XV8 x1 - Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, Multi tracker
Mobile, anti-tank

Troop

Firewarrior Team x12 - Pulse Rifle x12, Shas'ui, Bonding knife
Static, base of fire

Firewarrior Team x6 - Pulse Rifle x6
Static, supporting fire

Fast attack

Pathfinder Team x6 - 2x Railrifle + Target Lock, Shas'ui, Bonding Knife, HW Multi Tracker
Mobile, flank attack

Devilfish - Targetting Array
Mobile, transports Pathfinders

Heavy Support

Broadside x1 - Team Leader, Advanced SS, HW Multi Tracker
Semi-mobile, Anti-tank

Sniper Drone Team x1
Static, Anti-heavy infantry, Anti-light vehicle

Total: 998 points

I'm going to be mostly playing against a Space Marine force. Apparently, he's quite mobile, armed with two razor backs, a land speeder, a couple of small squads of marines, a dreadnought in a 'pod and an assault squad with a chaplain. He's also got a Whirlwind that will be firing mines at me to block me out, backed up with a Scout Squad.
He lacks heavy weapons mind, and he's got a good reason - fluffwise, my army is void of vehicles, so a single 'fish is as good as it gets, that said, I'm not having any Vespids or alot of XV8s. Anyway, I think is main plan is to hit me hard and fast with some covering fire from behind My current plan on the other hand, is to send in my Stealths and Pathfinders to sweep up the rear, and have my two forces crush the remaining force between them.

However, I'm abit unsure. Should I swap the Gun Drones out for TAs? Should I cut back on the EMPs? Should I involve a single anti-tank XV8 squad? Is my Broadside too vunerable? Answers to these questions would be great, though feedback, constructive criticism and some thoughtful tweaks would also be great!

Cheers!

Harlequin2 8)
Making clowning around, a profession...
Harlequin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasUiStavo
Default Re: 1000 point - Tau "Semi-Mobile" team

It's a pretty solid army but a few minor draw backs.

HQ
His fine.

Elites
Lose the Gun Drones and have Targetting Arrays. Also change the Shas'Vre into a Team leader because you don't need +1 I and WS.

Troops
Looks fine but drop the EMP Grenades on the 6 man squad.

Fast Attack
They look good but lose the EMP Grenades on these as well and give your Devilfish a Targetting Array and A Smart Missile System.

Heavy Support
Looks fine but change the Shas'Vre into a Team Leader because you don't need +1 I or WS here either.

It would be very helpful if you did involve at least 1 squad of 3 XV8 Battle Suits. I would surge st this configuration for them.

3 XV8 Battle Suits
Team Leader- Shield Generator, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, HW Multi Tracker
Shas'Ui- 2x Plasma Rifles, 2x Missile Pods, 2x Multi Tracker
This team will work out at 223 points. It should be very effective against Space Marines as there is quite a lot of High Str and AP weapons.
I also advice that you don't use EMP Grenades as It isn't a good idea to use Fire Warriors in Combat. They are much better at long range suppressing fire.

I hope that I have helped.
-ShasUiStavo

Extract from the Necronicon.
ShasUiStavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Great advise Stavo, but I can't put in a XV8 squad after all - too little points, and I don't feel willing to shift my current list to involve them. Also I can't ake out the gun drones in the Devilfish as they're part of my overall plan.

However, I have 41 points left. I'm wondering what to do with them - hehe. I think I should spend 15 points on a Devilfish multi-tracker and Disruption Pod. I also want to involve another Pathfinder for 12 points. An extra warrior in the 6-man team, and a Black sun filter for the Pathfinders would also even the score. What do you think?

Harlequin2 8)
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would try taking out the pathfinders myself.
I find them poor choices for the cost (even more so when the stronger units of your army have TA's anyways) myself. Too fragile for my uses anyways.

More snipers wouldn't be too bad since they can drop marines fairly well.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 10:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I do find uses for the Pathfinders, they're very well suited to beng kept in reserve, and a last minute strike could change the game. However, I'm unsure on what to spend those 41 points on.

Harlequin2 8)
Old 17 Apr 2008, 15:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasUiStavo

I've worked out a way of getting 1 XV8 Battle Suit into your army. You would need to lose the Seeker Missile on the Devilfish and the Stimulant Injector on the Commander. This would leave you with 61 points to use. I worked out a configuration for the Battle Suit that is 59 points.

1 XV8 Battle Suit
Team Leader
Fusion Blaster
Missile Pod
HW Multi Tracker

This could better in a battle than a Seeker Missile and Stimulant Injector.

Extract from the Necronicon.
ShasUiStavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think you should drop your Shas'O to a Shas'El and jsut give the 'El a targeting array, works the same. And loose the shield generator, use the IC rule to hide your HQ is much safer and it's cheaper. You save 35 points this way. Use the DF to screen your HQ.

Your bets bet for that 76 points now is to invest into a battlesuit, something like:

Firesurge Build

Fusion Blaster
Missile Pod
Targetting array
(59)
--reason being that because the fusion and the missile have such a huge gap in range, you'll probably end up using one or the other. This way you'll have really accurate fire.

or

Helios Build

Team Leader
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Targeting Array
hw-multi-tracker
(77)

Now you have a strong anti-MEQ build and you have more backup anti-tank guns.

Now the markerlight support can be focused for you FWs. Personally i'd also switch back that carbines for a rifle, pinning doesn't really work on most armies.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Stavo: Thats a gem Stavo! It's perfect, as I've dug out a model of an XV8 with exactly that wargear!
Ok, I'll make the changes!

Cheers!

@ Mentos: Hmmm... that plan doesn't really doesn't fit for me, see, my Commander has fixed armaments: Plasma Rilfe, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, (though maybe when I have another battlesuit, I'll go for the Firesurge, I like the sound of it). However, I'll change my carbines for rifles as it makes sense they will be doing some pretty long ranged firing!

Harlequin2 8)
Old 17 Apr 2008, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah i see, whatever floats your boat for your HQ.

So what other models do you have or is that your arsenal at the moment?

MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I'm kinda on a low budget. However, I've made a custom Ethereal, and I've got 18 Kroot, and a full squad of Drones. To be honest, I'm abit upset I'm not using my kroot, but I'm advised against it, as last battle I had against marines, the kroot got demolished by the Assault Squad and Chaplain - maybe another time...

Harlequin2 8)