Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1700 Point Mech Tau list FINALIZED
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2006, 08:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1700 Point Mech Tau list FINALIZED

EDITED:
I reworked the list and finalized the army. I thank everyone for your help but your comments are always welcome. Pure Mech Tau

HQ

1x Shas'el
-TL: FB, TA

1x Shas'el
-TL: FB, TA

Elites

1x Monat Crisis Suit: Team Leader
-TL: MP, TA, BF

1x Monat Crisis Suit: Team Leader
-TL: MP, TA, BF

Troops

2x Fire Warrior Squads (11 FW + Shas'ui)
-BK

2 Devilfish Transports
-SMS, MT, TA, DL

Fast

2x Piranha Light Skimmers
-Seeker Missiles (x4)

2x Pathfinder Squads (7 + Shas'ui)
-BK

2x Devilfish
-SMS, MT, TA, DL

Heavy

2x Ionhead Gunships
-SMS, MT, TL, DL

Scoring: 9
Models: 52
Old 21 May 2006, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1700 Point Mech Tau list that has me stumped on how to finish

I'm not an expert by any means - this is just my .02

You have no stealth suits, no pathfinders and no marker lights. Look at getting marker lights into that army to increase your BS. Also, stealth suits might help you to get some shots off on some of your opponents "hidden" units. You should have three heavy slots - have you thought about a SkyRay as well?

HTH

LIG
Old 21 May 2006, 12:59   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

this is simple for crisis suits the best combo ever is missle pod , plasma rifle and multi tracker (it lets you fire both at the same time) best combo ever its called fire knife congrats on choosing tau

for your commander i would say plasma rifle (you should always have a plasma rifle) fusion blaster missile pod hard wired multi tracker (so you can fire 3 at once) and maybe hard wired drone controller so you can have a sheild drone for protection
Old 21 May 2006, 13:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas O jarton
this is simple for crisis suits the best combo ever is missile pod , plasma rifle and multi tracker (it lets you fire both at the same time) best combo ever its called fire knife congrats on choosing tau

for your commander i would say plasma rifle (you should always have a plasma rifle) fusion blaster missile pod hard wired multi tracker (so you can fire 3 at once) and maybe hard wired drone controller so you can have a shield drone for protection
Um the multi-Tracker only allows you to fire TWO wep's at once not three, also takeing a sheild drone would stop you from haveing IC protection, which many people seem to think is far better than a sheild drone

Also the FireKnife is a good set up, however i would only take it on a Shas'O or a Shas'el with a Targeting array other Wise they are not as reliable as some other alternatives

Edit: Ill let those who know more help you out on your crisis configs, but have you concidered buying some stealth suits?
Old 21 May 2006, 16:21   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

for the list youve got, youll need something to use against light vehicles. my personal favourite is the deathrain:

2 Shas'uis- 106pts
-Twin linked missile pods
-targeting arrays.

between them you get about 3.5 hits per turn, which should knock anything AV12 or less into submission for a turn.

the HQ, there are many options. id say you also need some heavy infantry killing, and theres two popular configs to use on an HQ to aquire this.

NOTE: these can either be Shas'O commanders, or Shas'Els with targeting arrays. the differance is minimal, as long as you obtain a BS of 5 on these configs for maximum power.

1) cyclicc ion blaster, plasma rifle.
this can be used against most infantry types, from gaunts to marines with good levels of success. can kill be virtue of sheer dakka, as well as a few AP shots. good range as well.
2) Fusion blaster, plasma rifle.
this is also known as the helios, and fires off 3 shots that will punch through any armour. its best used against terminators and the like, as it hasnt enough shots to deal with swarms.

the remaining two crisis suits could be equipped with anything. fireknives are an option, although they are expensive and ineffecient, they have good battlefield flexibility. you could get more deathrains, or drop one of the suits and equip the other one in a popular anti horde config:

Shas'vre- 72pts
-Airbursting frag launcher, Twin linked burst cannons
-HW multi tracker.

-- now, including those costs you with about 60 pts to spare. thats your choice. repost your list so we can see exactly what you have left to spare and we can help take it right to 1700 pts. if you dont want to repost it, thats cool. good luck with the army.

Old 22 May 2006, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: 1700 Point Mech Tau list FINALIZED

It's not too bad, overall. I see three things I wouldn't do in my list.

1) Too many deathrains. These guys kinda suck against things that aren't light vehicles, and I find so few of them.

2) Too many fish teams. I find 3 to be overkill, and the devilfish suck up a lot of points.

3) Upgrades. I'd shuffle them around a bit. BSFs are not worth paying 8 points for (with team leader.) Crisis suits already have acute senses so you have a decent chance to hit anyway. Bonding I probably wouldn't take as it seems to have a low chance to do anything. Decoy launchers on the pirannhas are exactly on the borderline of returning their points or not, as they are open topped and a reroll has a 1/3 chance to leave the vehicle useful. Personally I find that pirannhas die after shooting one round anyway, at least the fusion ones. Finally, I'd put disruption pods on the hammerheads. They help when you get stunned or don't get first turn.

Another point, that personally I don't consider when constructing a list - you have no infiltrators. This can make it very hard to keep an opponent's infiltrators at bay. If you take off the BSFs from the deathrains, you can trade one squad in for a squad of 4 stealths, or shave some more points and get 2 squads of 10 kroot. The kroot are a mixed bag, but I love them, and stealth are nice... but then again, you have a LOT of pulse fire in this list already.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Pretty nice list. It could do well.

Quote:
2x Hammerhead Gunships
-RG, SMS, MT, TL, DL
And here I thought you really liked ion cannons, enough to put one on one of your HHs.

I like your crisis suits, especially one unit of them. I think 2 units of the same could be just fine, but for more versatility a little plasma or fusion would go a long way for the second unit. In fact since you filled only 2 elite slts, you could separate 2 of the suits ans equip them differently. Fireknife, TLFB, TLPL, or whatever.

If was a just a few to many points, you could get them from one of the railguns. ;D

Overall pretty nice.

FiveRings
Old 25 May 2006, 21:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings
Pretty nice list. It could do well.

Quote:
2x Hammerhead Gunships
-RG, SMS, MT, TL, DL
And here I thought you really liked ion cannons, enough to put one on one of your HHs.

I like your crisis suits, especially one unit of them. I think 2 units of the same could be just fine, but for more versatility a little plasma or fusion would go a long way for the second unit. In fact since you filled only 2 elite slts, you could separate 2 of the suits ans equip them differently. Fireknife, TLFB, TLPL, or whatever.

If was a just a few to many points, you could get them from one of the railguns. ;D

Overall pretty nice.

FiveRings

look at the post it is 5 days old. If I had a delete button I would have deleted it :P
Old 25 May 2006, 21:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakopanda
for the list youve got, youll need something to use against light vehicles. my personal favourite is the deathrain:

2 Shas'uis- 106pts
-Twin linked missile pods
-targeting array
Seconded. Great unit. You'll get hooked on them the second they kill anything, because they're dirt cheap, can take down substantial vehicles, and are great at killing squiggoths (however often you may face those...), Demons/ C'tan's, ect...
Old 26 May 2006, 00:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
look at the post it is 5 days old. If I had a delete button I would have deleted it
So what's your point Farseer Tanis? Is that far to old and passe to comment on? A number of people on this forum seem to be a bit prickly. A lot of people wait that long or longer, waiting for a first comment from someone on their list.

Did I wait to long or say something offensive? I thought that was the purpose of posting lists in these forums. I guess we really don't think that much alike...

FiveRings
Closed Thread