Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau Army [DOW Style]
Old 11 Nov 2008, 23:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Tau Army [DOW Style]

Well in my proclivity to make new projects to keep me from going into debt (long story) I’ve decided that down the line I’d like to make a Tau army based on the group I usually build in the computer game Soulstorm (which I am currently going through the campaign mode on)

While an army there might not work too well on the table top (hell mine is illegal) I figure it would be fun to try, plus the modeling and building aspect would be fun (especially if I can build the buildings too).

Any way I was wondering how my fellow Tau players though of this 1500 pts list made of the units from the game (and still keeping it legal). The units are at max size for the DOW game.

DOW Tau Army – 1500 pts

Shas’o – 172 pts
- Cyclonic Ion Blaster, AFP, missile pod, hard-wired Drone controller, Shield Drone x2, hard-wired target lock, hard-wired multi-tracker, stim injector
I’m going to model this using the Shadowsun model to match the game, though rules wise this is a XV-8 instead of a XV-22, I still haven’t taken the stealth field for him yet)

Stealth Team – 182 pts
3 XV-15 – burst cannon, targeting array
1 XV-25 – fusion blaster, targeting array, stim injector

Stealth Team – 172 pts
1 XV-25 – fusion blaster, targeting array

Stealth Team – 172 pts
1 XV-25 – fusion blaster, targeting array
While I’d like to have four fusion blasters as I do in the game, tactically using three burst cannons at BS 4 will be more deadly

Firewarrior Squad – 108 pts
7 Shas’la – pulse rifle, photon grenades
1 Shas’ui – pulse rifle, marklight, photon grenades

Firewarrior Squad – 108 pts
7 Shas’la – pulse rifle, photon grenades
1 Shas’ui – pulse rifle, marklight, photon grenades
Squads are normally 6 shas’la and two shas’ui, can’t do that here so squad has a shas’ui and added a markerlight for better shooting

Kroot Carnivore Squad – 98 pts
10 Kroot – kroot rifles
1 Shaper – kroot rifle

Kroot Carnivore Squad – 98 pts
10 Kroot – kroot rifles
1 Shaper – kroot rifle
Small counter assault with some survivability (not a ounce of the game version of course), but need some attacks and my LGS uses lots of woods

Broadside Battlesuit – 80 pts
- Twin-linked Railgun, Smart missile system, Advance Stabilization system

Hammerhead Gunship – 170 pts
- Railgun, burst cannon x2, targeting array, multi-tracker, target lock, Disruption Pod

Skyray Missile Gunship – 140 pts
- Seeker Missile x6, markerlights x2, target lock, smart missile system, targeting array, multi-tracker

Total: 1500 pts Models: 52 Infantry, 2 tanks

Model Notes: I would purchase two battle forces to start plus see about e-baying a dozen old stealth suits and then get the other box sets as needed. Was thinking of a Enchanted Blue on ice world bases.

C&C?

+Edit on suggestion+
Focslain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New Tau Army [DOW Style]

Well first off, I notice you don't dedicate your Elites and Hq units to a single task. This is a mistake I made at first. With the stealthsuits, the fusion blaster is okay seeing as how you lack tank killing ability elsewhere. However, the commander does need a bit of work. I would recommend dropping the flamer in exchange for a shield generator or AFP. Also, don't bother giving armor to the kroot, as almost all weapons will bypass it. You may want to add another railgun but the fusion blasters should be enough for tank killing.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: New Tau Army [DOW Style]

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Well first off, I notice you don't dedicate your Elites and Hq units to a single task. This is a mistake I made at first. With the stealthsuits, the fusion blaster is okay seeing as how you lack tank killing ability elsewhere. However, the commander does need a bit of work. I would recommend dropping the flamer in exchange for a shield generator or AFP. Also, don't bother giving armor to the kroot, as almost all weapons will bypass it. You may want to add another railgun but the fusion blasters should be enough for tank killing.
Well after dropping the armour from the Kroot will give me the points needed to add the AFP, which looking at it will be much deadlier then the flamer.

Just relooking through the codex (I've been reviewing it lightly the last few days) the stealth suits can out flank which should give them an edge versus armour.

List has been modified.
Focslain is offline   Reply With Quote