Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Mech Tau for Campaign
Closed Thread
Old 05 May 2006, 17:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1850 Mech Tau for Campaign

So the Medusa campaign will be starting up here soon at my LGS, so I'm getting back to my Tau roots, and gonna kick a bit of butt. I did a double take when reading thru the new codex, and saw the SMS option on Devilfish.... that just screams to be used in a MechTau cityfight game. Not only can we control and obliterate firelanes with massed fire, we can take care of the guys a block over before they get around the corner... so sweet.

Anyway, lemme know what you guys think. I think all the choices are pretty much self-explanitory, no crazy obscure single-use units in this list. Realized that I can make this a pretty cool little Farsight list just by swapping the Ionhead for a Fireknife team. free bonding on all those FoF's.. gonna have to try that out.

[hr]
HQ 1:
Shas'el; Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Multitracker Total: 90 points
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Elite 1:
2 Crisis Suits; Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle; Multitracker Total: 124 points
[size=7pt] [/size]
Elite 2:
6 Stealth Suits; Burst Cannon Total: 180
[size=7pt] [/size]
Elite 3:
Crisis Suit; Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle; Multitracker Total: 62 points
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Troop 1:
10 Fire Warriors; Pulse Rifles.
1 Devilfish; Smart Missile System, Burst Cannon, Targeting Array Total: 205 points
[size=7pt] [/size]
Troop 2:
1 Devilfish; Smart Missile System, Burst Cannon, Targeting Array Total: 205 points
[size=7pt] [/size]
Troop 3:
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Fast Attack 1:
3 Piranhas; Burst Cannons, Targeting Array Total: 210 points
[size=7pt] Ran the numbers on these guys, they now replace my automatic 2 squads of Gun Drones. very nearly the same wound output as the gun drones point for point, and far more survivability. Might split into 2 squads.[/size]

Fast Attack 2:
8 Pathfinders; Pulse Carbine (x5), Railrifle (x3)
1 Devilfish; Smart Missile System, Burst Cannon, Targeting Array Total: 231 points
[size=7pt] [/size]

[hr]

Heavy Support 1:
Hammerhead; Railgun, Smart Missile System; Targeting Array, Multitracker, Target Lock Total: 175 points
[size=7pt] [/size]
Heavy Support 2:
Hammerhead; Ion Cannon, Smart Missile System; Targeting Array, Multitracker, Target Lock Total: 160 points
[size=7pt] [/size]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1847[/size]
Old 05 May 2006, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Devin
Default Re: 1850 Mech Tau for Campaign

I'd drop one Dfish, keep the FW's, in favor of a Broadside.
That way you have more than a single Railhead.
Old 06 May 2006, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I actually like it the way it is. You have two suits with fusion. I really like it just the way it is. I usually have minor comments, but really, don't touch it unitl you have tried it out first.

I think the railgun is terrific, and I take them often, but Tau players tend to depend them overmuch and panic if not included or lost immediatley. on another site I posted a list with no railguns. It was largely an academic exercise, but I played a poor verison of it against ravenguard and lost only three models. He lost all of his.

I wouldn't dream of trying to downplay the wonderful attributes of the railgun, there are other effective ways to construct a list without them.

FiveRings
Old 06 May 2006, 16:19   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

And there would have been two railguns, but there just wasn't the points to get two railguns, and get SMS's on all the Devilfish. Like you said, there's Fusions, and I can pop plenty of Armor 11 as well. And if after some playtesting, I need a bit more, I can toy with swapping in another Fusion on a Piranha or a Stealth, the extra points are there.
Closed Thread