy Support 2:
Broadsides x 3 - 1 team leader, Bonding knife, A.S.S x 3 Total: 250
[size=7pt] Tank hunters, A.S.S. incase they need to reposition while still shooting. [/size]

Heavy Support 3:
Hammerhead - SMS, BS Filter, Dis Pod, Multi Tracker, Railgun Total: 180
[size=7pt] [/size]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1499 [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

Any Comments please! whatever advice anyone can lend is apreciated. Please note, im waiting on Commander Farsight and 2x crisis suits. The plan is a Farsight army when they arrive. This list is *everything* that i own, so besides switching afew things around, i cant technically "add" anything extra.

As i said, please give advice as needed! thanks a ton everyone.
skippy35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2009, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 1500pts, advice needed

still lookin for any tips. Plz tau online members, help a fellow player out, remember its all for the greater good!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm trying to look over all unanswered lists atm (I know how annoying it can be), I should have some time over to look over your list tonight.
ZhePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2009, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well it looks like you pretty much tried to max out the points to get up to 1500 points, so I can't really give you any real good tips or stuff to change, but I'll see what I can see.

Also, word of caution; Farsight armies are not good, he only gimps the list and doesn't give anything worthwhile in return. The Tau army list isn't very strong to begin with and he doesn't exactly help out, so keep in mind that he will make it more difficult for you. If you like the model you could always use him as a normal Commander, just tell you opponent beforehand, just in case. Now onto what I'd do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy35671
HQ 1: Total: 325
Shas'O - Bonding knife, HW BS Filter, HW Drone Controller, HW Multi, Missle Pod, Plasma Rifle, Shield Gen.
Make him into a Shas'el, give him a Plasma, Fusion B./M. Pod, HW MultiT., Target Array.

Quote:
2 Body Guards, HW BS Filter, HW Multi, Missle, Plasma, Targeting Array
+Shield Drone
A Bodyguard is only 15 cheaper than a Shas'el and a Shas'el is well worth those extra 15p.
Make one of these Bodyguards into another Shas'el Commander. If you have any special weapons (like the Cyclonic or Airbursting ones alt. if you're good at converting stuff) give him one of those.
If you don't have or can't make any of those weapons, equip the Shas'el and the remaining bodyguard with: Plasma, M. Pod, HW multi-tracker, Target A.
Keep these guys together, the other Shas'el works solo.

Quote:
Elite 1:
Crisis Suit - Team Leader, HWBSFilter, TL Misslepod, Shield Gen Total:71
Give this unit one of those Crisis suits you're waiting for, equip the squad with this: Team leader (T.Array), plasma, M.Pod, MultiT.

Quote:
Elite 2:
Crisis Suit - Team Leader, HW BS Filter, Twin Fusion, Shield GenTotal:71
Give this unit the other Crisis suit you're waiting for. Equip them with: TL-M.Pod, T.Array.

Quote:
Elite 3:
Stealthsuitsx3 - 2xburst cannons 1x Fusion, drone controller, bs filter, target lock + Marker Light Drone Total: 130
No Fusion Gun for these guys, first off you mix weaponry and second you waste their stealth ability by getting within 12" (the sweet Jump-Shoot-Jump spot is around 20").
Give this unit: 2 markerdrones, markerlight. (You can convert the other Markerdrone from a regular Drone, just remove the guns and put a Target lock under it instead). Also upgrade one of them to a Team leader and give him a HW Drone Controller.

Quote:
Troop 1:
Fire Warriors x 12 Pusle Rifles
- DevilFish - Dis. Pod, Multi Track, Targ Array, 2 drones Total:220
Give the Devilfish but one upgrade, the D.Pod. The rest is pretty much pointless. Give the FW a Shas'ui that's Bonded.

Quote:
Troop 2:
Firewarriors x 10, pusle rifles Total:100
Give the FW a Shas'ui that's Bonded.

Also, you *really* need more Troops. Putting FW in DF is pretty much mandatory in games over 1000p.

Quote:
Fast Attack 1:
Gun Drone Squad x 6 Total: 72
Drones are not bad, but you usually have better stuff to put your points on.
But for now, drop them.

Quote:
Heavy Support 1:
Sniper Drone Team x 3 drones, 1 spotter Total:80
They were the weakest Heavy Support choice for the Tau in 4th Edition and they're even weaker now.
Drop it.

Quote:
Heavy Support 2:
Broadsides x 3 - 1 team leader, Bonding knife, A.S.S x 3 Total: 250
Broadsides work better in pairs. Split this unit into 2 and 1.
The 2 suit unit, give them: A.S.S., team leader w. HW DC & 2 shield drones, bonded, HW target-lock.

The 1 suit unit, give it: A.S.S., team leader w. HW DC & 1 shield drone.

Quote:
Heavy Support 3:
Hammerhead - SMS, BS Filter, Dis Pod, Multi Tracker, Railgun Total: 180
Remove the Blacksun filter.

