Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

please, come critisize the [i]Klkn[/i] outa my noob list!
Closed Thread
Old 10 Nov 2006, 00:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob
Default please, come critisize the [i]Klkn[/i] outa my noob list!

ok, it took me a long time to finally do it, but i finally got myself into 40k...
i chose tau as my first army cause they looked awsome, i always knew i wanted a shooty army, and i wanted to have alotta fun/mobility
so anyway you can think of to make my army more mobile, more shooty, or more fun would be a big help

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1: (etheral)
Total: (50) [/b]
[size=7pt] (well for the price, you cant beat him, the moral reroll thing sounds like it would come in handy, but it seems like having him protected in a mobile force would be a lil hard) [/size]

[hr]

Elite 1: (crisis team 3)
(twin linked plasma rifles, black sun filter) Total: (174)
[size=7pt] ( figure, im gonna have a few railguns, so why sweat anymore anti-armor? so i went twin linked plasma for termies and what not) [/size]

Elite 3: (stealth teams 6)
Total: (180) [/b]
[size=7pt] (i've heard nothing but good things about these fella's) [/size]

[hr]

Troops 1: (fire warriors 12)
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles, devilfish with burst cannon, MT, DL, and drones) Total: (215)
[size=7pt] (i love the FOF idea) [/size]

Troops 2: (fire warriors 12)
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles, devilfish with burst cannon and drones) Total: (215)

Troops 3: (fire warriors 12)
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles ) Total: (135)
[size=7pt] (to sit around and help out the broadsides) [/size]

[hr]

Fast Attack 1: (drones 8)
Total: (96)
[size=7pt] (fast, cheap and can pin... they are an ugly model, but i love the stats) [/size]

[hr]

Heavy Support 1: (hammerhead gunship)
(DL,MT, railgun and gun drones) Total: (175)
[size=7pt] (kinda pricey, but i love the versatility of the railgun... and how big it is! >) [/size]

Heavy Support 2: (broadside battle suit 1)
(D'yi, twin linked plasma, railguns) Total: (90)
[size=7pt] (just a way to get a "cheap" rail gun, while the D'yi gives them a chance to move while still shooting, helps them keep up with every body else... even it is still REALLY slow, and going monat helps keep casualties down, and stops the over kill) [/size]

Heavy Support 3: ((broadside battle suit 1)
(D'yi, twin linked plasma, railguns) Total: (90)
[size=7pt] (just a way to get a "cheap" rail gun, while the D'yi gives them a chance to move while still shooting, helps them keep up with every body else... even it is still REALLY slow, and going monat helps keep casualties down, and stops the over kill) [/size]

[size=14pt]Army Total: (1420) [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

now thats 80 points left over...
alotta points
so any help in trying to get this to be a respectable 1500 point force would be greatly appreciated ;D

Individual costs removed. You can post the total cost of each unit and the army but it is against the rules to post the individual costs of models and wargear.
Vash113
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good
Default Re: please, come critisize the [i]Klkn[/i] outa my noob list!

Take out all the adding things, it's confusing and against the rules.

If you want to spend 80 more points upgrade the Ethreal to a Shas'O, they are far more useful for their points.

Split the Crisis in to two 1-man squads, or ditch the Stealth Suits to have three 1-man squads. The suits won't be as mobile and might not be able to benefit from cover in their current form. Blacksun Filter? Do you play alot of night fight? If not, drop it for a Targetting Array if your so determined to have twin-linked Plasma Rifles. If not, get Plasma Rifles and Missle Pods with a Multi-tracker, the standard "Fireknife" configuration, able to pop light tanks, and hit MEQ's hard.

The mounted Fire Warriors are great choices, drop the static Fire Warriors though, they don't need to sit around and help out the Broadsides that can shoot 2.5x farther than them.

Good heavy support systems, thats my imput.

Just my .02 cents!

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heya,

First off, don't call yourself a noob outside of your username. It makes you look ignorant, and people will think you have absolutely no self-esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
[size=7pt] (well for the price, you cant beat him, the moral reroll thing sounds like it would come in handy, but it seems like having him protected in a mobile force would be a lil hard) [/size]
Ethereals are a nice unit, but in no ways are they fit to lead a 1500 point army. They've got some nice leadership benefits, but they have no pure strength, and without a bodyguard, or proper scenario, will just get shot down on the first turn, and won't contribute towards anything, besides wasting 50 points from your army. Take a Commander Battlesuit. He's fast, can join units and give them a quick leadership boost, has some great guns, and can take a few hits before falling in battle. Not to mention you've got 80 extra points on your hands:

