Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 pts. Hybrid needs critique
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2006, 04:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 2000 pts. Hybrid needs critique

This is my firt try at making a Tau list (I am a dyed in the wool Eldar player so the list may look a bit odd). Also I will not be using Piranhas they are just to goofy looking to me, kinda like a floating bath tub with wings, any way no Piranhas. Aside from that, suggest away!

Oh Im also at 1847 pts. so I guess this could be used as a 1850 list the way it is.

Kommander Sha’o, twin linked fusion blasters, stimulant injector

3 XV8,flamer, burst cannon, multi tracker ,team leader, bonded, 2 hard wired shield drones
5 XV25, team leader, bonded, 2 hard wired shield drones

12 Firewarriors, Shas’ui, bonded, markerlight
8 Firewarriors in Devilfish, multi tracker, decoy launchers
10 Kroot, 4 Kroot Hounds
10 Kroot, 4 Kroot Hounds

3 Sniper Drone Teams
Railhead, 2 burst cannons, multi tracker, decoy launchers
Old 22 Jun 2006, 04:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: 2000 pts. Hybrid needs critique

For a 2k list, I would max out those two other FW teams and give them Shas'ui, give 1 or both HH a SMS for shooting units out of LoS, plus longer range. I would also relpace the flamers on the Crisis suits with something heavier with some more range... Fusion blasters for tank hunting, missile pods for transport/light vehicle hunting, or plasma rifles for heavy inf. hunting, along with light vehicle hunting. Those are listed in order of cost, with the fusion and pods tieing for 12pts, plasma at 20. The Fusion blasters give you 3 shots and only 12'' to work with, but then the shield drones can earn their points. The Missile pods , on the other hand, give you 6 shots, and a 36'' range to boot....in that case your suits have a good chance of being out of range of some weapons, and being able to JSJ out of the enemy's LoS. The Plasma rifles may only give you 3 shots to work with, but they have enough power to beat up enemy heavy inf. squads, and a 24'' range for single fire, and Rapid Fire rules, so should the enemy get close, you can punish them with a volley of 6 Plasma shots... remember that not all will hit, though. I would reccommend the missile pods for their range, # of shots, and price... It all depends on who you are fighting. On the flamers... they may be cheap, but have so little range that you may be at risk for an assault.. not good! Fusion blasters may also have a low range, but we're hoping that their target (vehicles) will be dead once your shooting phase if over. If not, try and JSJ, and if that isn't possible, then the drones may have to bite it in the name of the greater good.... Just remember this: Missile pods for value, Light Vehicles , Plasma for Heavy Inf. , and Fusion for Tanks! My 2 cents.

-Nuke

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 22 Jun 2006, 12:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I totally see what your saying but here is my resoning why I went with flamer, burst cannon on the suits: the idea of "combined arms" was certainly not lost on me when I read the Tau codex and I figured that these suits would be kept back a turn or 2 if Im fighting an enemy comming towards me then they leap on to te hopefully weakened squad moving in and wipe it out with tons of fire and dakka! I could also rush them forward maybe get their squad they are shooting at down to 3-5 (from 10 assuming its a meq squad) and finish off the squad with firewarrior support fire then sniper team fire.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 14:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

looks like a lot of s5 dakka but it just mite not be enough aganst MEQ lists u need to add some ap 2 weapons in ther plasma

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 23 Jun 2006, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hello, Dean. Welcome to making a Tau army!

Good first start at your list. I have a couple of comments before we start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean
Kommander Sha’o, twin linked fusion blasters, stimulant injector
As is, this is an illegal unit. Shas'O needs (like all crisis suits) 3 hard points filled. The stim injector is not a hard point option. It is special issue wargear. The twinlinked Fusion fill 2 - you need one more. I'd suggest (though expensive) a shield generator for the 3rd. Using the Commander with twin fusions means he will be perilously close to enemies. That close, he will lose his IC protection and be vulnerable to instakill by big lascannon type weapons - where he won't get his 3+ save. A shield generator could be a big help to keeping him on the field, especially when coupled with the stim injector.
Quote:
3 XV8,flamer, burst cannon, multi tracker ,team leader, bonded, 2 hard wired shield drones
As has been pointed out, this is a very short range striking unit! I read your response and think I understand your intent of holding these guys at the front of the line as more or a shield wall, to jump out and engage just before the nasties can get to your firewarriors. It could work. Good luck. I, myself, have not had success with this type of tactic. I'm never good at eyeballing distances, personally. So either I jump out too soon, or too late. Basically, the assault units I face are almost always faster than I can handle, closing the 18" you're ready to protect way too fast. Regardless of what I try to use between them and my firewarriors, it acts more like a "speed bump" than anything else.

As such, I've moved to using Gun Drone squadrons trying to last minute "pin" units as my speed bump shield wall.
Quote:
5 XV25, team leader, bonded, 2 hard wired shield drones

10 Kroot, 4 Kroot Hounds
10 Kroot, 4 Kroot Hounds

3 Sniper Drone Teams
This core part of the list looks relatively solid. Personally, I prefer disruption pods to decoy launchers at the moment. Decoy launchers seem to come into play much less. You may think that disruption pods would, since skimmers can move 6"+ and get glancing only results, but inevitably one of those glancing hits stuns your skimmer and then next turn the penetrating hits fly. That coupled with the amount that I "lose" first turn rights in my games, means that DP's are a little more used in my army.

I've not much experience with Sniper Drone Teams. But I think they will do very well with this set up. They provide your army with much needed AP 3 availability and between them and the firewarrior leaders, you should have some markerlight support to put them to good use. I'd concentrate their fire whenever possible.

Now, looking wholistically at your army...

I guess you're calling this a hybrid because of the skimmers? Looking at it and thinking about how to use it, I get a feel that it's a much more powerful static army. You've taken the crisis suits and basically removed their threat range by saying that they are short range units only there to protect the main body of troops. You've taken your commander and shortened his range as well. Theoretically he could be a lone tank hunter type, but who would support him on the opposite side of the table where the tanks are? He really would seem to be an army of one - a role in which I see him dying quickly. Deep strike him if that's your purpose. He'll burn bright, and short.

24 firewarriors, 28 krooties, and 3 sniper teams make up your static firebase. Add to that the 3 crisis suits which will be protecting them. I suppose you could infiltrate some kroot to assault with, but again, who supports them then? The Tau Empire does best with units working together and overlapping fire or benefiting from other abilities like markerlights and pinning.

The railheads become a bit of a problem here. I'd like them to accompany the transports as support for your "mobile part" of the army, but they are your only big antiarmor guns. So they almost need to operate independantly where needed. Likewise, since they don't have target locks, the burst cannons must fire at the same target as the railgun. Good if you're submunitioning hordes of troops (which, honestly, you have plenty of regular gunfire for) but bad if you need the AP1 STR10 railgun. Seriously consider target locks for these...

This takes us to the cavalry. With only 8 troops, they are weaker "fish of fury" units. In fact, you will likely be fish of furying right in front of your static firebase. FoF works best in my opinion, if the opponent has a lure to be drawn to. In this army, that means - your firebase, you commander if used as a lure, or your stealth team. Of those, the only one that forces an issue is your firebase, as the stealth team and commander do not have the range to really draw in troops from afar. So in effect, the FoF would just add more dakka to your extremely dakka capable firebase. It would be better to leave these fish hidden and then use them at the end of the game to grab objectives with their firewarriors, etc.

Those are just some thoughts. Hope they are helpful.

Aun'Shasta
Livin' in the Fish