Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MechTau's 1000 point list + discussion - [Now with 1500 point Tourney Army]
Old 30 Sep 2008, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default MechTau's 1000 point list + discussion - [Now with 1500 point Tourney Army]

HQ

I see my HQ as a perfect place to put my anti-Termie/Marine Crisis battlesuits. These will respond to Drop Pods and other nastiness, in addition to probably being the target of such nastiness.

- Shas'el - Plasma, CIB, Targetting Array, hw drone controller and hw multi - 100
  • Shas'vre Bodyguard - Fusion, Plasma, Targetting Array, hw multi - 82
  • 2x Shield Drones 30

Elites

These are the Deathrains with flamers I'm a bit excited about. They'll do some serious damage at any range.

- Shas'ui, Flamer, TL MP - 47

- Shas'ui, Flamer, TL MP 47

This guy joins up with the Bodyguard unit

- Shas'ui team leader, Plasma, fusion, targetting, and hw multi - 77

Heavy Support

Pretty straightforward: shoots tanks, and can supply incidental fire at will

- Hammerhead, Railgun, Multitracker, SMS, Target Lock, D Pod - 180

Troops

These guys provide the weight of fire, and scoring bodies. The warfishes were taken because the Devilfish is still a damn good weapons platform, and it makes me feel less bad about hiding away inside them.

- Devilfish , 10 Shas'la , Ta'lissera Bonded, Devilfish upgraded with the SMS smart missile system, targetting array, and a multitracker - 220

- Devilfish , 10 Shas'la , Ta'lissera Bonded, Devilfish upgraded with the SMS smart missile system, targetting array, and a multitracker - 220

[hr]

Total: 1003 points

[hr]

I need advice on tactically how this list would play out. Do I have enough Str 5 Ap 5 shots to deal with lists heavy on infantry?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: MechTau's 1000 point list + discussion - Come ye, come ye!

I like the flavor of the list. Any list that respects the awesomeness of deathrains gets my attention quick.

My first thought on the list is why the shield drones? I understand the use of being able to take hits from a lascannon or two, but I always thought that the general plan was to use the tanks to hide the crisis suits from enemy fire with JSJ. That's just my take on it, and with three skimmers, it shouldn't be overly difficult. On the other hand, if they are to keep deepstriking nasties from roasting the commander in a turn, then go for it. I guess that's what they'd really be for, as I think about it...

I like the deathrains, despite the flamers. I know it makes them cheaper, and provides for fun against armies that get closer, but I guess I'm just sold on the targeting arrays :P

I wouldn't be too worried about enemy infantry. You have the hammerhead, but more importantly, two warfish. Those 14 BS 4 shots are fearsome weapons. It's sad that they can only move 6" if they want to fire everything, but that's the only drawback. On a different note, however, the current FW set up is illegal. You have to have a shas'ui to take a bonding knife. Since you included the points for it, I'd use the 10 points to get the warfish disruption pods. They'll be close to the enemy, yes, but staying resistant to enemy long range firepower is invaluable. It's something to try out.

My advice for the tactics of the list is to never get the fire warriors out unless the devilfish itself is destroyed. You only have two scoring units, and you need to keep them alive. What I'd do is just remove the thought of them deploying from your mind. I know it can be rough, but I'd try it, and see what happens. Let the rest of the army deal with the enemy, which I'm confident they can do, and then use the fire warriors to take objectives at the end of the game. Thoughts?

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's interesting. Tactica: Fire Warriors is a hard, hard thing.

I'm having an interesting thought: Dropping one of the Helios suits (Probably the bodyguard guy, as he's 5 points more than he needs to be) (And dropping one of the Devilfishes for one of the Fire Warrior squads) and getting a Pathfinder team. I'd use "their" Warfish to carry one of the Fire Warrior squads.

Only problem with this plan is that it puts 6-7 infantry models on the board. While I can use their Scout rule to put them in cover/use the range of their markerlights to keep them from harm's way, they may suffer from an enemy who knows what they're doing. Yet... the idea of a double Fish of Futy at BS 5 at 1000 points is amazing.

Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 03 Oct 2008, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
That's interesting. Tactica: Fire Warriors is a hard, hard thing.

I'm having an interesting thought: Dropping one of the Helios suits (Probably the bodyguard guy, as he's 5 points more than he needs to be) (And dropping one of the Devilfishes for one of the Fire Warrior squads) and getting a Pathfinder team. I'd use "their" Warfish to carry one of the Fire Warrior squads.