Quote:
now thats 80 points left over...
There are a lot of nice setups for Commander Battlesuits that fall under 130 points (80+50). For the maximum in flexibility for your Battlesuit configurations you should consult this Magnetized Crisis Suits thread. If you have the time/supplies, it can really help your gaming if you have a lot of different opponents, and it can be just pretty cool thing to have whenever. If you don't want to use this method, invest in all around flexibility, unless you're facing a specific foe a lot of the time (in which case, naming that foe's army would help come up with a good countering setup). All around I'd go with a FireKnife configuration (Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker). It's cheap, offers AP for tough foes, a decent amount of shots for hordes, and enough strength to take down light-medium tanks. All for 112 points on a Shas'O, or 87 on a Shas'El (but I'd go with the Shas'O as it gives you more wounds, better BS, and fills up more of your excess points). For specific foes:

Hordes/Light Infantry/GEQ's= Shas'O w/Burst Cannon, Flamer, Multi-Tracker- 104 points
Heavy Infantry/MEQ's/TEQ's/Vehicles= Shas'O w/Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multi-Tracker- 112 points

Quote:
[hr]

(twin linked plasma rifles, black sun filter) Total: (58 X 3 = 174)
[size=7pt] ( figure, im gonna have a few railguns, so why sweat anymore anti-armor? so i went twin linked plasma for termies and what not) [/size]
Like already stated, the Blacksun Filter isn't going to be too helpful. At least not as a basic setup, as you're not ALWAYS going to be playing nightfight. If you're looking for accuracy (which can be guessed through the twin-linked Plasma Rifles) drop the Filter and swap it for a Targetting Array. Or drop it for a Multi-Tracker and take a Missile Pod in place of one of the Plasma Rifles if you want some balanced power for them, that can take on a lot of different enemies at once.

Quote:
Troops 1: (fire warriors 12)x2
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles, devilfish with burst cannon, MT, DL, and drones) Total: (12x10+10+5+80 +10 +5=215)
Some all around good mobile infantry choices here. Very cheap considering the large squad sizes, and the nicely equipped Devilfish they're mounted in, so it's definitely not costing you anything. Fast, provides great infantry support with pure number of shots, etc. And of course, there's the Fish of Fury tactic that you 'love'. You know you've got a good unit when it performs well, and you like to use it (Fish of Fury tactic for these guys). So some nice stuff here.

Quote:
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles ) Total: (12 x 10 +10 +5 = 135)
An all around good stationary squad here. Again, cheap, large in number, reliable in general. It'd be best to mount these guys in cover, and just let them shoot down anything infantry/light armour they see come their way. The extra casualties will of course be good for boosting your Victory Points count, but if you play your Devilfish mounted Firewarriors further out in the board, your opponent will usually take those guys as more of a threat, and focus more fire on them, leaving your static Firewarrior squad free to take no casualties, and just sit their shooting. It's another squad for cheap prices, what's better?

Quote:
[hr]

Total: (8 x 12 = 96)
[size=7pt] (fast, cheap and can pin... they are an ugly model, but i love the stats) [/size]
I always found their models pretty cool looking if painted correctly/well enough. Anyways, back to the unit. This is an instant classic for me, and for a lot of other Tau players, just because Gun Drones are basically free with the Purchase of main Tau units that come in boxes (as you're mainly just buying the unit, but they come with Drones). With enough boxed sets you have a lot of Gun Drones, and they can be a really helpful unit if you've got nowhere else to spend points, as they put out a lot of shots with enough of them.

Quote:
[hr]

(DL,MT, railgun and gun drones) Total: (90+50+10+5+20=175)
[size=7pt] (kinda pricey, but i love the versatility of the railgun... and how big it is! >) [/size]
Take an SMS on this baby. You've got a lot of anti-infantry support in your army already, so missing two potential shots isn't going to matter much. Besides, SMS is just a great weapon. They offer a lot of shots (not as many as the Burst Cannon, but still a lot), and a great ability to out-maneouvre terrain in City Fights, and any other board with a lot of terrain that might get in the way of your tactical efficiency.

[hr]

All in all a pretty nice force. Just take out the Ethereal and replace it with a Battlesuit Commander. You have the points, and trust me, it'll help you a lot more then the Ethereal in pure shooty matters, and basic physical effectiveness. And if I recall, that's what you were looking for in a Tau force (shooty, mobility).

Check out the Imporant Topics section if you have any questions on any of the units you're using (tactical, or just plain questions). It should answer anything you've got. Seeya around the boards!
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
ok, it took me a long time to finally do it, but i finally got myself into 40k...
i chose tau as my first army cause they looked awsome, i always knew i wanted a shooty army, and i wanted to have alotta fun/mobility
so anyway you can think of to make my army more mobile, more shooty, or more fun would be a big help
Well welcome to the Tau lets take a look at your list.

Quote:
Well this is illegal actually. Crisis suit commanders are 1+ just like Firewarriors meaning you must include one in your army. You can have a commander and an etherial but not just an etherial. Under the old Tau codex you could do this and it was fun to run Tau armies that was nothing but tanks and transports with no infantry starting the game un mounted. But not anymore. Here are some commander suggestions:

Helios Shas'O: Shas'O with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle (I prefer a Shield Generator aswell) and a hard wired multi tracker. Tough nut to crack and has some awesome firepower, nice for taking out hard targets and blasting down multi wound commanders in one shot.
Aurora Shas'el: Shas'el with Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ion Blaster and Targeting array with hard wired multi tracker. Cheap and reliable with lots of firepower.
Fireknife Shas'el: Shas'el with Plasma Rifle, Missil Pod and Targeting array with hard wired multi tracker. Even cheaper and more versatile with a good rate of fire and the ability to down light vehicles and its good against most infantry aswell.

