Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hide Away Army, 1200pts vs 'Nids
Old 01 Sep 2006, 19:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Hide Away Army, 1200pts vs 'Nids

This is going to be my list for a game on Monday 4th Sept. I'll be fighting nids in a random mission, so hopefully no dusk/dawn comes up. My opponent always uses a lot of firepower for a Tyranid army, so my idea this time is to field many units that can keep out of sight and still attack, or sweep in at the right moment from cover.

Total=1200pts

Heavy Support

Broadside Battlesuit
Advanced Stabilisers 80pts

Broadside Battlesuit
Advanced Stabilisers 80pts

With these two and a warfish I'll have 3 SMS in play

Hammerhead
Burst Cannon
Ion Cannon
MultiTracker
Decoy Launcher 130pts

Ok, no rail gun. It's low points, and I think I have enough multi-purpose anti hoard, so this is for the warriors and tyrants.

Troops

9 FW
with
Devilfish
Multitracker
Decoy Launcher
Fletchette Dischargers
Smart Missile System 125pts

Probably deploy inside the fish. Could put the fletchetts on the hammerhead instead?

10 Kroot
Shaper
Krootox 126pts

10 Kroot
Shaper
Krootox 126pts

Both these can be concealed, and make adequate targeting rolls

Fast Attack

4 Vespid
Strain Leader 86pts

4 Vespid
Strain Leader 86pts

I've split these up, I think they'll survive better, it's their job to finish off straggling 'Stealers or Warriors.

Elites

Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Missile Pods
Flamer 47pts

Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Missile Pods
Flamer 47pts

Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Missile Pods
Fusion Blaster 55pts

Deathrain is something I've wanted to try for a while. Will operate near commander, behind kroot first of all. Should I drop the FB and have all deathrain?

HQ

Shas'O
Command Relay
Missile Pod
Plasma
HW Multi Tracker 122pts

Intended to support targeting rolls for Crisis and probably kroot, and add to the missile rain; someone needed a plasma gun

I am thinking that I'll probably take second turn, and with the SMS and the battle suits acute senses I should be able to do something even if darkness rules come up. I have plenty of objective taking units, and a nice mix of weapons at various APs.

I'd like to hear ideas for deployment and tactics as much as ideas for list correction. Conisder, and let me know what opportunities I might need to grab.

Thanks for any and all replies in advance,

Gram
Old 04 Sep 2006, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hide Away Army, 1200pts vs 'Nids

I like the heavy support. I usually give one guy 2 shield drones and the other guy target lock, but Ad. Stab. are a great alternative. If that pesky tank is outta site. Move your way there.

I think it is a sin not to take a sub-round against tyranids. You will be amazed by how effective it will be.

For troops i would drop all the pump on your devilfish but decoy launchers. Spend the points on maxing out your squad. For the kroot you can save alot of points by axing the krootox. If you take big boy you can't infiltrate.

Everything else seems fine to me. So add railgun to your Hammerhead. Take stuff off your devilfish. Max out your firewarriors. And drop the krootox.
shasoshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2006, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for getting back to me.

I like what you are saying in many respects. The two broadside are going to be acting as monats. I don't usually take shields agains nids, though I do against all other armies.

One thing you can say for krootox is that they are dead handy against warriors or stealers with extended carapace. Do you sometimes find that infiltrating against 'Nids is counter productive? I usually want to be as far away from them as possible.

You are right about the railgun, of course, and everyone knows it, but I'm worried about not having enough shots to take down big monsters, and it's quite a low points game. Three heavies isn't bad, don't you think?

I'm a little worried about not having enough Firewarriors, you are right there. I tend to field six, nine or twelve man squads, as these are the steps at which the half-strength number increases. I could dronp the fletchettes for another man, but I need the SMS, it's as good as two men and has the no line of sight/ignore night-time advantage.

Cheers for the reply, I'll consider what you have said. The game's this afternoon, so fingers crossed.

Very best,
Gram

UPDATE:

This army performed really well against nids. We had random game length, Recon objective. Escalation. I was able to pull a feint by setting up the kroot, making it look like I would be mostly on one side, then I brought many of my reserves on from the other. The two tanks herded guants amoung some buildings while the missile pods took out synapse. Luckily the Hive Tyrant didn't arrive until turn four. I lost the skimmer full of firewarriors to a fluke glancing hit by some warriors with a venom cannon, but the hammerhead survived three charges by carnifex, with only a weapon destroyed from one of their venom cannons earler on.

The crisis and vespid made it to the other table edge, but with the loss of the skimmer and the hammerhead stunned, I was not able to get a crushing victory, merely a solid one.

One of my first sound wins against the nids.

Best,
Gram
Old 08 Sep 2006, 07:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

Take of the kroots. 1 Geenstealker can kill like all of them. Broadsides are too slow take a hammerhead with rail. Geenstealer says splat. Ap4 large template. Crisis are to messed up if they get that close next turn its move fleet of foot and charge into them good by crisis suit. Take more ranged attacks. I dotn know what the vaspads are hopping to kill expt maybe a non upgraded conofex or a hive tyrat with save 3+. Plasma or railffiles would be much better.

Just played a 1500 game vs nids the tanks saved me. So did the stealth Suits next to my commander.
wind777 is offline   Reply With Quote