With these changes you should come in at 1501 points (that is unless you didn't pick the Cyclonic or the Airbursting weapons).
The edited list looks like this:
HQ

Shas'el = 97
Plasma, Fusion B./M. Pod, HW multi-tracker, Target A.

Shas'el = 97 (joined by Shas'vre)

Shas'vre = 82

ELITE

2x Crisis = 139
Team leader (T.Array), plasma, M.Pod, MultiT.

2x Crisis = 106
TL-M.Pod, T.Array.

3x Stealth = 165
Team leader, 2 markerdrones, markerlight.

TROOP

12xFireWarriors = 135
T.Leader, Bonded.

10xFireWarriors = 115
T.Leader, Bonded

1x Devilfish = 85
Distrupt P.

HEAVY

2x Broadside = 205
A.S.S., team leader w. HW DC & 2 shield drones, bonded, HW target-lock.

1x Broadside = 100
A.S.S., team leader w. HW DC & 1 shield drone.

1x Hammerhead = 175
SMS, Dis Pod, Multi Tracker, Railgun.

TOTAL: 1501p
Old 22 Apr 2009, 23:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Militarized

I agree with Zheprime for most of what he says, he's given you some really good advice.

The only reason to take a sniper team is if you can max them out at 3 teams, that's when I think they come into play as an ok unit. As stated elsewhere, some people swear by them and some hate them.

"What do you think of Metallica?" - Reporter. "I don't listen to country music" -Joey Demaio, one of the KINGS OF METAL.
Militarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

gosh thanks a TON for writing all that up! I'm looking over the list, and alot of what you said makes sense.

I've been told by people i do need more marker lights, and i guess the stealth team would help that alot with the changes you've made.

now with the HQ, why plasma missles and fusion - Just to have a little of both worlds i assume?

Oh and also, i have to be either AT 1500, or under. this is going to TRY and become my tourny list in afew weeks, i cant be over the 1,500 mark.

any tips what to cut? everything seems so... "nessesary" with what you've changed.

also, do ZhePrime, why is farsight bad? I understand how he works and such, but could you explain alittle bit more about it?

-thanks guys!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
gosh thanks a TON for writing all that up! I'm looking over the list, and alot of what you said makes sense.
No prob.

Quote:
I've been told by people i do need more marker lights, and i guess the stealth team would help that alot with the changes you've made.
Giving a unit extra BS or reducing the enemies cover save is always nice

Quote:
now with the HQ, why plasma missles and fusion - Just to have a little of both worlds i assume?
When I wrote Fusion B./M. Pod I meant that *you* can decide what you want for them to have. But I'd advice you to give the solo Shas'el Plasma, Fusion B and the other Shas'el with the Bodyguard, give them Plasma, M. Pod.

Quote:
Oh and also, i have to be either AT 1500, or under. this is going to TRY and become my tourny list in afew weeks, i cant be over the 1,500 mark.
No Tourney I've ever been to has been that picky, usually they allow you to be 5p over the limit, I doubt anyone will complain about you being 1p over the limit...

Quote:
any tips what to cut? everything seems so... "nessesary" with what you've changed.
... but if they really are that picky, then you could remove the SMS from the Hammerhead and give it Burt Cannons, then spend 5p somewhere on upgrades. Then you'll be at 1496p.

Quote:
also, do ZhePrime, why is farsight bad? I understand how he works and such, but could you explain alittle bit more about it?
He's a very expensive HQ and he's basically a Space Marine Captain with a Power Weapon (apart from the +1W and +1S). So he's not really that dangerous in CC and won't save you from any nasties apart from tying them up a little while. So really, not worth it i.m.o.

Now let's look at what he does:
Ork Fighter: If you go into melee with Orks, you're dead. Totally pointless, especially since it only applies against 1 army.
Blood Brothers: Free bonding on units that can have it, that basicaly saves you 15-20p. That's not very impressive.
Bodyguard: 1-7 Bodyguards... Normally people only use 1 Bodyguard, tops (or none at all). What are you gonna do with say +4 Bodyguards that you couldn't otherwhise have done? Also putting all of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea. If he made it so that Crisis Suits could be taken as a Troop choice we'd be talking but sadly we got this worthless deal instead.
Breakaway Faction: Oh boy now this is where it really takes off. First off you can't take Ethereals, Kroot or Vespid. Not being able to take Kroot is a bit of a blow, since they're pretty good.
These units are 0-1, Stealth Suits, Pathfinders, Hammerheads, Broadsides, Skyrays, Piranhas... wow, those Fast attack limitations stung a bit, but those Heavy Support limitations really hurt, it basically forces you to mishmash and if you happen to like a certain unit you can't have more of them.
So what did you get from limiting yourself? Well nothing... nice deal huh?

So basically what you get from fielding Farsight is an overpriced Space Marine Captain and free bonding knives, looking at the cons, that's not a good deal no matter how you look at it.