Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 tourny list
Closed Thread
Old 06 May 2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 1500 tourny list

This is a new list I came up with, differing a bit than most armies I play; the biggest change here is my introduction of pathfinders, which I normally do not use. However, I can convert some firewarriors easily and thought I might try them out for once. I'll list the army first and then point out how I plan to play it.

Shas'el--missile pod, TL fusion, HW multitracker
92 pts

Crisis team--missile pod, plasma rifle, multi-tracker
195 pts

Stealth team X4
120 pts

Fire warrior squad X12
120 pts

Two squads of firewarrior X12
Mounted in Devilfish
DF has decoy launchers
410 total pts

Squad of 6 pathfinders
DF has decoy launchers
169 pts

Broadside team X1
Smart Missile system, TL railgun, multi-tracker
75 pts

Hammerhead #1
railgun,two burst cannons
Decoy launchers, mutli-tracker,disruption pod

Hammerhead #2
Ion cannon, two burst cannons
Decoy launchers, mutli-tracker,disruption pod

Now here's my reasoning;

First, the pathfinders. With only two railguns in this list, I think it's pretty important I be hitting with those as much as possible.
With 6 pf, there is a rather large chance I will get a 4, which in turn will lead to my HH hitting on a 2. If there are no armored targets, the ionhead comes into play; hitting with all 3 beefy shots on 2's. And if my options are exhausted tankwise, then in come stealthsuits hitting on 2's yet again. My thoughts on the disruption pod are varied; having not much experience with it, and that experience not very good, I have mixed feelings about taking it. My plan, however, is to keep both heads as far back as possible, LoS permitting.

Next, the firewarriors. Normally I play a very hybrid army, this one is a bit less so. Exchanging one squad for a unit of Pathfinders offers more mobility, and with only 1 static squad the worry of getting charged is gone (not counting the broadside). Hopefully the 3 squads will be enough, comments on this are appreciated.

Last, the crisis suits. I am a big fan of crisis suits; having lots of experience with them in the recent past, I believe I can use them well enough to win their points back pretty easily. I have the TL FB on my HQ just as a backup tank buster, and he if I know my opponent will be using a basilisk or other "hiding" tank, I will set him aside to deepstrike. And of course, fireknife combo since this has always worked well for me.

That's about it, critic away!

Old 06 May 2005, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: 1500 tourny list

VV1LD:

I like it. Those pathfinders can guide Stealthsuits or railguns, or burstcannons on hammerheads up close (guided BS4 burstcanons are quite nice).

My only change, is that I would probably go for twin-linked missile pods over the fusion blaster. He's not a crutch in terms of anti-tank, so I would look to make the most of him when he's not 12 inches up to a tank. Afterall, he would have to deepstrike to really be able to ever use the fusion and in that case, deathrail does it too.

Otherwise - Totally fine, and good luck to you!
Old 06 May 2005, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmm, Tl missilepod and fusion blaster it is, although I will try both combinations .
Old 06 May 2005, 01:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd go for something more like :

Shas'El
TLMP,PR,HWMT
97 pts

Monat Crisis
-TLMP
-Flamer
57pts

Monat Crisis
-TLMP
-Flamer
57pts

Stealth team X6
180 pts

12 FW
-shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
-MT
225pts
X2
450pts

10 Kroot
70pts

8 PF
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
-MT
201pts

BS
-MT
75 pts

Railhead
-Burst
-MT
-DL
165pts

Ionhead
-Burst
-MT
-DL
145pts

(the Monats can be either TLMP or TLPR if you think marines will be that much of a problem)

this gives you a bit more flexibility IMO.

the 'El lost his FB, if he is using the IC rule properly getting him to 12" is dangerous if he's not going to kill everything withing a mile :P

I split the Crisis into monats because it gives them a lower profile and people seem to like shooting at crisis, they dont take it well, monats are also much better to Ds against IDFire things like 'Lisks as they dont cost as much and dont hurt as much as loosing an 'El.

the stealths came up to 6 becasue they just are that good.

got rid of the FW for Kroot to get some more points and for stylistic issues, if you dont want to use Kroot remove them and one FW from each fish for 8 Gundrones.

the HS section prettymuch stayed the same.

comments on my modifications?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 06 May 2005, 01:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always like more stealths, and using monat crisis is a good idea. A few things though, I dislike flamer, prefer to stay ranged, but the change from the fusion to PR is a very good idea, i was toying with it myself. Also, I do not use kroot or gun drones , at least not at the moment. I am going to get a couple of kroot squads soon but never drones, unless they are boosted. Also, the 8 pathfinders to me is a bit of a waste; after all I will be using them mainly with railhead and ionhead, more than 6 is a few too many points to be using for a couple units (if I were planning on using them with larger squads, on the other hand, 8 would be better, but I try not to do this). As a matter of fact, I MAY just take them down to a squad of 4 or 5, after I run some stats down; I want a very high chance of landing a markerlight, but not overkill (after all, hitting with 3 markerlights out of 6 doesn't help much when I am only helping the single shot of a railgun). One question however, can I (while markerlighting one squad) assign each markerlight hit to a different unit I control? I don't think so...but just confirming.

EDIT: are there that many advantages to using MT on devilfish? 6 shots more per FoF I guess, comments on this as well if you will.
Old 06 May 2005, 01:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

its 10 points for 3 more FW shots coming from a much more dudable scource, sounds good to me ;D

the PF squad size : 8 is always good, it gives you more when you need stealths to be efficiesnt lawnmowers, and makes them harder to erase, same with the shas'ui, a squad of 6 with no ui is going to run in a stiff breeze, 8 with ui will be sticking around for longer, more guys and Shas'ui are one of the few end loading upgrades I approve of.

go for the Kroot then, or perhaps a 6 man FW team with 3 carbs and an 'Ui.

go here
Old 06 May 2005, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I realized that when I actually looked at the points; as for the kroot I have none at the moment, so this army is "pure tau" until later changes. I will also add ui's in to the FW squads, the percent change of passing a moral goes from 56 something to I think 72, almost 20% (1/5!) of passing. Or, I might just add an ethereal since for 10 more points my chance of passing increases to 82%, not bad eh. Also, I always pack my fish with max squads, I highly dislike only 6 in a fish, they run too often, don't pack enough firepower, and are designed for a different sort of playing style than mine. Other than that, I'm off to make modifications, any other comments are appreciated.
Old 06 May 2005, 01:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I wasnt suggesting a fish for the 6 FW :P there wasnt the points anyway, although I realise that 60 pts of seekers might be better than 10 Kroot :P

I'd just go for the 'ui's 30pts of ui or 50pts of etheral that bring a danger however small with it, the 'Ui's are safer and more cost effective IMO.
go here
Old 06 May 2005, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

About your markerlight question... a quick glance on pg. 19 of the codex states that yes you can assign markerlight hits to different units.* The FAQ also confirms this. So light 'em up and let 'em have it* ;D
Old 06 May 2005, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytek
About your markerlight question... a quick glance on pg. 19 of the codex states that yes you can assign markerlight hits to different units.* The FAQ also confirms this.* So light 'em up and let 'em have it* ;D
this teaches us to put line breaks between points, it totally missed that question
go here
Closed Thread