Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Calling all Tournament Winners
Closed Thread
Old 01 May 2005, 20:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Calling all Tournament Winners

As part of the army boards section I would like to include some lists that have won tournaments...of course winning tournaments depends more on just a list, but it would be interesting all the same.

So if you have won in a GW tournament with Tau (doesn't have to be a huge Grand Tournament) then please post up your list to me via pm or tell me in this thread. If the tournament was a huge one (100+ people), than a finish within the top 10 will do. Also can you tell me how many people entered the tournament so i can decide whether or not to post it up! thanks guys!

Old 21 May 2005, 00:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to wera Send a message via MSN to wera Send a message via Yahoo to wera
Default Re: Calling all Tournament Winners

can we post about local gw stor tornys too???
Old 21 May 2005, 01:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera the master of dogs and eater of things
can we post about local gw stor tornys too???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
As part of the army boards section I would like to include some lists that have won tournaments...of course winning tournaments depends more on just a list, but it would be interesting all the same.

So if you have won in a GW tournament with Tau (doesn't have to be a huge Grand Tournament) then please post up your list to me via pm or tell me in this thread. If the tournament was a huge one (100+ people), than a finish within the top 10 will do. Also can you tell me how many people entered the tournament so i can decide whether or not to post it up! thanks guys!

The fact that he stated (the part i have highlighted bold) that it doesnt have to be a huge grand tournament makes me reckon that local tournaments are indeed acceptable, although he only seems to want lists which won tournaments, or got rather close in big tournaments. But if you have one of them feel free to post it here so he can see it and then make a judgement on it (as it also states in his post).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 27 May 2005, 16:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I played in a 500 point tournament at the game shop on Saturday. The rules were 1+ troop choice required, no HQ selection necessary, and no 200 point tank allowed. All models had to be fully painted and based Games-Workshop minis. I used the tau for my army. The list was really cheesy, it consisted of

6 FW
1 DF MT DL TA
HH RG SMS MT DL TA TL
HH ION SMS MT DL TA TL

It was 500 points even, and it owned! I won four out of five battles. The first one against space marines was an easy win even though my rail gun missed 50 % of the time. The second battle was against Dark Eldar. It was another easy win, he had no vehicles. The third was against eldar, I took out his tank on the first turn and the rest was easy.The fourth battle was against space wolves, too easy. The last battle was against another group of space marines, but this time it was not so easy. His assault squad caught my devil fish. I had left it too close and he destroyed it with metla bombs. His last cannon took out everything( he kept rolling 6 and I kept rolling 1's). I lost that game, but it was a fun ttournament I won overall, and it was another victory for the greater good. it was held by GW there were camera and i won $50 for being the champ . Special thanks to dizzy who came up with this list for this tournament.

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 May 2005, 21:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

well done then! I have already expressed what i don't like about the rules but a win is a win....roll on more winning lists (yes local gw store victories count!)

Old 28 May 2005, 18:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your wish is my command 42! I shall post my "winning" list(s) that has won me 14 out of 21 games in my local tourny! (Not bad,eh?)
[hr]1500pt List: There were 22 players (with a wide variety of armies) including myself. I lost mainly to Chaos and Imperial Guard (they're tougher than they look!) :-\ But in total I came in Second Place...I still curse the Chaos for getting First (if only I had two more wins!) BAH! :-\

Special Note: This list was created with the help of Dizzy, but with a few modifications were added by myself. 8)

[size=11pt]HQ:
Shas'el A'u'nat: TL Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, HW Multi-Tracker

Elites:
Deathrain Monat 1: TL Missile Pod, Flamer

Deathrain Monat 2: TL Missile Pod, Flamer

Stealth Team: 6 Suits, Burst Cannons

Troops:
Firewarrior Team 1: 11 Shas'la, 1 Shas'ui, Pulse Rifles
Devilfish: Decoy Launcher, Burst Cannon, Drones

Firewarrior Team 2: 11 Shas'la, 1 Shas'ui, Pulse Rifles
Devilfish: Decoy Launcher, Burst Cannon, Drones

Fast Attack:
Drone Squadron: 8 Drones, TL Pulse Carbines

Pathfinder Team: 7 Shas'la, 1 Shas'ui, Markerlights, Pulse Carbines
Devilfish: Decoy Launcher, Burst Cannon, Drones, 2 Seekers

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead 1: Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Targetting Array, Seeker

Hammerhead 2: Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Targetting Array, Seeker

Total: 1503pts[/size]

Notes: There...with a wide varitey of units, many opponents don't really know what to throw their attacks at...also by not making one unit better than the other (Twin Monats, Twin Hammerheads, Twin FW's) one will not (sometimes) attract all of the attention and be gone in the first couple of turns.

