Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project: Medusa Strike Force
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2006, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Project: Medusa Strike Force

In Norway (my country) games workshop is holding a small challenge in connection with Medusa V. The task is quite simple, paint a core army (1 hq, 1 elite, 2 troops, 1 fast attack and 1 heavy support). If you manage that within July, you'll get a free blister pack.

Either way, keeping in with my army (Wrath of the Thunderforce, a mechanized Sa'cea Cadre) I decided to make an elite little striking force with a few tricks up its sleeve:

[hr]
[hr]

[size=14pt]Project: Medusa Strike Force[/size]

HQ 1: Shas'o Commander
Plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, missile pod, hard-wired multi-tracker Total: 127 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Elite 1: Shas'vre XV8
Twin-linked missile pod, airbursting fragmentation projector Total: 73 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Troop 1: 8 Fire Warriors
Devilfish, multi-tracker, decoy launcers, smart missile system, targeting array, disruption pod Total: 205 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

Troop 2: 10 Kroot
Kroot rifles Total: 70 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Fast Attack 1: 4 Gun Drones
Independent drones Total: 48 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Heavy Support 1: Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun, burst cannons, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, target lock, disruption pod Total: 175 pts
[size=7pt] [/size]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 698 pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

The theme is a highly trained force equipped for surgical strikes, newest and strongest technology available (Special equipment), ability to move quickly (mechanized) and with a scouting team often paving the way ahead of the main body (Kroot).

I intend to encourage my friends to make such a list as well (700 pts). It might not be the most powerful list around, but I really like the theme and restrictions here.

Cheers!

~Olannon
Old 21 May 2006, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Project: Medusa Strike Force

Looks pretty good. I would however recomend you swap those drones for a piranha and those kroot for a second mounted Firewarrior team. Would bump the points up and still be within your fluff. You could even use 2 or more piranhas in the squadron to help get those points up. Fill out the Firewarrior squads aswell and you would have a decent army and a bit higher points value for a core force.

Otherwise looks cool.

Old 21 May 2006, 18:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would've included a piranha if it wasn't for the fact that my full 1.5k force doesn't include one. I do not intend to buy a piranha to simply fill out a fast attack option here in this strikeforce, although, admittedly I find that a better option myself.

As to the Fire Warriors, I don't have more than 1 devilfish, and my full force doesn't include more than one either. Besides, I love those Kroot, a squad of infiltrators can prove vital in such a small game.

I might decide to add in a few drones, making this 750pts. I'll have to discuss with my friends and see what they think.

~Olannon
Old 21 May 2006, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah I see, well the drones are probably a good idea then. I usually try to always get my lists to 400, 750, 1000, 1250, 1500 etc. Some normal benchmark as thats what most people are comfortable building and its faster for opponents to cunstruct a force that way. However for this specifc thing your doing its probably not necessary.

What about Vespids or Pathfinders? Those would also make a better FA than Drones if you can include them.

Old 21 May 2006, 22:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
What about Vespids or Pathfinders? Those would also make a better FA than Drones if you can include them.
Well, pathfinders in ~700 pts? Besides, I don't intend to use either of them in my main force, so I doubt it.

If I was to expand this to 750 I'd simply beef the drones to 8, no problem...

~Olannon
Old 21 May 2006, 22:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thats a lot of stuff you dont use. Even now I have quite a bit of stuff I dont use at 1500pts but that doesnt mean I wont fight larger battles. My army is headed towards 2500 now. I will probably rarely use pathfinders but Im getting them. Its quite valuable to have the units available to swap around your list when you have to. Sometimes one list just wont work to well in a particular mission if ya know what I mean.

In any case good luck.

Closed Thread