Quote:
(twin linked plasma rifles, black sun filter) Total:
Couple things I can suggest here. First is that Railguns while nice really arent going to solve all your anti armor needs. Take Speed Freak Orks for example. They can get tons and tons of AV10 vehicles, light armor that even pulse rifles can hurt but... there are tons of them and lots of shooting and usually lots of orks. Good str 7 and 8 guns are nice to compliment the smattering of str 10 that the Railguns provide. The blacksun filter is also not going to be coming in very useful overall and a targeting array would be well worth the points. The Fireknife and Deathrain are two good crisis suit combinations using the Plasma Rifle and Missil Pod and Twin Linked Missil Pods respectively. Also crisis suits are best in units of 1. Besides you have a free elite slot. A squad of 2 and another of 1 would work well. For the 2 man squad I suggest a shas'ui team leader upgrade and a bonding knife or you will have the second member running off the board if his comrade dies.

Quote:
Elite 3: (stealth teams 6)
Total: [/b]
[size=7pt] (i've heard nothing but good things about these fella's) [/size]
Looks good, Stealth suits are nice to have just dont relly on them too heavily they wont last long under concentrated fire so dont stick them out on a line. They are excelent for protecting a flank and helping to force enemies off of objectives and support your Firewarriors.

Quote:
Troops 1: (fire warriors 12)
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles, devilfish with burst cannon, MT, DL, and drones) Total:

Troops 2: (fire warriors 12)
(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles, devilfish with burst cannon and drones) Total:

(shas'ui, bonding, pulse rifles ) Total
Looks solid just remember FoF is far from perfect, a nice trick yes but it should just be one of many cards up your sleeve. I also find when mounted 10 Firewarriors works better than 12. They are easier to pile out the back to keep distance from the enemy. With 12 they may not all fit and could be cought in close combat whch 80% of the time or so spells death. I would also suggest giving a multi tracker and decoy launchers to both Devilfish instead of just the one.

Quote:
Total:
A good little unit to grab objectives and harass the enemy.

Quote:
(DL,MT, railgun and gun drones) Total:
I would not suggest the gun drone upgrade. Instead get burst cannons or SMS. The drones are the same price as the SMS and far less effective. 2 shots at BS 2 even twin linked is not as good as 4 at BS4 and especially not when its 4 shots at 24 inches that dont need line of sight. For half the price you can instead get two burst cannons. 6 shots that can fire on two squads is nice. For that reason I also suggest the target lock. Your firepower is almost never wasted when you can fire your burst cannons on the nearby tac squad while the Railgun tries to down the Land Raider farther away.

Quote:
Heavy Support 2: (broadside battle suit 1)
(D'yi, twin linked plasma, railguns) Total:
Not quite legal yet you need a support system. Also for mobility try the advanced stabilization system, the twin linked plasma rifles will usually only come into use when things really arent looking good for the broadsides anyway but you can use the plasma if you wish its a matter of personal choice. nevertheless the broadsides must have a support system.

Quote:
Heavy Support 3: ((broadside battle suit 1)
(D'yi, twin linked plasma, railguns) Total:
Same as above really.

Old 10 Nov 2006, 17:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

thanks for this
this is REALLY gonna help my list out

and as for the broadsides i did have a support system
advanced stablization
(kinda fits with the mobile idea)
but when i abreviated it, it got censored
lol
but yes i will definantly switch out my HQ
and sorry about the posting of wargear cost
i was oblivious
Old 12 Nov 2006, 12:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi,

nice advices, on the HQ I would go with a fireknife Shas'el : Plasma, Missile Pod, Targetting array and hardwired multitracker - 97 pts

I'm with Vash on splitting the crisis in 2 squads : you could keep the 2 crisis squad pretty much as they are equipped now (although a Targetting Array could prove more useful thant BSF), and make the "solo" one a team leader : plasma + missile + TA + hardwired multitracker so that he can help the Shas'el taking out light armor in the beginning then go plasma hunting

Also as a long time Broadside user I would never consider fielding them without shield drones : Broadsides are really the unit that benefits the most from them (those drones are tougher than terminators !). I usually go with two in separate squads and they almost always soak up insane amounts of damage, as I place them into very agressive positions. I would advocate against the plasma on them : if you ever get to need those shots, that'll usually mean you're in trouble already so those points are better spent elsewhere in order to prevent that kind of situation from happening
If you really want them to be able to move and shoot you can still make them team leaders so you can hardwire the drone controller for shield drones but that'll make them quite costy.
Closed Thread