Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750 pt Markerlight/Seeker Experimental List
Old 21 Jun 2007, 04:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1750 pt Markerlight/Seeker Experimental List

EDIT: I screwed up the price for the Broadside team, which is under by 140! I am currently reworking the list.
EDIT: OK, it's fixed.

This is an experimental list intended to illustrate one way of implementing a markerlight/seeker heavy list, based on the concept I described in Markerlight-Seeker Army Experiment. Would it make sense to try to keep concept discussions there, with list-specific discussions here?

General Army List Notes
This unit starts with 19 Markerlights and 18 Seekers. This list has 2 mass-fire markerlight units, as those units are defined in my other post.

The markerlights available can fire at up to 7 different targets, theoretically. I don't think they would be most effective that way. 5 of the markerlights can take advantage of BS4, with the rest at BS3.

I only gave targeting arrays to units where the markerlight can take advantage of it. Everyone else will have to utilize markerlight hits if they need a BS boost.

Putting in the ML's and seeker shots means some sacrifices compared to a typical list. Some of these are obvious in this list.
  • Few XV-8 suits. I am hoping that seeker shots and markerlight-boosted BS will decrease the impact of this.
  • Few Firewarriors. This is just bad, as far as I can see. They might benefit from some markerlight-boosted BS, but boosting BS is more cost-effective with maxed squads.

Units providing markerlights or seekers are indicated by the following:
NML = Networked Markerlights
ML = Markerlights (non-networked)
S = Seeker Missiles

1750 point Tau Army

112 Commander
XV-8 Shas'el
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker

72 Bodyguard
1 XV-8 Shas'vre
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Multi-Tracker
Interestingly, this HQ configuration can be replaced by Commander Shadowsun, with 9 points left over. Commander Shadowsun would be an excellent backup to the markerlight units, helping them overcome target priority tests (and their markerlight hits can allow the big guns to overcome target priority as well. The cost is decreasing shooty goodness, which this list is already limited on. Besides, the Skyrays below can overcome target priority even more effectively.

303 Stealth Team (6NML, 1ML)
XV-15 Team Leader
Burst Cannon
Targeting Array
Markerlight
HW Target Lock
HW Blacksun Filter
HW Drone Controller
2 XV-15
Burst Cannon
Drone Controller
6 Marker Drones
The most expensive single unit, and it's all because of those Marker Drones. Even the team leader, with his upgrades, is there to support another markerlight. This unit should stay back near max markerlight range to maximize the effect of its stealth suits.

235 Fire Warrior Team + Warfish (2S)
10 Fire Warriors
Pulse Rifles
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher
Seeker Missiles(2)

235 Fire Warrior Team + Warfish (2S)
10 Fire Warriors
Pulse Rifles
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher
Seeker Missiles(2)
These Warfish will avoid threat zones initially. Their seekers should be used after the Skyrays are mostly depleted. At that time, perhaps FoFing is in the offing?

233 Pathfinder Team + Warfish (8ML, 2S)
8 Pathfinders
Pulse Carbines
Devilfish
SMS
Multi-tracker
Decoy Launcher
Seeker Missiles(2)
I am not sure of the survivability of these Pathfinders. They need to be up front to assist in the initial seeker strikes, but they will undoubtedly be punished for it.

210 Broadside Team
XV-88 Team Leader
SMS
Drone Controller
Bonding Knife
HW Target Lock
1 XV-88
SMS
Drone Controller
4 Shield Drones
The Broadsides are another prime target, sure to be noticed as the only Rail source in the list. This is also the slowest unit in the list. So, I have given them plenty of shield drones to help them live. This is the priority user of 3 markerlight hits each turn; target priority and BS-boosting.

175 Skyray (2NML, 6S)
Burst Cannons
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers
Flechette Discharger
Blacksun Filter
Targeting Array
Multi-Tracker

175 Skyray (2NML, 6S)
Burst Cannons
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers
Flechette Discharger
Blacksun Filter
Targeting Array
Multi-Tracker
The best markerlights in the army. Hopefully, most of the Skyray-based seekers should be launched ASAP. This will allow the Skyrays to move forward into the opposing infantry. Of course, these are the mobile markerlights in the army. They are also the most accurate markerlights in the army. They get to shoot those markerlights at any target in LOS.
Since Skyrays enjoy Hammerhead-class armor, they can be used to push infantry around with tank-shock. This is probably best left to late in the game, when loss of these markerlights would be less crucial. The Skyrays have BSF's so their markerlights may be utilized to allow important shooters (especially broadsides) to ignore the darkness.

0 Leftovers
1750 Total

Breakdown by Percent
I'm not sure it matters, but I have broken the points down by their percentages according to the Force Org.
184 11% HQ
303 17% Elite
470 27% Troops
233 13% Fast Attack
560 32% Heavy Support

This is the same numbers, but I broke out the costs of Markerlights and Seekers, including any other upgrades intended specifically to allow or improve Markerlight shooting. For most units, this is pretty straightforward. For Skyrays, these are included in the base vehicle cost, so I treated them as if they were separately purchased Marker Drones and Seekers. Arguably, the entire Skyray cost should be included in the Markerlight/Seeker category, but I feel that skyrays still have usefulness even without the Markerlights and Seekers.
184 11% HQ
090 05% Elite
430 25% Troops
197 11% Fast Attack
320 18% Heavy Support
529 30% ML/S(10 Networked Markerlights, 9 normal Markerlights, and 18 Seekers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El'lyi'ot
"What course of actions furthers the Greater Good?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
...kill the opponent from as far away as possible, preferably from orbit.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote