Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 point incomplete tourney list. What is it lacking?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 16:08   #1 (permalink)
Monkey Boy

Default 1500 point incomplete tourney list. What is it lacking?

Okay this is a list I am in the process of writing for a upcomming tournament, it is incomplete and I could use your help in finishing it.
The crisis suits (incl the commander) are for termie hunting
The kroot protect the broadsides, I think the rest of what this army does is fairly obvious.

I'm not looking for purticular units I need, I would like you to point out what the force lacks, E.G. anti MEQ power. (note I am considering a unit of Vespid, I would like to know your opinion on them)

HQ
Commander Shadow Strike
Shas'O
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Multi Tracker
Hard Wired Drone Controller
Shield Drones X2

Elite
XV 8 Crisis Suit Team
2 Shas'Ui
Plasma Rifle X2
Fusion Blaster X2
Multi Tracker X2

Troops
Fire Warrior Team 1
11 Shas'La
1 Shas'Ui
Bonding Knife
Devilfish
Disruption Pod
Flechette Discharger
Multi Tracker

Fire Warrior Team 2
11 Shas'La
1 Shas'Ui
Bonding Knife
Devilfish
Disruption Pod
Flechette Discharger
Multi Tracker

Kroot Carnivore Squad
15 Kroot Carnivores

Heavy Support
XV 88 Broadside Team
1 Shas'Vre
Hard Wired Drone Controller
Shield Drone
Shield Drone
Advanced Stabilisation System
Shas'ui
Advanced Stabilisation System

Hammerhead 1
Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun
Smart Missile System
Disruption Pod
Multi Tracker

Hammerhead 2
Hammerhead Gunship
Ion Cannon
Smart Missile System
Disruption Pod
Multi Tracker

Total 1366 Points.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500 point incomplete tourney list. What is it lacking?

Add some Kroot Hounds to the Kroots. Without them they are not notably good in close combat. The Initiative of 5 can be really helpful.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Also a Shas'vre with a HWMT and shield gen would do wonders for your XV8 unit. They'll get a lot of fire, especially with the fusion blaster since they have to get pretty close to use it. You could swap it with the missile pod for the same points in games depending on the amount of tanks and whatnot.
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 14:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unless it's me, i don't see any markerlights, the godsent equipment which my army relies on, try to get some into your FW squads- IMHO, Drop the flechette dischargers and the multi-tracker from the D-Fish(you won't need this on a vehicle-'less it's an Skyray or Railhead), second, turn the O into an 'EL an idea which saved (points)me thanks to Boneguard, oh yes, before i forget, give the 'El a targeting array. for your broadside, why a Shas'vre? make him a team leader, you get the same stuff, those points could be used elsewhere.
RMB! Markerlights are your friend! The more the merrier!
Just my $0.02
Old 01 Feb 2009, 12:00   #5 (permalink)
Monkey Boy

Thanks for the feed back guys I was considering kroot hounds, but I decided to replace the kroot with fire warriors for firebase protection.

I've never really got on with marker lights en mass especially in pathfinder squads, scouts that pull the army forward that cannot move if they are going to be effective...

However I think some marker support for my helios team to increase the BS would be usefull perhaps a drone or two?
Old 01 Feb 2009, 13:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I never said to get Pathfinders, just get your firewarrior team-leaders to hold Markerlights and a Target Lock(use the leader to light up targets). Hmm...Marker drones eh? I didn't think of that, good idea i suppose, I've never tried Marker Drones to be honest, but i think they should do the job, plus they should give you an extra wound ;D
Old 02 Feb 2009, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
Tournament? What is it lacking? Space marines.
Army list threads are not really the place to get into that sort of discussion. Please try to keep comments focused on the list under consideration.

But do you have enough scoring units in this army, I wonder? Depending on what the objectives are, that seems like a vulnerability. Kroot are very easy to drive off of an objective, and Fire Warriors can't really assault to push an enemy off of one. It seems like another Troop selection might be a good idea.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 23:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

well the minimum for a 2000 pt game should be 5 troops anyway, but if you know your going to have forests, then kroot are a very good choice, and very hard to drive off.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 08:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Are your Firewarriors really going to stand and defend the Broadsides? Then why buy Devilfishes without MT, TA and SMS for them? Battletaxis without troops to transport. If that is your plan you should probably buy more squads of Firewarriors and/or Kroot and ditch the Devilfishes.

I would really consider buing gun- or shielddrones for your squads of suits. I cannot stress enough how many times they have saved my crisis suits from taking the wound from a lascannon, missile launcher or some such. Just a single gun drone is actually quite awesome for its low cost. I would really look into that.

And as a general tip: Don't think so much about AP when considering "anti-MEQ". Anti-TEQ will need some dedicated firepower, which you have covered, but with regards to regular MEQ's I would rather go for volume of fire in your list. That will take care of both marines and lesser protected foes and is better in an all-comers environment such as a tournament.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Monkey Boy

just to clarify, there is only one unit of stationary FW's the other two go with the suits and tanks to kill things.

I have made some changes to the list, I now have no spare points a unit of 3 deathrains and two shield drones on my helios suits... but still only three units of fire warriors, thing is I can't really find anything I would want to drop for more of 'em.