Only problem with this plan is that it puts 6-7 infantry models on the board. While I can use their Scout rule to put them in cover/use the range of their markerlights to keep them from harm's way, they may suffer from an enemy who knows what they're doing. Yet... the idea of a double Fish of Futy at BS 5 at 1000 points is amazing.
If you want, I can send you a PM of what I did in this respect, using the pathfinder warfish for the firewarriors. It was a pretty nasty anti-Ork list, with 12 stealth suits, and 12 pathfinders. Obviously, as you pointed out, the main problem is the fact that they are easy pickings for the enemy. It's a weakness most experience players take advantage of (though I've faced many an arrogant marine player who forgets that they can't play Tau like they play other marines). The only thing I can see might be transfering those shield drones from the commander to the pathfinders, or making them gun drones, and use the ten points elsewhere. I don't know how useful the extra bodies might be, but they might help.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the enemy gets first turn, you'll have two infantry units on the board, as the fire warriors have to be outside the warfish at the start of the game, so be sure to keep them hidden.

About the shield drones, its still my conviction that Tau HQs shouldn't use shield drones, unless you are Farsight, and want to beat something in CC really good. We can still use JSJ with our tanks, which are some of the biggest in the game, and so it is okay that they don't have drones. Yes, they are more vulnerable, but they are also now able to move with mobile cover. They aren't tied to one piece of terrain, which makes them an incredibly valuable asset. Sadly though, I still need some more experience with them in 5th edition to really get the hang of it.

Quote:
I'm sigging that

Cheers!
Quote:
Old 03 Oct 2008, 06:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Here we go. I've decided that markerlights are quite important too me, so here goes!

HQ
  • Shas'el, Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ionic Blaster, Targeting Array, and hardwired Multitracker - 100

Elites
  • 2x Shas'ui, twin-linked Missile Pods and a Flamer each - 94
  • 1x Shas'ui team leader, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, hardwired Multitracker - 77

Troops
  • 10 Firewarriors, Devilfish Transport, Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Disruption Pods - 220
  • 10 Firewarriors - 100

Fast Attack
  • 8 Pathfinders, Devilfish Transport, Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Disruption Pods, Seeker Missile - 226

Heavy Support
  • Hammerhead Gunship, Railgun, Multitracker, SMS, Target Lock, D Pod, Blacksun filter - 185

Total: 1,002

[edit] Crammed a Blacksun filter onto the Hammerhead for that one turn... they'll never expect it.

Old 03 Oct 2008, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have to say, that would not be a fun army to face. It covers every aspect of an enemy army that you would ever face, and 8 pathfinders make for a way to really ruin somebodies day. The seeker missile is also a very nice touch. Just in case we need to kill an extra enemy model (or tank, as it may be). I may have to try this army one day Now, shall we go up to 1500?

Cheers!

Quote:
Old 03 Oct 2008, 23:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, yes, 1,500.

Given my current state of affairs, it would make much more sense for me to paint my army up to 1k before I even look sideways at another model. Also, the Army Transport which has protected my Tau might be able to fit 1500 points, but it'd be a stretch.

I also need to play a few games before I start making new changes.

I heart-thingy army list making, though.

Old 06 Oct 2008, 07:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: MechTau's 1000 point list + discussion - [Now with 1500 point Tourney Army]

HQ
  • Shas'el, Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ionic Blaster, Targeting Array, and hardwired Multitracker - 100

Elites
  • 3x Crisis battlesuits; 2x are Shas'ui, Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, and Multitracker to both of them; the Shas'ui team leader has TL Missile Pods and Burst Cannon, hardwired multitracker - 161
  • 1x Shas'ui team leader, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, hardwired Multitracker - 77
  • 4x Stealth Shas'ui - 120

Troops
  • 10 Firewarriors, Devilfish Transport, Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Disruption Pods - 220

Fast Attack
  • 8 Pathfinders, Devilfish Transport, Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Disruption Pods, 2x Seeker Missile - 236

Heavy Support
  • Hammerhead Gunship, Railgun, Multitracker, SMS, Target Lock, D Pod, Blacksun filter - 185

Total: 1,504

Old 06 Oct 2008, 20:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: MechTau's 1000 point list + discussion - [Now with 1500 point Tourney Army]

Where did all the deathrains go? :'(

It's definitely a different list than the one at 1000 points. The Troops, Fast Attack, and Heavy Support are fundamentally the same, but the elites and HQ are definitely different.

The HQ and helios shas'ui are always a good pick. At this level, both of them are going to be making anything with the name marine hurting. Plus, if you need extra tank killing power, you've got it. I can't fault the stealth suits. I love them, and having four of them plus the pathfinders is definitely something scary to face.

I guess my main concern is the firestorm team. It has a lot of firepower, granted, but it can't be split up like the deathrains can be. It's also not as accurate. What's the thought process behind the switch?

Cheers!

Quote:
Old 07 Oct 2008, 04:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thought process was "I need more missile pods" and "I don't feel comfortable spending 150 points on just missile pods".

The new squad is just as good, nay, better than the old at killing a transport, and I have seeker missiles now to ruin a transport's day. So, guarantee two transports and a heavy tank dead first turn, and two tanks are going down turn 2 somehow... so that's 5 tanks, and I can mop up from there if they really did spend that many points on tanks.

Of course, my army does the same thing [bring lots of tanks], except with all those D pods it will take twice as much firepower to kill them all. Disruption Pods: Porta-Shrubbery