The best tactic that I can give with this list is use the Pathfinders and Drones wisley. The Pathfinders marking up a target for the Stealth Suits' Burst Cannons is a devastating combo in the first couple of turns; as many of my opponents have witnessed (and devastated! ^-^ ). The Pathfinders are also exceptionally good with only 4 Seekers; especially if you save them until the middle of the game where "bigger" things hide!

Also take care of Drones and Deepstrike them into the rear of the enemy in the last couple of turns...Twin-Linked B2 is really quite a treat to roll!

All in all...this is a really nicely balanced list. With a variety of units means a variety of tactics that one can deploy. The best army to play with this list (believe it or not) is Tyranids! There is enough firepower to take down the big guys, while still enough tucked away to smack around the little guys too! ^-^ I honestly think that not many people will be able to pick apart this list too much!

Enjoy! 8)

[hr]Update: Played a 1500pt 4-way battle this morning; which lasted like 4 hours! :P Orks, 'Nids, SMurfs, and my Tau: Take and Hold the Centeral Bunker was the mission objective. I let the Orks and 'Nids rush in and take the bunker then fight one another while I traded potshots with the SM's...Needless to say after 3 Turns of shooting I loaded up and swooped down onto the bunker where I cleasned the remaining Orks and Nids. Horray for Railguns!

Honestly I can say that It was my funnest game ever...my friends and I had to laugh at the Seeker Missiles that went screaming through the middle of battle and then blasted the SM's that were further away...On the turn which I did that all of the Orks and Nids failed to kill a single model against each other in Close Combat; we assumed they were too busy ducking from the Seekers that were flying overhead! ^-^ ;D

[hr]40K in 40Mins: Lots of people are chatting on about 40K in 40mins, so instead of just reapeating myself over and over again, I'll post my list in here! This little list has won me a fair amount of 40K in 40mins, but I don't often play it (I'm more of a 1500pt guy!) :

[size=11pt]Shas'el A'u'nat: Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, HW Multi-Tracker

12 Fire Warriors: Pulse Rifles
1 Devilfish: Decoy Launcher, Burst Cannon, Drones

8 Gun Drones: Twin-Linked Pulse Carbines

Total: 396pts[/size]

Notes: The main focus of this list is mobility. I am able to make my units hop up to their places in the first turn, then unleash hell! The TL MP on the Shas'el works fine on all sorts of targets, and allows me to hop around with fear or retaliation fire! Also I find that the Gun Drones work quite well: for they keep up with the rest of the army and TL BS 2 is a treat to roll! (Bonus: They pin!) ;D

[hr]Update #2: A couple of people (who will remain annoymous) e-mailed me and complained that my list was not legal due to the fact that it was 3pts over 1500. I e-mailed the rules boyz and asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'u'nat
I created a list that is 1503pts...is it legal to play in a Tournament (or am I over the point limit?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roolzboyz
It is perfectly legal to be within 5 points of the agreed set amount, both above and below. Also please check your Tournament Rules, for it will be listed there as well. -Randy
See? The list is legal and able to have no complaints against it! ;D

[hr]Update #3: Stay tuned for a 500pt and 1000pt lists! People are demanding them! ;D
Old 01 Jul 2005, 08:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I played in a tournament last weekend and won best overall, the following is my list and some things I learned from playing against Space wolves, Black Templars, Sisters of Battle, Biel-Tan Eldar, Death Guard and Dark Eldar Wych Cult.

Shas'el w/ plasma & misslepod,multi-tracker
3 Crisis w/ plasma& misslepod, multi-trackers's
5 Stealth
12 FW in DF w/ shas'ui ( TA, MT, DL, 1 seeker )
12 FW in DF w/ shas'ui ( TA, MT, DL, 1 seeker )
18 Kroot
6 Human Auxilliaries w/sarge w/markerlight,EMP grenades
2 Pathfinder Tetras
Monat Broadside w/TL plasma
Hammerhead w 2 burst cannons,MT,DL, 1 seeker

1500 pts exactly.

Lessons learned :

1) Multi-trackers on all vehicles are a must for using all available firepower to saturate a target.

2) Fire warriors should not disembark unless they have to. In 2 of 6 games thet did not get out until turn 5 and once not at all. In every game I have played I have never fired their pulse rifles farther than 12" ( They ALWAYS rapid-fire ) and they were only once reduced ( 1 of 2 squads ) to less than 1/2 ( non-scoring ).

3) MOVE- decide which way you are going and who you are going after and hit them with everything you have. This is not only a prudent tactical way to gain victory points, but it is really demoralising for your opponent to watch entire squads being wiped out ( usually expensive ones ).

4)Tetras are great little vehicles, mostly being ignored for more choice targets and with a 5 pt. targetting array both hit on 3's. I found them usefull for contributing to a FoF against the Dark Eldar wyches as charge blockers ( they can't hurt them unless they have special equipment ) as well as lighting up targets for seekers. I only had 3 seekers but I have 3 markerlights ( gue'vesa'ui has 1 )so if I'm going after a tough target with all squads ( bikers for example ) it is best to fire seekers in a barrage to inflict maximum damage in 1 turn. They are also best used against high point models with 3+ armour ( devastators, bikes, etc. ) for maximum bang for your buck.It doesn't get any better than hitting on 2' and killing on 2's with no armor or cover save.

5)If you have the choice of being attacker or defender be the defender. The Tau excell at moving away from an advancing enemy and doing a lot of killing in the process.

6) Stay together- do not spread your forces out across the table -keep them tight and dangerous to get too close to. Most opponents made the mistake of rushing someone in ahead of the rest ,and if they did not get in combat ( they did not 5 out of 6 times ) I was able to destroy any advance unit and keep moving away from the rest.

7) This one is a no-brainer but should be mentioned because I noticed that a few opponents did not do this: carefully read the scenario you are about to play, carefully read all the extra battle points details , and then go for them with focus. It amazed me at how some would just forget, or play a good game but not go for the main objective. Sometimes it was : NUMBER of scoring units, not victory points that would win the game- so read and play accordingly

8) The Tau KICK BUTT in 40k if you play them the way ( I think ) that they were meant to be played, mobile with every battle suit with a multi-tracker for maximum firepower per turn, all working as a team.

Old 02 Jul 2005, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

My 1000Pt Tau List, won 3rd in a 28 man 3 day scenario campaign. Mostly SMurfs, Nids, Eldar, and Chaos ew...
HQ
Ethereal - 50 Pts
Elites
6 Man Stealth Suit Team Bonded - 215 Pts
-1 Team leader
* *-Markerlight and Multi tracker
Troops
12 Man Firewarrior Team Bonded - 277 Pts
-Shas'ui
* *-Photon Grenades, Multi Tracker, and Markerlight
-Devilfish Transport
* *-Multi Tracker, 1 seeker missle, 1 Disruption Pod
12 Man Firewarrior Team Bonded - 265 Pts
-Shas'ui
* *-Multi Tracker and Markerlight
-Devilfish Transport
* *-Multi Tracker, 1 Seeker Missle, 1 Disruption Pod
Heavy Support
Hammerhead Gunship - 190 Pts
-Railgun (duh) Smart Missle System
* *-Multi Tracker, Target Lock, 1 Seeker Missle, 1 Disruption Pod.

Totalling in at: 997 Pts
Comments: I know I didn't use a lot of models on the table with list and I was a little wary of what would happen if my HH died, (it was truly the backbone). But after last weeks crushing defeat (using no Transports) A change was needed. The stealth suit team was also my Army's MVP and the Campaign Squad MVP, Taking out 3 HQs, 7 troops, and 2-3 Heavys.
This army was really focused around the 3 skimmers on my board. The ethereal just hid, and FoF worked flawlessly.

I can post battle reports if wanted.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

1st place in 40kforums.com torny on 10th august
about 30 people

Etheral 2 c.c.weapons 50
Comander twin fusion gun, M.pod, H.W.Multitracker,H.W.T.lock,H.W.drone controller,a gun drone 92

crisis team 1 P.Rifle, M.Pod, M.tracker 195
crisis team 2 P.Rifle, M.Pod, M.tracker 195

Crisis team 3 2 with twin p.rifle, shield drone
team leader with Twin p.rifle, f.gun,H.W.M.tracker 219

F.Warriors Pulse rifles 60
Kroot- green kroot rifles 70
Kroot- blue kroot rifles 70

H.Head 1 Rail gun, S.M.system, M.Tracker, t.lock, D.Launchers 180
H.Head 2 Rail gun, S.M.system, M.Tracker, t.lock, D.Launchers 180
H.Head 3 Rail gun, B.Cannons, M.Tracker, t.lock, D.Launchers 170

Old 01 Sep 2005, 09:12   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the list that Scott Simpson won atlanta GT 2004 with (it was 3rd edition rules)

-HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead w/railgun, smart missiles, multitracker, target lock, etc.
Hammerhead w/railgun, smart missiles, multitracker, target lock, etc.
Hammerhead w/ion cannon, Burst Cannons, multitracker, target lock, etc.
-TROOPS
Fire Warriors (x6) w/no other gear
-ELITES
Stealth Suits (x6) w/no other gear
Crisi Suits (x2) team leader w/TL plasma, missiles & hard wired multi tracker; other suit w/TL plasma, missiles
Crisi Suits (x2) team leader w/TL plasma, missiles & hard wired multi tracker; other suit w/TL plasma, missiles
-HQ
Shas'O Via'gra w/plasma, missile, fusion & hard wired multitracker
Shas'O Cia'lis w/plasma, missile, fusion & hard wired multitracker
-FAST ATTACK
Gun Drones x8
Gun Drones x7
Gun Drones x4

note the completely full FOC
Closed Thread